Miami Herald Barry Jackson offensive looking at QBs. article link 4 of 4 articles

Advertisement
How often do they not?
I can not think of any cases where a Senior QB was complete crap in terms of Completions and Interceptions then returned for his RS SR and did well.

Maybe if luck is on his side his int% will drop, and because of it I'll just call him a below average qb instead of a trash one. But I completely doubt he starts completing 60% of his passes, unless we begin throwing a ****ton of short passes.

The fact some guys don't want to admit is that a very inaccurate senior QB just is what he is - inaccurate. And sorry I'm of the belief that a qb should at least be semi-accurate. sub 50% comp% in every single game that matters essentially, it complete trash.

I'm generally curious what people expect from Malik for the year. Appreciate it.
less yards, less TDs, same INTs, same Comp% (unless we give him more gimmee sub 4 yard passes or something), same running yards, and most importantly losses to teams we shouldn't lose to.

Advertisement
I can not think of any cases where a Senior QB was complete crap in terms of Completions and Interceptions then returned for his RS SR and did well.

Maybe if luck is on his side his int% will drop, and because of it I'll just call him a below average qb instead of a trash one. But I completely doubt he starts completing 60% of his passes, unless we begin throwing a ****ton of short passes.

The fact some guys don't want to admit is that a very inaccurate senior QB just is what he is - inaccurate. And sorry I'm of the belief that a qb should at least be semi-accurate. sub 50% comp% in every single game that matters essentially, it complete trash.

I think USC, one time had a QB that was a bust in his junior year but turned it around in his SR year ... Palmer??

I think USC, one time had a QB that was a bust in his junior year but turned it around in his SR year ... Palmer??
interesting Palmer completing 58% as a Junior is bust. But rosier completing 54% as a Senior is....good?

regardless I'll accept this as a good enough example even though there is a difference of a yr....which is pretty crucial.... Only problem is Carson Palmer is obviously way more talented than Rosier could ever hope to be. This isn't JUST about Rosier being a senior who wasn't good. It's also about the fact he just isn't that talented of a passer in the first place either, so why should we be expecting him to improve enough to actually be considered even an average starter? Thats my point. See Jarren and Nkosi have A LOT more talent than Rosier, and everyone knows it. So if they are currently close in the competition to eachother, I'm going with the younger player who has a LOT more natural talent and room for growth. That just seems obvious. Especially when the older less talented QB sucked the yr he started.

Charlie Ward, and Malik had a better passing rating than him at the same point of their college career. So...yea!

Last edited:
Charlie Ward, and Malik had a better passing rating than him at the same point of their college career. So...yea!
eh. Ward had **** load more talent than Rosier, which is why he ended up a 1st round pick in the NBA. Plus in his RSSR Yr he won the heisman and in 1992, which while you say his stats were bad, he finished 6th in the Heisman voting! It was just a different time period dude. You put 1992 charlie ward on our team with the same schedule and we win out....maybe lose to clemson. We wouldn't have close calls vs FSU, GTech, UNC, etc.

Plus that yr (Wards SR yr, before he wont the heisman his RS SR yr) FSU only lost one game (to us) and won the OB. And in that season 1992, they played 7 top25 teams. Meanwhile we played 4 last year - and Rosier played like *** in all of them. and two of our games were vs Toledo and Bethune while FSU in 92 only had one cupcake.

but you are right he did make a massive improvement from his SR yr to his RS SR yr.

Advertisement
interesting Palmer completing 58% as a Junior is bust. But rosier completing 54% as a Senior is....good?

regardless I'll accept this as a good enough example even though there is a difference of a yr....which is pretty crucial.... Only problem is Carson Palmer is obviously way more talented than Rosier could ever hope to be. This isn't JUST about Rosier being a senior who wasn't good. It's also about the fact he just isn't that talented of a passer in the first place either, so why should we be expecting him to improve enough to actually be considered even an average starter? Thats my point. See Jarren and Nkosi have A LOT more talent than Rosier, and everyone knows it. So if they are currently close in the competition to eachother, I'm going with the younger player who has a LOT more natural talent and room for growth. That just seems obvious. Especially when the older less talented QB sucked the yr he started.
Malik was not a Senior last season. He was a Rs. Junior. You don't go from being a Senior to a Rs. Senior without taking a season off.

Malik was not a Senior last season. He was a Rs. Junior. You don't go from being a Senior to a Rs. Senior without taking a season off.
senior in academic standing. its his 4th yr. who gives a **** about what i labeled it.
Either way Palmer wasn't in his 4th yr, he was in his 3rd yr.

senior in academic standing. its his 4th yr. who gives a **** about what i labeled it.

Looks like 5 years of college stats for Palmer ...

