Miami football projected 8-4

Advertisement
If we lose to FSU this year with the dumpster fire they are at the moment, I would have no faith moving forward.

4 losses would be complete failure all around. We have better QBs than last year, Enos running the show, better online coaching, experience in the front 7 with Garvin, the LBs and transfer, and what should be a much improved kicking game.

I agree but don't forget both teams pretty much always step up for this game. Golden nearly beat a Winston/Cook led FSU team in 2014 that finished the season #2 and lost in the BCS playoff. I will never underestimate FSU even when they are in the gutter.

No issue with 8-4 from me in the guy’s first year being a HC, EVER.

Of course, I want more. But 8 wins for a 1st year HC in a P5 conference is legit!

My only requirement is he can’t let the guys quit on games. Bad games and bad game plans will happen. It’s the learning curve of being a HC. But I’d like to see a competitive team that plays hard.

The wins will follow if the culture of playing hard is established.
For a first year coach taking over a team that 2 years ago was a game away from the cfb playoffs is very mediocre..we have a lot coming back as far as talent. Manny is taking over a more talented squad then the last 3 previous coaches here..with that said if the oline is the same as last year in performance the 9 wins is the ceiling

I get your point. I really do.

But Texas had more talent than Maryland. Maryland beat them in Tom Herman’s first season. And Herman wasn’t a first time HC.

Ohio State had more talent than Purdue, but Purdue beat them. And Urban Meyer is a Top 5 coach of all-time.

Talent doesn’t always win. It matters, but coaches still have to coach. And Manny is a first time HC.

He’ll have some oops games. It is what it is.
You realize to go 8-4 Manny would have to lose every game against a semi competent team and only win the easy games against scrub teams. 8-4 would mean losses to UF,
FSU, UV, and then also one of the ever lower tiered teams like VA Tech or UNC. If we go 8-4 then Manny is the second coming of CMR!

Advertisement
Not sure but he has us as his #2 surprise team and usually hits on those. Had Notre dame as the #1 surprise team last year and they went to the playoffs. Also has Miami coming into the season ranked #15, with the #2 rated defense in the country
Sounds like you guys discount an article that has us 8-4 and cherry pick for other “predictors” that have us with a better record.

we've had 1 10 win season and basically go 7-6 every other year. id guess around the same if i didnt follow closely.
Exactly. You have a so called expert who doesn’t necessarily know the intricacies of each team.
Honestly this is just more Bulletin board material for the Canes to motivate themselves. I hope the Gators see this too and continue to sleep on Miami!

I agree but don't forget both teams pretty much always step up for this game. Golden nearly beat a Winston/Cook led FSU team in 2014 that finished the season #2 and lost in the BCS playoff. I will never underestimate FSU even when they are in the gutter.

Agreed but even with a lose to them, we shouldn’t lose 3 others. Max is 3 loss season or it’s a failure! There is no explaining it any other way for me to agree.

Advertisement

Of course, I want more. But 8 wins for a 1st year HC in a P5 conference is legit!

My only requirement is he can’t let the guys quit on games. Bad games and bad game plans will happen. It’s the learning curve of being a HC. But I’d like to see a competitive team that plays hard.

8-4 is completely unacceptable with the 2019 schedule. That record would be a failure.

I'm a big believer in Manny but that wouldn't be acceptable. We have some elite talent on offense and and some potential All Americans starting on D. 10 or more wins or immediately skeptical of the Diaz regime.

We have 1 consensus pre-season All-America. I've seen a couple of other guys sneak into 3rd teams in a small number of the very many preseason magazines.

We do this every year: we think we have top talent all over the field, when we really don't. We have many good players, no doubt, but very few (if any) elite talents.

Proof: our recruiting is good not great, and our draft results this decade have been consistent with that. Take a look at last year, where we ended up with a bunch of middle-and-late draft picks.

Our players overall are good-not-great when they get here, and good-not-great when they leave. Even with our schedule (which isn't too different than last year's), that's not a lock for 10 wins. 8-9 is a reasonable expectation.

Advertisement
... Bad games and bad game plans will happen. It’s the learning curve of being a HC. But I’d like to see a competitive team that plays hard....

You don’t know yet?

According to the CIS cognoscenti, anything less than undefeated or 11-1 is a fireable offense.

8-4 with this schedule and they’ll call for the banners

Advertisement
So you're OK with losing 4 ACC games? Because that's where the losses would come from. Is 4-4 in the ACC an acceptable season to you?
Sure. If 8-4 is the scenario, then yes. I'd take 4 conference losses in exchange for a BEATDOWN of UF and FSU. Those are the biggest recruiting rivals we have right now. We're not losing or winning any recruits to UNC, GT, Duke, VT, or UVA. Need those state bragging rights.

I personally believe we have the talent to win every game on our schedule. No reason why why we shouldn't go undefeated in the regular season.

But we know that's probably not going to happen.

The ACC is very competitive from top to bottom. There aren't many doormats.

Teams like NC State, Pitt, Cuse, BC, GT are usually good for sneaking up on a better team and snatching a win.

So you're OK with losing 4 ACC games? Because that's where the losses would come from. Is 4-4 in the ACC an acceptable season to you?

Sounds like another season at Miami to me. It's not like Manny Diaz was a break from the norm in hiring practice. Remember the last coach we poached from Temple? Last time we hired our former DC?

Sounds like another season at Miami to me. It's not like Manny Diaz was a break from the norm in hiring practice. Remember the last coach we poached from Temple? Last time we hired our former DC?
My point exactly. 8-4 is certainly a possibility and one we've come to expect. It's also totally unacceptable given the schedule that's there.

Advertisement
Back