Meanwhile in Baton Rouge...

Luke Fickell (if he wanted it) or Dave Clawson.

I’m not believer in Cristobal, I think he’s a good coach but he’ll have a much harder time recruiting at Miami than he does at Oregon & more importantly I don’t think philosophically his offense is what we need going forward. I’m in the minority but I don’t think neither Mario or Mark Stoops will work if they come here.

As far as who I think would be perfect, I think Miami needs to go outside of the box & stop making the same homogeneous hires over & over again, I think we need an offensive minded guru who will evolve our offense into being on par with the rest of the best passing attacks in college football & can transform the offense quickly. Imo Mario & Mark are slow builds that will take at least 3 years before we actually see the results most hope for, but I think if we got a X’s & O’s architect we’d be able to turn it around much faster & get back to being a competitive team that could contend for the ACC. I’d take any of the guys like Kiffin, Freeze, Herman, Jef Traylor, Jay Norvell etc., I’d even take Sonny Dykes here (although I don’t think he’s ever going to leave the state Texas again for another job).
Clawson’s defenses as Wake Forest have been suspect, at best. Would you expect better at Miami, based on simply having better players by default?

Traylor is an interesting candidate, but always concerned about a HC moving up a level.

Last edited:
Advertisement
National Sugar Cookie Day GIF

Bring me the Cookie Monster as DL coach and Le Mouffette as Strength & Conditioning coach. That would be a huge upgrade over what we currently have.
Those would be home run hires at those respective positions.

Clawson’s defenses as Wake Forest have been suspect, at best. Would you expect better at Miami, based on simply having better players by default?

Traylor is an interesting candidate.
Fickell and Clawson were his answers to my question of who he thinks would be a good fit for the Penn State job.

For Miami he says he is not a big fan of Cristobal or Stoops because of their offensive philosophy mainly. He said his choices for us would be Kiffin, Freeze, Herman, Jay Norvell(Nevada) and Jeff Traylor(UTSA). He thinks we would be better off with an X's and O's offensive guru that could elevate us to one of the best passing attacks in the nation. I tend to agree.

Fickell and Clawson were his answers to my question of who he thinks would be a good fit for the Penn State job.

For Miami he says he is not a big fan of Cristobal or Stoops because of their offensive philosophy mainly. He said his choices for us would be Kiffin, Freeze, Herman, Jay Norvell(Nevada) and Jeff Traylor(UTSA). He thinks we would be better off with an X's and O's offensive guru that could elevate us to one of the best passing attacks in the nation. I tend to agree.
My bad then.

I understand his desire for an X/O guru to ignite the offense. I don’t disagree.

Advertisement
My bad then.

I understand his desire for an X/O guru to ignite the offense. I don’t disagree.
Yeah I also tend to agree with him. Those are our roots as far as having a dangerous and prolific passing game led by great QBs and WR, TE. We will still run the ball and have great talent at RB but I agree that the passing game should come first and the running game will naturally develop as a counter to that.

It just seems like the coaches we have had lately want to force the running game even when the personnel doesn't fit. Then we get these OCs that have success with the passing game at first yet abandon it because they are so obsessed with establishing the run even when it is clear that we don't do it well.

If we are fortunate enough to get a coach with that pass first philosophy who has elite X and O knowledge and can install an offense that can make us one of the best passing teams in the nation then all of those things will naturally take care of themselves. The running game will come naturally once we establish that we are a huge threat through the air.

I’m not believer in Cristobal, I think he’s a good coach but he’ll have a much harder time recruiting at Miami than he does at Oregon & more importantly I don’t think philosophically his offense is what we need going forward. I’m in the minority but I don’t think neither Mario or Mark Stoops will work if they come here.

