Miami vs UNC game may have to be cancelled/rescheduled

Back in 1999 we played at ECU a few days after a hurricane ravaged the area, including their campus and the game was played.
I remember driving through the state the following Monday and parts of I95 remained closed because of flooding.
So not sure why folks think this game won't be played.

We used to play some epic pick-up football games on the intramural fields during some serious hurricanes.

Life before Jim Cantore

Advertisement
Beyond speculating, there is a briefing today by North Carolina state officials at 4 PM Eastern:

https://www.unctv.org

You can also get an idea of the C2, logistics, and all the other needed support which will be tasked, by looking at the real plan NC follows...Yes, the military axiom of "No plan survives first contact" will apply, but thIs gives you an idea of the amount of resources even a Cat 2 hitting the coastal region will eat up:

https://ncdps.s3.amazonaws.com/s3fs-public/documents/files/NCEOP_2016.pdf

Back in 1999 we played at ECU a few days after a hurricane ravaged the area, including their campus and the game was played.
I remember driving through the state the following Monday and parts of I95 remained closed because of flooding.
Because a lot has changed since 1999 when it comes to “optics” and playing things safely to avoid social media shaming.

Basically because even as little as 20 years ago society wasn't pu$$ified. I am actually a little surprised they havent postponed the game already.

Advertisement
Last I saw was Dorian is just sitting still and the waters around the east coast are cooling which is a good thing. Maybe it uses its warm water up just spinning in the Bahamas. Very unfortunate for the Bahamas though. It has been on top of them for a day it seems like.

That game was moved to Raleigh. Last year ECU canceled a road trip to Blacksburg when Florence was bearing down. Chise is right, its different now.

And regarding the triangle being 200 miles inland is immaterial. Hurricanes are fluid - if you will - and a small veer west can cause major flooding in central Carolina and certainly impact the game.

I will be shocked if the game isn’t played. It will be up to Carolina. A couple years ago State and ND literally played in a hurricane bc State wanted to play. They knew their best shot to win was on a sloppy field and they did.

They don’t want to reschedule and have to deal with our young offense having 2 more months of experience. They feel great about Howell and where they are after that win. They feel like this week is their best shot to win this game

I will be shocked if the game isn’t played. It will be up to Carolina. A couple years ago State and ND literally played in a hurricane bc State wanted to play. They knew their best shot to win was on a sloppy field and they did.

They don’t want to reschedule and have to deal with our young offense having 2 more months of experience. They feel great about Howell and where they are after that win. They feel like this week is their best shot to win this game

Sounds like the bottom line is, it’s up to UNC

Advertisement
Sounds like the bottom line is, it’s up to UNC

You will probably never hear that said out loud, but essentially yes. No school around here is cancelling classes yet. IMO worst case is the team flys in Thursday and the game is played in a downpour. Right now it doesn’t look like the triangle is gonna get any more than 4-6 inches and most of that is gonna be Friday

You will probably never hear that said out loud, but essentially yes. No school around here is cancelling classes yet. IMO worst case is the team flys in Thursday and the game is played in a downpour. Right now it doesn’t look like the triangle is gonna get any more than 4-6 inches and most of that is gonna be Friday

UNC Wilmington made an announcement that they are not cancelling classes and that if the Hurricane Cane there, they would get students 6 hours to get west. They also haven’t postponed any of their 3 men’s soccer games later this week and this weekend

Let’s wait and see before everyone panics. We don’t fly out until Friday. How do u ******* know there will flooding and power outages and whatever?

No one knows yet, but when dealing with the logistics of a game and a Category 4 hurricane, you can't just change things up at the last minute. Tomorrow is already Tuesday. Have to at least get some ideas out on the table.

Advertisement
UNC Wilmington made an announcement that they are not cancelling classes and that if the Hurricane Cane there, they would get students 6 hours to get west. They also haven’t postponed any of their 3 men’s soccer games later this week and this weekend

Which bodes very well for us.

A lot depends on how much pressure the Governor puts on UNC and/or other schools to cancel events in order to keep the roads clear for people evacuating from the coast. Although the hurricane might only affect a small portion of NC, it pulls resources from all over the State. I suspect there will be a lot of power outages and restoring power is one of the highest priorities.

Like I said days, and pages, ago on this thread. This is all going to be, in my opinion, 100% the decision of UNC and the ACC powers that be.

Advertisement

Attachments

• C7BE1C4F-A6B8-4404-81DF-4308CBE92371.gif
    C7BE1C4F-A6B8-4404-81DF-4308CBE92371.gif
    1.6 MB · Views: 11
Advertisement
Back