Matt Porter: Dan Mullen has interviewed for the Job

i wanna hear from our fans who are big mullen fans. bc i'm just may be missing something. all i have to judge is his time spent as a coordinator at UF and as head coach of Miss State. i just don't see the where the hype comes from. not to say he hasn't done well for himself but how is he any better than Richt who's had much more success. is it that one 10 win season? someone please enlighten me bc this mullen fanboyism kinda came outta nowhere.

He took Miss St to a number one ranking , that alone speaks highly of the cat. He did that with a bunch of 3 stars , in a division with majority 4-5 stars.

They didn't end up # 1 but that program is at a place it's never been. Just compare it's history to before Mullen and after.

Advertisement
FWIW, a private jet flew from Miami to Starkville the day of the Egg Bowl.

hard to believe he'd interview the day of that game

This. Wow if he really did this. If im a MSU fan I am ****ed. As a Miami fan, I dont know what to think. (If this is even true. Didnt they say that this thing was air tight in regards to secrecy?)

Butch's son plays at Ole Miss so it wasn't necessarily for Mullen.

I pulled the private flight off a public web site because I saw people tweeting about it. Could be a random rich Mississippi State fan for all I know.

the irony......

Posted this in another thread. Mullen is an interesting name but I have reservations.

Mullen is a good coach. But I have two major concerns regarding his fit at Miami:

1) Can he fix the defense?

Mullen's defenses at Mississippi State have been pretty crappy. Aside from a very good season in 2011 with Fletcher Cox and two NFL corners, here are MSU's ranks in defensive yards-per-play under Mullen:

2015- 54th
2014- 72nd
2013- 70th
2012- 58th
2010- 40th
2009- 82nd

It's not impossible to build a strong defense in Starksville. Jackie Sherrill had some killer units in the late '90s. But Mullen hasn't done it.

Also, many posters have justifiably criticized Charlie Strong for his defensive failures at Texas. Are the same people ready to hitch their wagon to Manny Diaz?

2) How long before he finds "his type of QB?"

It's no secret that Mullen's offense works best with a certain type of QB- a strong, powerful runner who can also throw. Those guys are hard to find. It took Mullen five years to uncover Dak Prescott.

Even at Florida, Mullen struggled to adapt to Chris Leak. The offense fell off significantly when Mullen took over for Fedora, dropping from 13th to 63rd in yards per play. Things did not pick up until Tebow started getting involved in 2006.

How long would it take Mullen to find his QB in Miami? Kaaya is not that guy. Rosier is only an OK runner and does not look like a special talent. Shireffs and Allison are pocket passers. This may be a short-term concern, but how patient is the fanbase going to be? The right quarterback may be four years away.

There are other significant concerns, but these are two major reasons why I can't place him above Butch.

LOL at trying to compare Mullen at Miss State to Corch Charlie at Texas......u will never give it up huh?

He dind't really compare them. He brought up valid points about his struggles and how you point out one guy issues because you don' t like him but praise another guy and ignore his flaws.

Advertisement
i wanna hear from our fans who are big mullen fans. bc i'm just may be missing something. all i have to judge is his time spent as a coordinator at UF and as head coach of Miss State. i just don't see the where the hype comes from. not to say he hasn't done well for himself but how is he any better than Richt who's had much more success. is it that one 10 win season? someone please enlighten me bc this mullen fanboyism kinda came outta nowhere.

He took Miss St to a number one ranking , that alone speaks highly of the cat. He did that with a bunch of 3 stars , in a division with majority 4-5 stars.

They didn't end up # 1 but that program is at a place it's never been. Just compare it's history to before Mullen and after.

wasn't that #1 extremely premature bc the voters were looking for a SEC team to play for a NC considering Bama lost earlier that year? idc about the #1 ranking if they finished outside the top 10. if that's the only reason people want him then i think the argument is kinda week. i want to see sustainable success with a coach. not just one season where they were ranked #1 for a week.