College statistics
Passing
Year Team GP Cmp Att Pct Yards TDs Int
1998 USC 13 130 235 55.3 1,755 7 6
1999 USC 3 39 53 73.6 490 3 3
2000 USC 12 228 415 54.9 2,914 16 18
2001 USC 12 221 377 58.6 2,717 13 12
2002 USC 13 309 489 63.2 3,942 33 10
Total 53 927 1,569 59.1 11,818 72 49

As the post above also indicates, it means you don't know what you're talking about. Stats show the greatest QB improvement comes between a players first and second year starting, regardless of what class he's in academically. You keep hammering that he's a senior like it matters. Well, to the stats it does not. Almost every QB progresses between their first year starting and their second.

Advertisement
Looks like 5 years of college stats for Palmer ...

College statistics
Passing
Year Team GP Cmp Att Pct Yards TDs Int
1998 USC 13 130 235 55.3 1,755 7 6
1999 USC 3 39 53 73.6 490 3 3
2000 USC 12 228 415 54.9 2,914 16 18
2001 USC 12 221 377 58.6 2,717 13 12
2002 USC 13 309 489 63.2 3,942 33 10
Total 53 927 1,569 59.1 11,818 72 49
whatever i looked at only showed 4 yrs, im guessing because he got injured his second yr. weird.
so yeah this is a much better example of a player actually improving from 4th yr to their 5th yr at qb than the charlie ward example (although he did clearly improve, he wasn't trash his 4th yr). though its clear he barely improved his accuracy, and rosiers accuracy is much worse from the getgo.

Any other examples? or will palmer be the only one? cause ultimately I don't even think Palmer really is against my point. Hes a MUCH more talented passer than Rosier is just on talent alone, improved his Comp% about 5%. The real question comes down to can Rosier significantly improve his Y/a or TD% ..or significantly reduce his INT% and improve his Comp%? One of those two options needs to happen, especially the INT% going down. That thing needs to be cut in Half. I'm really focusing in on Rosiers comp% because it was awful and everyone knows sub 60% is trash, and sub 50% is insane for a starting QB her., but his INT%, especially in our important games, was absolutely atrocious.

Rosier sucks. Thats just the facts. I wish he wasnt. I want to root for him. I just cant see how its possible for a guy making some of the mistakes he made, to improve drastically. Love that he gave it his all for the orange and green but he should not be starting.

We need to live and die by the sword that is Nkosi/Jarren.

We will not win a bowl game or the ACC with Rosier as our QB.

Thats just my opinion. He is NOT A CHAMPIONSHIP qb by any stretch, physically or mentally.

Advertisement
Serious question, as I also think he *should* get better, but don't seem to have your level of optimism: what kind of expectations do you have for his results this upcoming season?

I think Rosier will improve his accuracy but I’m not in the group that thinks he needs to throw 60% or more for the team to win. What I expect to see is improvements on making the winning play consistently throughout the season.

Last edited:
What is more likely? That our starting QB in 2019 will play every game or our 3rd str

I think Rosier will improve his accuracy but I’m not in the group that thinks he needs to throw 60% or more for the team to win. What I expect to see is improvements on making the winning play consistently throughout the season.
Improve to 60% for us to win? of course not.

Improve to 60% and drop the int% for us to have a chance vs the best teams on our schedule? Absolutely.

The main argument I have is if you KNOW Rosier is going to complete 50% of his passes and have an INT% above 6%, like he had the final half of the season last year, then why on earth should we start him over any of the freshman? Worst case scenario IMO is the freshman play just as bad. Most likely scenario is that the freshman are as bad or worse than Rosier to start the season, and as the season carries on and we get around week 5 (entering acc play) they are already better than Rosier all around, and by the end of the season the freshman give us the ability to compete with Clemson, whereas Rosier doesn't.

I wish several of the QB's we've had over the years had the cojones that Rosier had. I love the guy's fighting spirit, his charisma, and his gunslinger attitude. Guy would literally run through a wall and risking getting hurt to fight for that extra yard.

The problem is his accuracy. He's just never going to be an accurate quarterback. I also don't think Richt's below average offensive system doesn't help the situation.

In a perfect world I wish we had a QB with more pedigree and a dedicated OC with experience that doesn't ignore the middle of the field....but I'm hoping for the best this season. I don't think it's out of the question Rosier improves a little. Hopefully someone this offseason reminded Richt was a shallow cross is.

This is the way I see it. Richt loves balance and that balance will be key to our success.

Ideally our running game should be much better and deeper than last season. We have a lot of different types of players who can provide different roles. Last year at this time it was Walton and a bunch of inexperienced question marks and no true fullback.
This year we have Homer and Dallas with good experience, Burns who is ready to prove he is a solid power option, a couple of "freshmans" who put up some fantastic high school stats and another "freshmans" who looks to be the real deal at FB and Choc who will battle him for the spot.

I would also like to add that with the addition of an aforementioned FB and two very talented TEs we should be able to be more creative with our personnel groupings on the field and less predictable. This all can also help Rosier get into a better rhythm and put us into position to win every game on our schedule.

Advertisement
Back