Matt Porter: Dan Mullen has interviewed for the Job

Advertisement
Just tell me what Mullen has done that is so special. He went to a mediocre program and they are mediocre. In what areas has he made a huge difference that 30 other guys couldn't replicate?

Mediocre? Google Sylvester Croom and his 5 years prior to Mullen.

He averaged 2 wins per year in the SEC. He averaged 4.2 wins per season. 4 out of 5 seasons were losing seasons. MSU was insanely bad.

I want Butch but some of you are behaving worse than the clowns bashing Butch. Mullen is a good/great coach. Miss St is a dump in the SEC west. Worse than Arkansas, only Kentucky and Vandy are worse in the entire SEC. Something short of a miracle. He has taken them as far is he can. They will never get the depth to defeat the big guns in the conference on both sides of the ball. Stop with yall bull reasoning. Im more hung up on Richt because i dont know if he is a savage. We need savages to conquor SO FL. Schiano, savage, Butch Savage, Mullen, honky tonk, savage.

Just tell me what Mullen has done that is so special. He went to a mediocre program and they are mediocre. In what areas has he made a huge difference that 30 other guys couldn't replicate?

He averaged 2 wins per year in the SEC. He averaged 4.2 wins per season. 4 out of 5 seasons were losing seasons. MSU was insanely bad.

Right, and many programs hit valleys like that. Mullen just pulled them back up to Jackie Sherrill territory, which was 4th place in the west. Great job of reviving a program to get them into bad bowl games, but again, what has he done that makes him elite?

Advertisement
i wanna hear from our fans who are big mullen fans. bc i'm just may be missing something. all i have to judge is his time spent as a coordinator at UF and as head coach of Miss State. i just don't see the where the hype comes from. not to say he hasn't done well for himself but how is he any better than Richt who's had much more success. is it that one 10 win season? someone please enlighten me bc this mullen fanboyism kinda came outta nowhere.

He took Miss St to a number one ranking , that alone speaks highly of the cat. He did that with a bunch of 3 stars , in a division with majority 4-5 stars.

They didn't end up # 1 but that program is at a place it's never been. Just compare it's history to before Mullen and after.

They've historically been a 4th place team in the west. Mullen has them tied for 5th in year seven.

LMFAO. Record at MSU 8 years prior to Mullen--> 29-67. Mullen's current record--> 54-35. "They've historically been a 4th place team in the west" is even funnier because you either purely made it up or you just don't understand how numbers and rankings work, I'd say the latter. MSU standing in SEC West prior to Mullen--> 6th, 5th, 6th, 5th, 6th, 6th, 6th (2008-2002). They didn't place 4th once.... I guess some people just can't be helped.

Right, and many programs hit valleys like that. Mullen just pulled them back up to Jackie Sherrill territory, which was 4th place in the west. Great job of reviving a program to get them into bad bowl games, but again, what has he done that makes him elite?

Who is calling him elite? I think people are impressed with what 43 year old did at an awful program in a difficult conference.

Jackie also tanked his last 3 years. You fail to realize how bad MSU was.

Last edited:
We could do worse than Mullen. Thing that worries me is that MSU is a cesspool. The recruiting in Miss is an absolute **** show of cheating and violations. He will not be able to get away with what goes on in Miss at Miami. I also worry about the QB offense situation. Our personnel are not geared at all for his style of offense. Im not sure he would be able to make the best use of Kaaya which would be an absolute waste because Kaaya with the right OC/QB coach and an even decent OL should be a stud next year.

That said, Mullen does have advantages. He has cut his teeth in the SEC. He has done a pretty solid job at a crap program and has shown he can beat teams he is outmatched by. He is also a younger coach with something to prove. That's the one thing that really scares me about Butch. The age and retread factor. Butch is at the end of his career. He cannot possibly have that same fire/chip on his shoulder, motivation to show the world what he has. Yes there is the "unfinished business" of what he could have had here had he not left, but the fact is he doesn't really have the time to make that happen if it doesn't fall into place rather quickly. He doesn't have 10 years to build a juggernaut. And I don't think Butch is the win right now kind of coach. I think his record shows he will take a few years to build up the talent and get the right players he needs into the system, which means IF he's going to succeed, it would be in about 4 years, right around the time I think he will be looking to punch out. My fear is we get maybe 1 good season out of Butch and then he's gone and we are back to square one.

At least Mullen has something to really prove. Win or lose, I think Butch rides off into the sunset in about 5 years. He's looking for his last gig to close out his career, not necessarily to do whatever it takes to make his mark.

He has taken them as far is he can. They will never get the depth to defeat the big guns in the conference on both sides of the ball.

"Baylor will NEVER compete with teams like Texas and Oklahoma. They will never get the depth to play at that level."

- Entire World, Circa 2007.

You see, some coaches go into "impossible" situations and do great things. No coach ever has a ceiling.

Advertisement
Dan Mullen vs. ranked teams: 5-28
Dan Mullen vs. Power 5 OOC teams: 2-4

47 of his 54 career wins are against unranked SEC teams and non-Power 5 teams.

If we're looking for a guy to turn Wake Forest into an 8-4 program, Mullen is your guy. There is nothing to indicate that he can lead a program at an elite level, though.

Except he's won over 60% of his games as a HC, and has a .464 record in a division that has produced 4 of the past 6 national champions, as well as 2 national runner-ups. How often would a quality coach beat Alabama, LSU, Auburn, aTm, and Arkansas?

He beat Malzhan, Pinkel, Stoops, and Bielema this year ... Had his team ranked number 1 in the country for 5 weeks last year. All at Mississippi State.

But he's far from perfect ...

The defense is a concern. And he has a bunch of buddies on his staff.

