Mel and Todd on Canes D Ends

That group decides game to game or even play to play who needs to stay or go.

Think of the hot takes we've seen this season alone about Zion, King (a midget who can't complete a pass past the line of scrimmage according to two resident geniuses), Phillips, Roche, Harley, Pope, Cam and Flagg just to name a few.

Now Bolden and Blades are the scrubs that take most of the wrath.

Advertisement
If Phillips tests well, I could definitely see that. Does he have enough film though? We are limping to the finish line in these last 3 games due to Covid. But would love for us to have 3 DEs go in the top 3 rounds. That would bode well for DE recruiting.
He will end up with as much film as GR15. 12 this year and about half his freshman year right?

Advertisement
Players like Phillips tend to rise fast. He will put up huge numbers at the combine, our coaches will give glowing reviews, he’ll be smart in interviews, teams will fall in love with the motor and sell themselves on the strong finish.

What? You mean we can't believe the "needs more tape" mopes?

Advertisement
Anyone who thinks this kid goes anything other than top 5-10 in the 2021 draft including Mel Kiper and McShay need to have there heads checked. Majority of this kids sacks came off of high effort plays and pure athletic ability which jump off the screen at you when watching his tape. Legit 6'7 and around 265-270 lbs with DB speed but now has DT power with the added weight this a RARE repeat RARE athlete. NFL d-line coaches are getting something special. Please take a look at his Highschool highlights first before you watch anything else and just ponder......

GR15 goes in the 10-20 range and will be grilled by scouts on why he quit on Miami this year because of Covid.

Phillips is GR15 lite. Great build shows flashes on tape but isn't consistent enough. Probably will be a 2nd rounder, maybe late 1st depending on how he does at combine.

Both guys have a lot of the same issues, very raw and don't have enough on tape to really justify one being in the top 10 and the other a 1st rounder but have the athletic tools that if a team has a plan and is patient both could flourish in the league.

Roche is what he is. Undersized and can't stop the run. Brings a solid pass rush but nothing elite. Probably 3rd-4th rounder.

All I know is as a Bucs fan I'd much rather get Phillips than Rousseau. Some of that is scheme related but a big component is the certainty in knowing when you're getting. Phillips' motor, intangibles, run D and projectable athleticism are easy selling points.
Nah Rousseau is Calais campbell/ Jason pierre Paul esque. People really underrating what he did last year. He was a monster and it was really just his first year playing dline officially full time. He has so much room to grow.

but regardless id love both for the Bucs honestly. I dont Think we are going to sign shaq barret back, he doesn’t look the same as last year play wise and he’s gotten fat kind of 😂, sign me up for Phillips in the first or 2nd round. Greg should be gone top 15 or so and Bucs obviously not ending up there

Advertisement
It is what it is.

Time to start the DE U marketing train.
Especially with how loaded the 2022 class is at DE down here. Greg definitely could’ve used another year but he will still be a top 10 pick, Him and Phillips will dominate the combine. If Phillips came back he would be a 1st round lock.

Advertisement
Nah Rousseau is Calais campbell/ Jason pierre Paul esque. People really underrating what he did last year. He was a monster and it was really just his first year playing dline officially full time. He has so much room to grow.

but regardless id love both for the Bucs honestly. I dont Think we are going to sign shaq barret back, he doesn’t look the same as last year play wise and he’s gotten fat kind of 😂, sign me up for Phillips in the first or 2nd round. Greg should be gone top 15 or so and Bucs obviously not ending up there
Calais was 290 at the combine. I don't see Rousseau turning into a 5-tech technician like that. JPP is in his range of outcomes if he improves his quickness off the ball and plays with more violence.

I'm just saying there's comfort in drafting a 1st round player who has an established floor, who you know can step in and play a role right away. It's unclear if Rousseau can play on early downs or rush from the edge effectively on day 1. Drafting an EDGE player in the top 15 for his potential and production from the interior against overmatched ACC linemen...idk about that. He better have a monster combine to make that more palatable.

Calais was 290 at the combine. I don't see Rousseau turning into a 5-tech technician like that. JPP is in his range of outcomes if he improves his quickness off the ball and plays with more violence.

I'm just saying there's comfort in drafting a 1st round player who has an established floor, who you know can step in and play a role right away. It's unclear if Rousseau can play on early downs or rush from the edge effectively on day 1. Drafting an EDGE player in the top 15 for his potential and production from the interior against overmatched ACC linemen...idk about that. He better have a monster combine to make that more palatable.

rousseau reminds me of a supersized but slower josh Allen (jags/Kentucky). Not a real speed to power guy but very effective. I doubt rousseau runs a 4.65, though.

phillips to me is ALL speed to power. Almost like Devon Kennard from Arizona State, but maybe a higher ceiling.

I actually think Phillips has more 3-4 OLB potential than Roche. I see Roche as a pure 4-3 end. Poor man’s Derek Barnett.

rousseau reminds me of a supersized but slower josh Allen (jags/Kentucky). Not a real speed to power guy but very effective. I doubt rousseau runs a 4.65, though.

phillips to me is ALL speed to power. Almost like Devon Kennard from Arizona State, but maybe a higher ceiling.

I actually think Phillips has more 3-4 OLB potential than Roche. I see Roche as a pure 4-3 end. Poor man’s Derek Barnett.
I was lower on Allen than I should've been, though I still think Brian Burns is/was better. I can see that one.

I compare Phillips to Danielle Hunter who had 4.5 career sacks at LSU.

So we lose 3 top DEs in one draft. What’s next for the DLine? Do we have anything left in the barrel? Can Harvey and Cam really step up to an elite level or does this reload take a couple of years?

Advertisement
Back