Last edited:

I am not a Mullen fan. But i would support him if he was the guy. I believe that Mullen still hasn't peaked as a head coach, still has another level to reach and would have a better chance of getting to that level if he wasn't coaching Mississippi state every year against that SEC West schedule that includes, Saban, Les, Gus, Sumlin and the other SEC schools. Arguably the toughest division in college football and he has held his own. My question for all the candidates other than Butch is can they handle the South Florida recruiting grind.

They've historically been a 4th place team in the west. Mullen has them tied for 5th in year seven.

Advertisement
I will punch any and everyone who doesn't want Mullen. Ok, let's go.

I feel that way about several candidates we could land.
Butch or Richt or Mullen

Anyone who complains if we land one of those three when two weeks ago we had
Cristobal or Strong should immediately be punched in the ******

Last edited:
You can't really discuss coaches here, because a good portion have an agenda and another portion are clueless as ****. All of the candidates have flaws, but I'd be happy with majority of them. I have my favorites but Richt, Mullen, Chud, Butch, Hue and Gundy would all be good in my book.

But then again, I don't live in a fantasy world.

They've historically been a 4th place team in the west. Mullen has them tied for 5th in year seven.

Remember when Butch had a winning record in the ACC?

Advertisement
Just tell me what Mullen has done that is so special. He went to a mediocre program and they are mediocre. In what areas has he made a huge difference that 30 other guys couldn't replicate?

Posted this in another thread. Mullen is an interesting name but I have reservations.

Mullen is a good coach. But I have two major concerns regarding his fit at Miami:

1) Can he fix the defense?

Mullen's defenses at Mississippi State have been pretty crappy. Aside from a very good season in 2011 with Fletcher Cox and two NFL corners, here are MSU's ranks in defensive yards-per-play under Mullen:

2015- 54th
2014- 72nd
2013- 70th
2012- 58th
2010- 40th
2009- 82nd

It's not impossible to build a strong defense in Starksville. Jackie Sherrill had some killer units in the late '90s. But Mullen hasn't done it.

Also, many posters have justifiably criticized Charlie Strong for his defensive failures at Texas. Are the same people ready to hitch their wagon to Manny Diaz?

2) How long before he finds "his type of QB?"

It's no secret that Mullen's offense works best with a certain type of QB- a strong, powerful runner who can also throw. Those guys are hard to find. It took Mullen five years to uncover Dak Prescott.

Even at Florida, Mullen struggled to adapt to Chris Leak. The offense fell off significantly when Mullen took over for Fedora, dropping from 13th to 63rd in yards per play. Things did not pick up until Tebow started getting involved in 2006.

How long would it take Mullen to find his QB in Miami? Kaaya is not that guy. Rosier is only an OK runner and does not look like a special talent. Shireffs and Allison are pocket passers. This may be a short-term concern, but how patient is the fanbase going to be? The right quarterback may be four years away.

There are other significant concerns, but these are two major reasons why I can't place him above Butch.

For people who want a proven big name guy, how is this an upgrade over Butch Davis?

Advertisement

Remember when Butch had a winning record in the ACC?

No, but I remember when he went 11-1 and finished #2 . Mullen?

The []_[];2397771 said:

I am not a Mullen fan. But i would support him if he was the guy. I believe that Mullen still hasn't peaked as a head coach, still has another level to reach and would have a better chance of getting to that level if he wasn't coaching Mississippi state every year against that SEC West schedule that includes, Saban, Les, Gus, Sumlin and the other SEC schools. Arguably the toughest division in college football and he has held his own. My question for all the candidates other than Butch is can they handle the South Florida recruiting grind.

i understand that and would support the hire too. but people are acting like this guy is the next coming of christ by the way their talking him up. also that SEC East division wasn't great this season and he still had all of his core pieces intact so what gives? like someone else said, if he needs a tebow or prescott type qb to win then i don't think he's a good hire bc you aren't finding too many of those. not physically at least.

The plane thing makes perfect sense if Butch interviewed that day and the big $ people at UM flew to MS to see his son play that night

Advertisement
Back