Mel and Todd on Canes D Ends

My thought process with GR is, if his heart wasn't in it to play them he did the right thing sitting out, even if cost him a few millions. I actually don't believe it will, because IF he's the top EDGE prospect in the class he will get picked top 10 easy and I think the "he would be top 5 if he played" is not necessarily true
GR15 is a good finisher in terms of getting the sack once he is there. The concern for me is his ability to consistently get there. He gets caught up at the line at times and is out of too many plays. That’s why his QB pressures are low despite his high sack total. Now, Phillips isn’t a quality finisher (yet), but he is **** near always in the backfield. If he finished like GR15, he waited have more sacks to go with the QB pressures.

Advertisement
I'm not sure what Kiper and his merry men in here are smoking but GR-15 is going to be an absolute monster in the NFL. Here's a guy that got into the backfield with ease and is only scratching the surface of his potential. Any team that passes on him will be wishing they didn't. Some of you need to go back and watch his highlights. Guy is an absolute freak!!!

Last edited:
I told Y’all when people was scrutinizing Phillips mainly pass rushing production that people were underrating his impact on plays and on the defense, now that’s Hes putting up big numbers y’all finally see but he’s put out a lot of great film just this year alone. With his body type, athleticism and film he will get drafted high. Gifted guy

I'm not sure what Kiper and his marry men in here are smoking but GR-15 is going to be an absolute monster in the NFL. Here's a guy that got into the backfield with ease and is only scratching the surface of his potential. Any team that passes on him will be wishing they didn't. Some of you need to go back and watch his highlights. Guy is an absolute freak!!!
Hope Mel has a prenuptial agreement.

Advertisement
GR15 will be in elite shape and will kill the combine. He will be a top 10 pick.
We talk all this BS but not many teams are going to pass up on Rousseau once he walks into that combine room in boxers and no shirt on. He looks like a freak and hes still young! His tape speaks for itself.

And to the people who say, "He hurt himself by not coming back". Lets see how NFL teams really view players who sat out to prevent themselves from catching Covid. Do you guys feel the same about Jamarr Chase? He only balled out one year. And most would predict hes a top 10-15 pick.

I think you guys are being fans and not realizing scouts wont give a **** about that when the time comes. Either they think he will be a monster or they wont.

Advertisement
Players like Phillips tend to rise fast. He will put up huge numbers at the combine, our coaches will give glowing reviews, he’ll be smart in interviews, teams will fall in love with the motor and sell themselves on the strong finish.
He has more heart than GR

IMO Rosseau cost himself several million initially by not playing this year.

I think he goes more like 12-15 when he could have gone top 5 ish.
Honestly, I don’t think he was going to match last year’s production again. He would have still been a fairly early pick because he’s a freak athlete for his size but let’s say he played this season in a rotation with Phillips and Roche. There’s a good chance be doesn’t get anywhere near 15 sacks again. Does that potentially hurt his stock?

Advertisement
We talk all this BS but not many teams are going to pass up on Rousseau once he walks into that combine room in boxers and no shirt on. He looks like a freak and hes still young! His tape speaks for itself.

And to the people who say, "He hurt himself by not coming back". Lets see how NFL teams really view players who sat out to prevent themselves from catching Covid. Do you guys feel the same about Jamarr Chase? He only balled out one year. And most would predict hes a top 10-15 pick.

I think you guys are being fans and not realizing scouts wont give a **** about that when the time comes. Either they think he will be a monster or they wont.
So u agree with me?

Advertisement
It’s funny how ya’ll was on @Dwinstitles head when he talked about GR15 get off, and two draft experts noticed the same thing.

Greg needed to come back to refine his skills, but w that size & go-go gadget length, he’s definitely going 1st round. (Thank you Coach Simpson)

If imma honest, Rochè has been underwhelming. He looked like a Day 2 lock at Temple. He had some decent games, but nothing memorable. I legit forget he’s on the field. He’s at what? 35 total tackles, 2.5 sacks & 1 FF/FR? Far cry from what his production was at Temple.

