Meanwhile in Baton Rouge...

isn't jumbo's buyout some ridiculous amount??? how would any team pay that?

Advertisement
latest LSU rumor - jimbo. lol
The top 3 candidates have been Franklin, Jumbo & Napier.

The LSU boosters are split between the more stable pick in Napier & the splash hires in guys like Franklin & Jumbo.

Ultimately I think Franklin will be the pick, the Scott Woodward connection with Jumbo is pretty strong, but there’s no way LSU can top TAMU’s contract for Jumbo.

He’s making $7.5mill a year off a 10 year $75million dollar contract, LSU would have to give him a $80-100mill & there’s no way they would do that.

Way more if they fire him than if someone else bought him out
He would be owed $95million if he was fired without cause, but his buyout is about just over $50million.

It drops down to around $20-30mill in 2027, but since he signed an extension already on his 10 year deal last year, he essentially doubled his buyout worth.

The only loophole in the contract is that he can leave without having to give back any of the remaining money on the contract, but the only way that happens is if someone would be willing to basically pay $100mill to get him outta TAMU, which would be insane to do.

The top 3 candidates have been Franklin, Jumbo & Napier.

The LSU boosters are split between the more stable pick in Napier & the splash hires in guys like Franklin & Jumbo.

Ultimately I think Franklin will be the pick, the Scott Woodward connection with Jumbo is pretty strong, but there’s no way LSU can top TAMU’s contract for Jumbo.

He’s making $7.5mill a year off a 10 year $75million dollar contract, LSU would have to give him a $80-100mill & there’s no way they would do that.
I'm not sold on Franklin being a good pick for L$U.

Advertisement
I'm not sold on Franklin being a good pick for L$U.
He’s not as bad of a coach as people make him out to be...

He won 11 games in 3 out of his 7 seasons at PSU & has had 4 winning seasons with a chance to make it 5 depending on how they finish this year.

He’s 89-45 with a B1G title, 5 bowl victories & is pretty good recruiter. But he just like Cristobal makes some questionable head scratching game day decisions & runs a very stuffy stagnant offense that leaves PSU susceptible every year to being upset by teams that are way less talented than them.

I don’t blame him for wanting to get out of Happy Valley though, their fans are really awful & ungrateful, so he’s gotten to a point where he just wants out from a program that in all honesty doesn’t really deserve him.

But with that said he’s not really a coach that will get you over the hump, he’ll have you in contention but never really in it for a championship. I think they’re just looking at it from a recruiting standpoint because they’re seeing what’s happening with UGA & are trying to keep pace in the SEC arms race for recruits.

IMO the best fit for the long term would be Napier, but I think their boosters just want a splash name that will move the needle for recruits & fans... Like I said a few pages ago, rah rah guys like Franklin etc appeal to the emotions of boosters & fans alike, but there will always be a question about how much substance is actually there.

He won 11 games in 3 out of his 7 seasons at PSU & has had 4 winning seasons with a chance to make it 5 depending on how they finish this year.

He’s 89-45 with a B1G title, 5 bowl victories & is pretty good recruiter. But he just like Cristobal makes some questionable head scratching game day decisions & runs a very stuffy stagnant offense that leaves PSU susceptible every year to being upset by teams that are way less talented than them.

I don’t blame him for wanting to get out of Happy Valley though, their fans are really awful & ungrateful, so he’s gotten to a point where he just wants out from a program that in all honesty doesn’t really deserve him.

But with that said he’s not really a coach that will get you over the hump, he’ll have you in contention but never really in it for a championship. I think they’re just looking at it from a recruiting standpoint because they’re seeing what’s happening with UGA & are trying to keep pace in the SEC arms race for recruits.

IMO the best fit for the long term would be Napier, but I think their boosters just want a splash name that will move the needle for recruits & fans... Like I said a few pages ago, rah rah guys like Franklin etc appeal to the emotions of boosters & fans alike, but there will always be a question about how much substance is actually there.
Agree with all of this, and fundamentally agree with Pedo State being an overrated job. He's won about as much as you can there, and the fans **** all over him.

He would be owed $95million if he was fired without cause, but his buyout is about just over $50million.

It drops down to around $20-30mill in 2027, but since he signed an extension already on his 10 year deal last year, he essentially doubled his buyout worth.