But he's maxed out Miss State.

Their next coach won't have the success Mullen has had, IMO.

i wanna hear from our fans who are big mullen fans. bc i'm just may be missing something. all i have to judge is his time spent as a coordinator at UF and as head coach of Miss State. i just don't see the where the hype comes from. not to say he hasn't done well for himself but how is he any better than Richt who's had much more success. is it that one 10 win season? someone please enlighten me bc this mullen fanboyism kinda came outta nowhere.

He took Miss St to a number one ranking , that alone speaks highly of the cat. He did that with a bunch of 3 stars , in a division with majority 4-5 stars.

They didn't end up # 1 but that program is at a place it's never been. Just compare it's history to before Mullen and after.

They've historically been a 4th place team in the west. Mullen has them tied for 5th in year seven.

LMFAO. Record at MSU 8 years prior to Mullen--> 29-67. Mullen's current record--> 54-35. "They've historically been a 4th place team in the west" is even funnier because you either purely made it up or you just don't understand how numbers and rankings work, I'd say the latter. MSU standing in SEC West prior to Mullen--> 6th, 5th, 6th, 5th, 6th, 6th, 6th (2008-2002). They didn't place 4th once.... I guess some people just can't be helped.

"Historically" is a big word, I know.

He has taken them as far is he can. They will never get the depth to defeat the big guns in the conference on both sides of the ball.

"Baylor will NEVER compete with teams like Texas and Oklahoma. They will never get the depth to play at that level."

You see, some coaches go into "impossible" situations and do great things. No coach ever has a ceiling.

And Butch did what at UNC?

What's hilarious is Mullen's accomplishments at Miss St are superior to what Butch could muster at UNC, a comparable program when he took over.

Context is lost on some low level thinkers around here.

Advertisement
Yeah competing against OU and Texas is the same as competing against an entire conference of corrupt mofos who will do and pay anything to win. Gtfoh

Except he's won over 60% of his games as a HC, and has a .464 record in a division that has produced 4 of the past 6 national champions, as well as 2 national runner-ups. How often would a quality coach beat Alabama, LSU, Auburn, aTm, and Arkansas?

He beat Malzhan, Pinkel, Stoops, and Bielema this year ... Had his team ranked number 1 in the country for 5 weeks last year. All at Mississippi State.

But he's far from perfect ...

The defense is a concern. And he has a bunch of buddies on his staff.

But he's maxed out Miss State.

Their next coach won't have the success Mullen has had, IMO.

See, that's the kind of stuff that fools Mike Leach fans, too. I already showed you who he beat to get to that impressive .600 mark. Problem is, he never outcoaches anyone who has better talent. Ranked opponents = losses. Where is the coaching?

People only like to use facts when it's their guy , but the same dummies will poo poo the numbers you just posted.

Then come back and say Butch replaced Torbush, and make excuses for his failures. " It's Unc, it's a basketball school".

Miss St has always been a 6-7 win team , they'd sneak up occasionally and get 8-9 wins, that's what they've always been . Dan keeps them in the 8-10 win range while playing in the hardest conference and division. At a school with nowhere near the prestige or power as the other schools in that division. They've had one 10 win season in their history before Dan, he has the same amount in his time there.

I get it, you guys have your agenda but poo pooing good coaches just to build up your guy is ***. They all have flaws including your god butch.

Advertisement
The []_[];2397771 said:

I am not a Mullen fan. But i would support him if he was the guy. I believe that Mullen still hasn't peaked as a head coach, still has another level to reach and would have a better chance of getting to that level if he wasn't coaching Mississippi state every year against that SEC West schedule that includes, Saban, Les, Gus, Sumlin and the other SEC schools. Arguably the toughest division in college football and he has held his own. My question for all the candidates other than Butch is can they handle the South Florida recruiting grind.

i understand that and would support the hire too. but people are acting like this guy is the next coming of christ by the way their talking him up. also that SEC East division wasn't great this season and he still had all of his core pieces intact so what gives? like someone else said, if he needs a tebow or prescott type qb to win then i don't think he's a good hire bc you aren't finding too many of those. not physically at least.

I don't think anyone is acting like the dude is some cant miss super stud. He's not a grand slam hire. But we could do a lot worse. Mullen is about the same risk as Butch IMO. They both have plusses and minuses. The one thing Mullen has is that he's still got a future in the game. He's looking to make his mark and get to the top. Butch has about a 5 year shelf life left. Win or lose, he's at the end of his career. There is no way he's going to have the same hunger and drive he did when he was here the first time around.

I think Butch and Mullen are very similar potential hires for us. Both are solid coaches that I would support and we could do a lot worse. But both obviously have some risks too. That said I would probably give Butch the edge just because of the system he runs and his familirarity with the program and SoFla etc.

Mullen is definitely on the list of best REALISTIC candidates for UM. When you take away the "wish list" of unlikely candidates like Chip Kelly and Patterson and guys like that, Mullen is a very solid coach who is gettable.

You dont have ti win a NT to be a good coach, every sibgle cnadidate we have has flaws, includng the one i want. Butch Davis. Some of you are simply embarrassing.
Yeah competing against OU and Texas is the same as competing against an entire conference of corrupt mofos who will do and pay anything to win. Gtfoh.

Oh, now he couldn't compete because everyone else cheated. Got it. #Mullen2016

Remember when Butch had a winning record in the ACC?

No, but I remember when he went 11-1 and finished #2 . Mullen?
Who cares about Butch? There isn't an "ounce of chance" that we hire him anyways, right?

Lol at you retards thinking that Butch was oblivious to any of this and that there's even a ounce of chance Miami will hire him.

Advertisement
Back