Phillips, ironically, have shown the best effort, consistently, and now that effort is becoming disruption the past two games (18 tkls & 3.5 sacks in 2 games v. 19 tkls & 1.5 sacks his first 6 games). He’s going to need to finish strong in order to crack the 2nd round. Unfortunately NFL scouts don’t look at a couple of games as a measuring stick vs. body of work + potential.

McShay: I've had an edge rusher at No. 1 or No. 2 on my board in every class since 2014. But this year, my top guy is way down at No. 12 in my rankings at the moment. That's Miami defensive end Gregory Rousseau, who isn't even playing this season, having opted out due to the COVID-19 pandemic. He has a lot of power as a pass-rusher but is an inconsistent finisher. Still, he was second in the FBS last season with 15.5 sacks -- right behind Young -- and posted 19.5 tackles for loss. That's high-level production. He can overwhelm blockers but needs to work on his body control a bit.

Kiper: Rousseau is my top-ranked defensive end, too, but he's only 15th on my Big Board. Are teams really going to gamble a top-five pick on a pass-rusher who played 15 college games? Even with that production, I didn't see an elite prospect on his 2019 film. He had some coverage sacks and didn't show high-end explosiveness off the snap. I really wanted to see him come back and play this season. Still, you can see how teams could fall in love with his potential. And this is why next year's NFL combine will be so important.

Kiper: Basham, to me, is more of an all-around guy than a true pass-rusher. He doesn't have the quick-twitch abilities of these other guys. Ossai, on the other hand, does have some explosion in his game, but almost all of his production this season came in that Oklahoma State game. And at 6-foot-4, 245 pounds, he's a tweener -- will he play outside linebacker in a 3-4 defense, or could he put on some weight and play end in a 4-3? They have Day 2 grades from me.

How much have you seen this season from the other two Miami pass-rushers, Todd?

McShay: You're referring to the two transfers, Jaelan Phillips (UCLA) and Quincy Roche (Temple). I actually just dug into the Hurricanes' tape this week -- it has been a busy year -- and wow, Phillips is a handful. The way he turns the corner and closes on the QB is impressive. And Roche is intriguing as a 3-4 outside linebacker at the next level. He has some quickness off the edge, posted 13 sacks at Temple last season and already has 11 tackles for loss in eight games this year.

Kiper: Phillips, who had 2.5 sacks on Saturday, has looked dominant the past few weeks. He could be a riser, and I expect both to be off the board by Day 2 of the draft.

Phillips if he finishes strong is definitely gonna be round 2 or 3 guy. No way he stays with those grades. He has a high motor you can't teach that. Hand technique, Hand placement can be taught.

It’s funny how ya’ll was on @Dwinstitles head when he talked about GR15 get off, and two draft experts noticed the same thing.

Greg needed to come back to refine his skills, but w that size & go-go gadget length, he’s definitely going 1st round. (Thank you Coach Simpson)

If imma honest, Rochè has been underwhelming. He looked like a Day 2 lock at Temple. He had some decent games, but nothing memorable. I legit forget he’s on the field. He’s at what? 35 total tackles, 2.5 sacks & 1 FF/FR? Far cry from what his production was at Temple.

Phillips, ironically, have shown the best effort, consistently, and now that effort is becoming disruption the past two games (18 tkls & 3.5 sacks in 2 games v. 19 tkls & 1.5 sacks his first 6 games). He’s going to need to finish strong in order to crack the 2nd round. Unfortunately NFL scouts don’t look at a couple of games as a measuring stick vs. body of work + potential.
they get mad at me for truth speaking, i get sometimes im wrong but thats how u evaluate prospects. Even if they wear orange and green u got to be real. His get off isnt good thats the truth. I also dont get how everyone was big on roche his get off slow af. When u see the elite teams at most there positions guys have good first steps, and when u can put your hands on someone first and have that explosive step u are a beast.

Roche was at a **** conference over here in the ACC its better comp so there numbers are inflated.

He made a few mistakes including one against Clemson that changed everything that a guy wifh his experience shouldn’t make. He’s been very underwhelming to me

Advertisement
Back