The only loophole in the contract is that he can leave without having to give back any of the remaining money on the contract, but the only way that happens is if someone would be willing to basically pay $100mill to get him outta TAMU, which would be insane to do.
$50 is still more than i thought.

Sheesh if they fork that out for Jimbo. That'd crash the entire economy of the state of Louisiana. All for a coach who is average as can be since 2013.

Advertisement
$50 is still more than i thought.

Sheesh if they fork that out for Jimbo. That'd crash the entire economy of the state of Louisiana. All for a coach who is average as can be since 2013.
Yeah when he first signed the deal it was between $20-25mill but after singed the extension last year it doubled the buyout up to $50mill.

Aside from Saban & Dabo, Jumbo has the largest contract in college football history in terms of guaranteed money.

The first person we need to call from Lsu's staff is Corey Raymond.
He’s never leaving, he’s a LSU lifer.

From there, played there & has coached there for the majority of his entire career.

He’s been offered jobs at Bama, UGA & TAMU & he turns them all down every time, he just wants to coach DB’s at LSU until he retires. And he’ll always be on any staff that gets hired there because no coach would be stupid enough to take the LSU job & not retain Raymond.

Could be an interesting twist to the coaching musical chairs:

It was reported today that James Franklin is switching his representation to Jimmy Sexton. Apparently, Jimmy Sexton is agent to the heavyweight coaches in the SEC.... And Sexton gets his clients $$$$. It doesn’t mean Franklin to LSU is a done deal, but it certainly points to LSU wanting him and Sexton thinking there’s a plan he can put together to make it happen. This move - and the kind of money Sexton will negotiate for Franklin- will likely take USC out of the equation as far as Franklin goes.

The LSU fan boards have all been pretty confident their new AD Woodward would make a splash hire. Franklin would certainly fit that bill.

It looks like USC will now have Luke Fickell and Matt Campbell at the top of their coach board , with Dave Clawson (Wake Forest) and Jonathan Smith (Oregon St) as candidates #3 and 4.

Wild......
Franklin is hot trash. Most people in Pennsylvania wants him gone. Hope that’s true F LSU

Advertisement
He’s never leaving, he’s a LSU lifer.

From there, played there & has coached there for the majority of his entire career.

He’s been offered jobs at Bama, UGA & TAMU & he turns them all down every time, he just wants to coach DB’s at LSU until he retires. And he’ll always be on any staff that gets hired there because no coach would be stupid enough to take the LSU job & not retain Raymond.
Agree...just hoping the next coach there is stupid enough that he doesn't keep him or that Corey hates the guy. Worth a call.

Franklin also has a history of assembling pretty good staffs. I loved watching him at PSU because I knew he would never win a title there. At LSU though…if Ed and Les can win one then Franklin being there could be pretty scary.

Advertisement
Luke Fickell (if he wanted it) or Dave Clawson.

I’m not believer in Cristobal, I think he’s a good coach but he’ll have a much harder time recruiting at Miami than he does at Oregon & more importantly I don’t think philosophically his offense is what we need going forward. I’m in the minority but I don’t think neither Mario or Mark Stoops will work if they come here.

As far as who I think would be perfect, I think Miami needs to go outside of the box & stop making the same homogeneous hires over & over again, I think we need an offensive minded guru who will evolve our offense into being on par with the rest of the best passing attacks in college football & can transform the offense quickly. Imo Mario & Mark are slow builds that will take at least 3 years before we actually see the results most hope for, but I think if we got a X’s & O’s architect we’d be able to turn it around much faster & get back to being a competitive team that could contend for the ACC. I’d take any of the guys like Kiffin, Freeze, Herman, Jef Traylor, Jay Norvell etc., I’d even take Sonny Dykes here (although I don’t think he’s ever going to leave the state Texas again for another job).
I respectfully disagree on Mario.

I actually like the long build part in terms of establishing the program for the long term, but I whole heartedly believe he will have this team competition in year one for minimum 9 wins.

But we shall see

He should go there. He’s not ready for a job like Miami, IMO.
This is the type of hire I pray we don’t make. If you’re going to take a shot at a young HC at a low level program give me Napier over this guy.

This is the type of hire I pray we don’t make. If you’re going to take a shot at a young HC at a low level program give me Napier over this guy.
💯- he’s the only G5 level coach I would accept.

Advertisement
Back