Miami Herald Barry Jackson offensive looking at QBs. article link 4 of 4 articles

Advertisement
Advertisement
Almost everything about that article, including the actual writing, made me uncomfortable.
In what way? Can’t be uncomfortable about rosier making strides right?
Perry flashed talent hes just young and came in unprepared in terms of reading defenses due to his coaches in highschool imo .

Williams is a young talent who has impressed early, by enrolling early and having better qb training in highschool it is clearly helping him.

Concerned just for depth purposes only after next spring but i do like the talent as of now

The coaches are politely saying that Perry doesn't get it. Williams will quickly surpass him.
Or that he needs to be groomed because he received sh*tty coaching in highschool...

Remember Perry is only a redshirt freshman, let him develop, how can people write him off when he’s only went through 1 fall camp and a spring training camp? Let’s see what he does in the games he will play in this year in the blowouts

QB room in 2019 could be disastrous. Kosi or Weldon could be gone or both...
The key recruitment job in the summer of 2019 is to prevent two QBs from transferring. One most likely will transfer, if we miss on a stud in this recruiting cycle we must keep 2 of the 3 backups we have in the team now long term.

Advertisement
It will likely take perry longer than i thought to be ready. He came from a high school spread system and didn't get great coaching. Now he is having to learn a pro style system while trying to develop as a qb.

A national recruiting guy with 247 recently said that perry was the most talented qb on the roster but he didn't get it as good as williams. Said he felt williams would be the guy maybe by fsu.

Or that he needs to be groomed because he received sh*tty coaching in highschool...

Remember Perry is only a redshirt freshman, let him develop, how can people write him off when he’s only went through 1 fall camp and a spring training camp? Let’s see what he does in the games he will play in this year in the blowouts
“One UM football staffer (not any of these defensive coaches) cautioned that Perry usually was competing against better defensive players than Williams faced this spring, and that was a mitigating factor.” Guess everybody just skipped over this too. Just let things play out

Perry flashed talent hes just young and came in unprepared in terms of reading defenses due to his coaches in highschool imo .

Williams is a young talent who has impressed early, by enrolling early and having better qb training in highschool it is clearly helping him.

Concerned just for depth purposes only after next spring but i do like the talent as of now
1. I think Coach Rumph should be given more coaching in speaking to the media - by either Coach Richt (who's actually fantastic in toeing the line between candor and coachspeak) or a communications professional in our program. Sounds like he's a man who really means well, though.

2. Perry's described struggles don't match up with much of what's been said by people who have watched practice or anything I've seen in live games. For instance, he moves his feet well in the pocket, but his platform is inconsistent and makes him erratic. Come to think of it, Rosier has the same issue. We'll see if he's improved this in a sustainable way. In short, that makes me feel uncomfortable about the tiny details of our QB coaching development.

3. The overall conversation led me to wonder what's going to happen to depth in 2019.

4. The writing is thrown together.

Add em up. Article made me cringe a bit. No big deal.

Advertisement
1. I think Coach Rumph should be given more coaching in speaking to the media - by either Coach Richt (who's actually fantastic in toeing the line between candor and coachspeak) or a communications professional in our program. Sounds like he's a man who really means well, though.

2. Perry's described struggles don't match up with much of what's been said by people who have watched practice or anything I've seen in live games. For instance, he moves his feet well in the pocket, but his platform is inconsistent and makes him erratic. Come to think of it, Rosier has the same issue. We'll see if he's improved this in a sustainable way. In short, that makes me feel uncomfortable about the tiny details of our QB coaching development.

3. The overall conversation led me to wonder what's going to happen to depth in 2019.

Yeah Barry Jackson has been getting worse the last couple of years. Remember I think In the spring or maybe even the fall last year he said perry didn’t throw the deep ball well, and then we see Perry throw a perfect throw down the field to Hightower in the spring?

Last edited:

If I had a nickel for everytime the coaches said how much Rosier was improving and how his accuracy is better. They always say the same thing, they said it going into Kaaya's junior year as well. You would of thought he was a Heisman, but he actually took strides back. I trust my eyes over the years and unfortunately I don't think Rosier will be any better this year. I hope that I am wrong, but I just can't see it.

Btw if you saw the spring game Rosier played the worse of all three regardless of the stats. He took so many sacks deep in his own half that the opponent would of easily got points off of it. The spring game showed nothing improved, so unless they are talking about how he looked in the summer with no rush, he hasn't improved one bit. Rosier is Rosier, decent and can get us to 10 wins, but Clemson will destroy him.

Yeah Barry Jackson has been getting decreasingly worse the last couple of years. Remember I think In the spring or maybe even the fall last year he said perry didn’t throw the deep ball well, and then we see Perry throw a perfect throw down the field to Hightower in the spring?

Decreasingly worse?

Advertisement
end of the day, Peter gassed everyone up on perry. guys like @Coach Macho who coach football knew he wasn't ready.
It's clear from that article Malik is starter and Jarren will be the future.

Just my two cents, I think Rumph is going back to what other coaches have said about Perry, except maybe didn’t say it as well as others have. It’s not that Perry doesn’t move well in the pocket. It’s that he’s too quick to move out of the pocket.

You see it from almost every QB that came from one of these Spread/One read and go offenses. When his number one read is there, he throws a great ball. When it’s not, he tends to take off instead of using his feet within the pocket to find his 2nd and 3rd options.

It’s a tough habit to break, and it’s why I said this time last season that there was no way he’d be starting last season.

Just like Rumph was saying about Thomas. All the defense has to do to shut him down passing is identify his first read.

Best news on that article was about Jordan Battle haha. “has to play out, then I’ll see where I want to go after that.” If Urban gets canned, we might steal him.

Advertisement
Back