Mel and Todd on Canes D Ends

It also means he's gonna be in play for better teams... Guess no one thought that through. Front end will cost him first 3 to 4 years some money. Nothing huge but some. However on his second contract where we make our real money he'll be in play to get paid for real because he'll be playing along side better talent meaning he can't be keyed on as easily. Until he develops more than freakish length and athleticism and complements it with size and moves he can't afford to get keyed on... #longgame
What makes you think he survives to his second contract? Kid has played a handful of games of football in his entire life. Now he’s supposed to play 16+ games per season in the NFL on the defensive line where he’ll be knocked sround every play.

He might not have the will or durability to make it to a second contract.

He can’t even play 11 games in the ACC, and he’s supposed to play 16 a year in the NFC? We’ll see.

Advertisement
Sorry dude you cant just give up 15-20 million guaranteed for the "long game" in football. Too many risk plus a 1st rounders rookie contract is for 5 years not 3 or 4 plus possibly 2 more years of being franchised tag, which is great money but it means you have to wait up to 7 years until your 2nd contract.
Actually it's a players option between 3-5 and no part of his initial contract would make a difference of 15-20 million. Average first round contract is 4 years with an option. Again that's a players choice though. That's not how slotting works. And only way it comes even close to costing him money like that is if he's projected as the #1 and he falls to like 30... That's not what's happening. I was a first round pick but I appreciate the lesson.

What makes you think he survives to his second contract? Kid has played a handful of games of football in his entire life. Now he’s supposed to play 16+ games per season in the NFL on the defensive line where he’ll be knocked sround every play.

He can’t even play 11 games in the ACC, and he’s supposed to play 16 a year in the NFC? We’ll see.
#1 you don't know Greg's situation nor the reasons he's missed games. Hasn't been as simple as yall fans would make it. As athletes were at the mercy of our corches and the head trainer... Especially these days. Furthermore as athletes you learn only way to truly succeed is to go all in and bet on yourself. If youre playing solely with the mindset that I need every penny I can get up front cause I may not get beyond that than you are going to fail. It is that simple.

dawg u do realize you're supposed to be rooting for him, right?

Actually it's a players option between 3-5 and no part of his initial contract would make a difference of 15-20 million. Average first round contract is 4 years with an option. Again that's a players choice though. That's not how slotting works. And only way it comes even close to costing him money like that is if he's projected as the #1 and he falls to like 30... That's not what's happening. I was a first round pick but I appreciate the lesson.
Negative, check out forbes.

Advertisement
rousseau reminds me of a supersized but slower josh Allen (jags/Kentucky). Not a real speed to power guy but very effective. I doubt rousseau runs a 4.65, though.

phillips to me is ALL speed to power. Almost like Devon Kennard from Arizona State, but maybe a higher ceiling.

I actually think Phillips has more 3-4 OLB potential than Roche. I see Roche as a pure 4-3 end. Poor man’s Derek Barnett.
I wobbled at the Allen comparison. I was off the train at the Roche comment. Dude will get washed as a 4-3 DE in the NFL, he's too small. He's a 3-4 OLB.

Advertisement
Everyone on here, especially those who I rock w, know I keep it 💯 & my critiques come from a non-orange & green place.

However there are times I come on & I can’t remember if I’m on a Canes board or a regular 247 general fan board.

Saying player A is weak or soft w/ game film to prove that...fa sho; I’m game. But when I see fans openly rooting against a former player in regards to the NFL draft, is weird af. I get it; some guys came out that had no business coming out, and they deserve all the backlash. But legit 1st round picks?? All b/c he didn’t fulfill a fanboy’s dream?? Yo; that’s weird & sus af.

What these numbnuts don’t understand is that we need guys like Greg to go 1st round. You wanna change the perception & culture of this program? Start pumping out 1st rounders. Have the 3 & done guys leave when they need to leave, and the fringe 4th - 7th round guys stick around so they can become 1st - 3rd guys. But that don’t happen until we get guys in the 1st.

Stop the hate

I don’t know what’s crazier..the posters who think he won’t be a top 20 pick easily or the posters who think NFL brass will actually grill him on why he “quit” on UM. Maybe I missed it but was he the only P5 player to opt out because I seem to remember boatloads of first rounds kids deciding not to play. That will be an absolute non factor folks.

I don’t know what’s crazier..the posters who think he won’t be a top 20 pick easily or the posters who think NFL brass will actually grill him on why he “quit” on UM. Maybe I missed it but was he the only P5 player to opt out because I seem to remember boatloads of first rounds kids deciding not to play. That will be an absolute non factor folks.
He opted out the best way possible with from my understanding the best reasons. It’s not like he straight up FSU-style quit mid season after losing and playing poorly.

Ah those hated on us when we said GR15 was a mid 1st round pick, looks like Kiper and McShay are also idiots I guess.

It's not hate, it's a realistic prediction. Phillips also will not go R1, he's R2 ceiling and late R2/R3 probable.

Advertisement
Ah those hated on us when we said GR15 was a mid 1st round pick, looks like Kiper and McShay are also idiots I guess.

It's not hate, it's a realistic prediction. Phillips also will not go R1, he's R2 ceiling and late R2/R3 probable.
Nah. He'll be mid 1st round. Hating on is for the guys that think he goes top 5 which is what would have happened if he played this year similar to last year.

Last edited:
#1 you don't know Greg's situation nor the reasons he's missed games. Hasn't been as simple as yall fans would make it. As athletes were at the mercy of our corches and the head trainer... Especially these days. Furthermore as athletes you learn only way to truly succeed is to go all in and bet on yourself. If youre playing solely with the mindset that I need every penny I can get up front cause I may not get beyond that than you are going to fail. It is that simple.

No i don’t know him, which is why i can look at his situation objectively and rationally and without any kind of bias. It doesn’t matter the “reason” or excuse why the kid missed games, the bottom line is he hasn’t proven that he can make it through one season in the ACC, so there is nothing that would lead you to believe that he can last any amount of time in the league, which is much tougher and more demanding than the ACC.

dawg u do realize you're supposed to be rooting for him, right?

I’m rooting for the Canes to win the national title, D’Eriq King to win the Heisman, and a lot of other things that probably won’t happen this year.

What I’m rooting for or what you’re rooting for is irrelevant. Has no bearing on reality.

Advertisement
Rousseau being an inconsistent finisher is a huge red flag we fans don’t want to believe. Really unpopular opinion here but that’s a fundamental difference between him and Nesta or Phillips. Nesta is high motor and relentless. Phillips is an insane athlete who is relentless.

Roche is good but I expected more out of him, I’d be surprised if he could play outside linebacker in the NFL but who knows. He’s good but had Rousseau stayed Roche would have had his playing time cut in half easily.
I disagree if your suggesting Greg didn't have a good motor or give great effort. To me that's what's made Greg special. He is 6'7, and very strong for his size with a really good motor

I agree with the analysis mostly, but I felt Rousseau got plenty of coverage sacks by setting a good edge with inside/outside leverage ability with his length. I think he could easily be a danielle hunter type player in a few years with even higher potential if harnessed
That is a very good comparison for Rousseau. Danielle is the youngest player to 50 sacks

If what Kiper says is true, and what most of us said btw, then GR cost himself millions not playing this season. If he plays, legit top 5 pick. Now he probably slips to 12 to 15 range. That’s a lot of money left on the table. But I guess if he is legit he will make it up in second contract.
That **** knows about as much as the nerd recruiting sites and their bullshat "ranking system":

Advertisement
Back