As far as who I think would be perfect, I think Miami needs to go outside of the box & stop making the same homogeneous hires over & over again, I think we need an offensive minded guru who will evolve our offense into being on par with the rest of the best passing attacks in college football & can transform the offense quickly. Imo Mario & Mark are slow builds that will take at least 3 years before we actually see the results most hope for, but I think if we got a X’s & O’s architect we’d be able to turn it around much faster & get back to being a competitive team that could contend for the ACC. I’d take any of the guys like Kiffin, Freeze, Herman, Jef Traylor, Jay Norvell etc., I’d even take Sonny Dykes here (although I don’t think he’s ever going to leave the state Texas again for another job).
Mario would have a tougher time recruiting at UM??....I don't agree...

Advertisement
The one thing I've noticed about Franklin at PSU is His inability to get a "generational" QB. I mean His QBs have been good College QBs, but they don't exactly set the world on fire.

Other than that, any coach that can win 9 games twice at the eternal doormat that they call Vanderbilt is a good coach. ****, winning 6 games in His first year was a miracle.

Franklin's a good coach, I wouldn't mind Him at Miami.

I think Mario would recruit more than fine at UM, even better than Oregon after a couple of good seasons, the offensive philosophy is what worries me the most.

But, as @DMoney said if Mario (or Stoops) comes it means that he received the proper resources and a totally different commitment from the administration which is a VERY good sign.

Having said that, I don't think we could endure a "slow build" and, even if I'd be glad to have Mario or Stoops, I'd rather have an established offensive guru.

Let's put it this way, for me: Kiffin/Freeze*>Mario/Stoops>Herman>every hot G5 candidate

*I know that UM won't ever entertain the idea of bringing Freeze, but a man can dream.

Advertisement
I think Mario would recruit more than fine at UM, even better than Oregon after a couple of good seasons, the offensive philosophy is what worries me the most.

But, as @DMoney said if Mario (or Stoops) comes it means that he received the proper resources and a totally different commitment from the administration which is a VERY good sign.

Having said that, I don't think we could endure a "slow build" and, even if I'd be glad to have Mario or Stoops, I'd rather have an established offensive guru.

Let's put it this way, for me: Kiffin/Freeze*>Mario/Stoops>Herman>every hot G5 candidate

*I know that UM won't ever entertain the idea of bringing Freeze, but a man can dream.
This x1000 it’s kiffin with a better dc then Mario stoops etc. No in state school owns Florida right now in recruiting. It’s Ufag by default. After they get owned by uga, even mullen won’t look so hot.

IDK about Stoops, but Mario had FIU winning a bowl game in His 4th year there, had Oregon winning the Rose Bowl in His 3rd year there...nothing about Mario's resume suggests that He's a slow builder.

Advertisement
IDK about Stoops, but Mario had FIU winning a bowl game in His 4th year there, had Oregon winning the Rose Bowl in His 3rd year there...nothing about Mario's resume suggests that He's a slow builder.
Yes but he seems to prefer a certain type of offense and you saw with Enos how that worked at Miami.

I’m not bashing Mario by any means, as I said I’d be very happy with him for many reasons, but if we want to score 50 every week we should look elsewhere IMHO.

An explosive passing offense is crucial to have success nowadays in CFB.

The way our program will develop in the next years will come down to trench play. If its stable there, we can build off of that.

Yes but he seems to prefer a certain type of offense and you saw with Enos how that worked at Miami.

I’m not bashing Mario by any means, as I said I’d be very happy with him for many reasons, but if we want to score 50 every week we should look elsewhere IMHO.

An explosive passing offense is crucial to have success nowadays in CFB.

Bro, He installed a spread offense at FIU while we were still running the "Pro Style Bro", and Justin Herbert had His best season under Cristobal. As far as Oregon's O this year, I think He's just adapting to the limitations of His QB, and they're still winning despite what happened in Palo Alto. And I keep hearing Mario runs the ball too much, but guess what, Chip Kelly ran the ball waaaaaaay more than Him, go back and look at the numbers. If anything, Mario's history shows an ability to adapt than being married to a certain philosophy or a scheme.

Advertisement
Back