Memphis OC Dillingham: Do with this what you will

Sounds like Gus Malzahn may be out at Auburn.. He would be a homerun as an OC but he would probably be scooped up pretty quick as a HC somewhere.

Advertisement
Richt would rather quit than to give up play calling (his words when he was first hired at Miami).

Therefore, if he is not going to quit, the next best thing is to bring in someone that can install a new offense (spread). A seasoned OC, who has been calling plays, is not going to take a step back and go back to not calling plays, especially at this current version of Miami.

Getting a "Group of 5" OC, who currently does not call plays, but happens to come from a potent spread offense, which he help design, is a more realistic option. In this context/scenario, Dillingham is a very solid option!

It could just mean Jarren is looking to transfer....

tenor.gif

Advertisement
Yost
Longo
Enos
Jedd Fisch
Mike Sanford
Kliff Kingsbury
Spurrier Jr.

All available, all with experience calling plays in systems better than ours.
Doubtful any would come here or work out with Richt. Some are more ambistious, some too stubborn.

Richt would rather quit than to give up play calling (his words when he was first hired at Miami).

Therefore, if he is not going to quit, the next best thing is to bring in someone that can install a new offense (spread). A seasoned OC, who has been calling plays, is not going to take a step back and go back to not calling plays, especially at this current version of Miami.

Getting a "Group of 5" OC, who currently does not call plays, but happens to come from a potent spread offense, which he help design, is a more realistic option. In this context/scenario, Dillingham is a very solid option!

Yep, we'll see. The next 5 years are going to be 100% driven by this hire. Will Richt adapt and hand over duties to a new guy? Or will he hire a JAG coach and still have say in playcalling (as well as Brown and Richt Jr). I think the latter is much more likely but hopeing that Richt sees the writing on the wall and adapts and does not let ego drown him and this program

I understand everyone is desperate and going crazy for a change but this isn't the answer IMO even if this is true. We need a proven vet, not a young pup with no play calling experience. If he is QB coach then cool, but OC? Negative.

Advertisement
After doing just a little research, if we are seriously looking at this guy, I have two takes at this point.
  1. He is (embarrassingly, given Dillingham's short resume) more qualified and a massive upgrade over Jon Richt as QB coach. If we hire him and that's the only change made to the staff, it would be a sizable step in the right direction, but not a big enough one for me.
  2. We can and should do better than this guy, especially when a guy like Kingsbury is considering taking the same post at UNC. Give me someone who has been calling plays and coordinating an offense for years, not a guy who's got one year under his belt with a OC title, but has never called plays at the college football level.
This seems like exactly the type of half measure that many have been predicting Richt would take to settle the masses. I'm not sold.

After doing just a little research, if we are seriously looking at this guy, I have two takes at this point.
  1. He is (embarrassingly, given Dillingham's short resume) more qualified and a massive upgrade over Jon Richt as QB coach. If we hire him and that's the only change made to the staff, it would be a sizable step in the right direction, but not a big enough one for me.
  2. We can and should do better than this guy, especially when a guy like Kingsbury is considering taking the same post at UNC. Give me someone who has been calling plays and coordinating an offense for year, not a guy who's got one year under his belt with a OC title, but has never called plays at the college football level.
This seems like exactly the type of half measure that many have been predicting Richt would take to settle the masses. I'm not sold.
I agree other than Kliff mullling the UNC position. Reports say they are interested in him not vice versa.

Advertisement
If going to get an OC who hasn't called plays, then get Bedenbaugh from Oklahoma. Solves the OL problem as well.

Coaches from the Mike Leach tree have been largely successful and Bedenbaugh could be the next good one. Coaching trees are like bloodlines for race horses. If I'm going to spend a million on a racehorse, I'd be more confident with the foal of winners than one of uncertain heritage. If I was running a program and saw someone from the Mark Rick tree, I'd avoid them like the plague because everyone who has coached under him has been a failure (Manny might be his first real success).

Twitter follows aside, I am very confident this is not going to be a member of our staff, at least not in a senior position like offensive coordinator. You guys need to chill out.

Advertisement
I agree other than Kliff mullling the UNC position. Reports say they are interested in him not vice versa.

Fair enough, good point. That rumor surprised me as well, he seems more likely to be an NFL OC than go to a mid-tier college. Then again, some guys just like the college game, etc...

That said, there are much better names out there that we could realistically land. As others have said, this hire is a litmus test for how stubborn Richt is going to be and how hard the BOT/AD is willing to push, at this time. I personally think this hire would most likely mean this program is sunk, from the perspective of competing for national championships for the next half a decade. It also makes a lot of sense for why it could happen, as has been explained.

While it's certainly possible we could be playing Memphis in a bowl game, or they could be coming for Jarren, or both, it all sounds logical enough to consider OP's theory valid until disproven.

Advertisement
Back