Meanwhile in Baton Rouge...

Advertisement
Could be an interesting twist to the coaching musical chairs:

It was reported today that James Franklin is switching his representation to Jimmy Sexton. Apparently, Jimmy Sexton is agent to the heavyweight coaches in the SEC.... And Sexton gets his clients $$$$. It doesn’t mean Franklin to LSU is a done deal, but it certainly points to LSU wanting him and Sexton thinking there’s a plan he can put together to make it happen. This move - and the kind of money Sexton will negotiate for Franklin- will likely take USC out of the equation as far as Franklin goes.

The LSU fan boards have all been pretty confident their new AD Woodward would make a splash hire. Franklin would certainly fit that bill.

It looks like USC will now have Luke Fickell and Matt Campbell at the top of their coach board , with Dave Clawson (Wake Forest) and Jonathan Smith (Oregon St) as candidates #3 and 4.

Wild......

PSU is currently 5-2.

Remaining schedule and projected W/L

Ohio St L
Maryland W
Michigan L
Rutgers W
Michigan St L

They stand a very good chance of finishing 7-5. Best case is probably 8-4 (if they beat Michigan St). I don't think he's worth 9-10 million but he's probably going to get that from LSU. They are going to be sorely disappointed.

Franklin is on the hot seat with PSU fans again for being a corch.
Franklin has been trying to get out of Happy valley since he’s got there...

Just like Bill O’Brien, they both found out the hard way just how ungrateful & insufferable their fans are.

O’Brien absolutely hated the Penn St fans towards the end of his tenure before he got the Houston job lol.

Just like Bill O’Brien, they both found out the hard way just how ungrateful & insufferable their fans are.

O’Brien absolutely hated the Penn St fans towards the end of his tenure before he got the Houston job lol.
I learned everything I needed to learn about Franklin when he ran the read option on like 4th and 5 against Ohio state with the game on the line

Advertisement
Billy Napier would be the perfect long term pick for LSU.

But some of their boosters want a big name splash hire that will be able to compete on the recruiting trail with Bama, UGA & TAMU, hence why there’s interest in James Franklin.

James Franklin imo is just like Cristobal, a whole lotta rah rah, good recruiter, B+ coach.

They appeal to the emotions of fans & boosters alike, they’ll always be able to buy themselves leeway because they’re loud & understand how to use authoritative coach speak, but eventually you’ll wonder where it’s going & when the roller coaster ride ends...
That's a great analysis. The Cristobal angle was right on the money. Granted Cristobal has improved considerably over the past 8 years. He isn't the same guy who got fired by FIU.

Last edited:
Could be an interesting twist to the coaching musical chairs:

It was reported today that James Franklin is switching his representation to Jimmy Sexton. Apparently, Jimmy Sexton is agent to the heavyweight coaches in the SEC.... And Sexton gets his clients $$$$. It doesn’t mean Franklin to LSU is a done deal, but it certainly points to LSU wanting him and Sexton thinking there’s a plan he can put together to make it happen. This move - and the kind of money Sexton will negotiate for Franklin- will likely take USC out of the equation as far as Franklin goes.

The LSU fan boards have all been pretty confident their new AD Woodward would make a splash hire. Franklin would certainly fit that bill.

It looks like USC will now have Luke Fickell and Matt Campbell at the top of their coach board , with Dave Clawson (Wake Forest) and Jonathan Smith (Oregon St) as candidates #3 and 4.

Wild......
Matt Campbell at USC would be 🔥

Assuming Franklin leaves and he is leaving, who would be a good fit for that job?

Also, this isn't the thread but I found it interesting what you said about Cristobal and I agree. Would you be unhappy if Cristobal ended up in Miami next year? Who do you think the UM job would be perfect for? I know there must be one guy in particular that you have in mind above everyone else. So who is it?

Advertisement
Matt Campbell at UM would be 🔥
mandy diaz at UM is
dog crap.gif

Assuming Franklin leaves and he is leaving, who would be a good fit for that job?

Also, this isn't the thread but I found it interesting what you said about Cristobal and I agree. Would you be unhappy if Cristobal ended up in Miami next year? Who do you think the UM job would be perfect for? I know there must be one guy in particular that you have in mind above everyone else. So who is it?
Luke Fickell (if he wanted it) or Dave Clawson.

I’m not believer in Cristobal, I think he’s a good coach but he’ll have a much harder time recruiting at Miami than he does at Oregon & more importantly I don’t think philosophically his offense is what we need going forward. I’m in the minority but I don’t think neither Mario or Mark Stoops will work if they come here.

As far as who I think would be perfect, I think Miami needs to go outside of the box & stop making the same homogeneous hires over & over again, I think we need an offensive minded guru who will evolve our offense into being on par with the rest of the best passing attacks in college football & can transform the offense quickly. Imo Mario & Mark are slow builds that will take at least 3 years before we actually see the results most hope for, but I think if we got a X’s & O’s architect we’d be able to turn it around much faster & get back to being a competitive team that could contend for the ACC. I’d take any of the guys like Kiffin, Freeze, Herman, Jef Traylor, Jay Norvell etc., I’d even take Sonny Dykes here (although I don’t think he’s ever going to leave the state Texas again for another job).

Advertisement
Luke Fickell (if he wanted it) or Dave Clawson.

I’m not believer in Cristobal, I think he’s a good coach but he’ll have a much harder time recruiting at Miami than he does at Oregon & more importantly I don’t think philosophically his offense is what we need going forward. I’m in the minority but I don’t think neither Mario or Mark Stoops will work if they come here.

As far as who I think would be perfect, I think Miami needs to go outside of the box & stop making the same homogeneous hires over & over again, I think we need an offensive minded guru who will evolve our offense into being on par with the rest of the best passing attacks in college football & can transform the offense quickly. Imo Mario & Mark are slow builds that will take at least 3 years before we actually see the results most hope for, but I think if we got a X’s & O’s architect we’d be able to turn it around much faster & get back to being a competitive team that could contend for the ACC. I’d take any of the guys like Kiffin, Freeze, Herman, Jef Traylor, Jay Norvell etc., I’d even take Sonny Dykes here (although I don’t think he’s ever going to leave the state Texas again for another job).
Thank you so much for the answers. I would tend to agree with you. Cristobal imo could work if he is smart enough to realize that we need that X's and O's offensive guru as his OC and went that route. You think Cristobal would have a tough time recruiting here and that it would be harder here in that capacity than at Oregon? Interesting. Thoughts on a guy like Matt Campbell? He could be good at PSU or Michigan if they ax Harbaugh. Or maybe a job like Oklahoma.

PS. Not so sure on Herman. I've heard some cringe worthy stuff about him and I don't mean the fact that he's arrogant. I'm talking stuff that will makes your toes curl. Toes curl. Don't need that headache. I'm all for Kiffin, Freeze and I absolutely love Jeff Traylor.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Advertisement
Back