Matt Porter: Dan Mullen has interviewed for the Job

Advertisement
FWIW, a private jet flew from Miami to Starkville the day of the Egg Bowl.

hard to believe he'd interview the day of that game

This. Wow if he really did this. If im a MSU fan I am ****ed. As a Miami fan, I dont know what to think. (If this is even true. Didnt they say that this thing was air tight in regards to secrecy?)

Butch's son plays at Ole Miss so it wasn't necessarily for Mullen.

I pulled the private flight off a public web site because I saw people tweeting about it. Could be a random rich Mississippi State fan for all I know.

Advertisement

hard to believe he'd interview the day of that game

This. Wow if he really did this. If im a MSU fan I am ****ed. As a Miami fan, I dont know what to think. (If this is even true. Didnt they say that this thing was air tight in regards to secrecy?)

Butch's son plays at Ole Miss so it wasn't necessarily for Mullen.

I pulled the private flight off a public web site because I saw people tweeting about it. Could be a random rich Mississippi State fan for all I know.

Now I see the connection Mullen for Head Coach and Butch as DC. They must have been ironing out details Makes perfect sense

i wanna hear from our fans who are big mullen fans. bc i'm just may be missing something. all i have to judge is his time spent as a coordinator at UF and as head coach of Miss State. i just don't see the where the hype comes from. not to say he hasn't done well for himself but how is he any better than Richt who's had much more success. is it that one 10 win season? someone please enlighten me bc this mullen fanboyism kinda came outta nowhere.

Posted this in another thread. Mullen is an interesting name but I have reservations.

Mullen is a good coach. But I have two major concerns regarding his fit at Miami:

1) Can he fix the defense?

Mullen's defenses at Mississippi State have been pretty crappy. Aside from a very good season in 2011 with Fletcher Cox and two NFL corners, here are MSU's ranks in defensive yards-per-play under Mullen:

2015- 54th
2014- 72nd
2013- 70th
2012- 58th
2010- 40th
2009- 82nd

It's not impossible to build a strong defense in Starksville. Jackie Sherrill had some killer units in the late '90s. But Mullen hasn't done it.

Also, many posters have justifiably criticized Charlie Strong for his defensive failures at Texas. Are the same people ready to hitch their wagon to Manny Diaz?

2) How long before he finds "his type of QB?"

It's no secret that Mullen's offense works best with a certain type of QB- a strong, powerful runner who can also throw. Those guys are hard to find. It took Mullen five years to uncover Dak Prescott.

Even at Florida, Mullen struggled to adapt to Chris Leak. The offense fell off significantly when Mullen took over for Fedora, dropping from 13th to 63rd in yards per play. Things did not pick up until Tebow started getting involved in 2006.

How long would it take Mullen to find his QB in Miami? Kaaya is not that guy. Rosier is only an OK runner and does not look like a special talent. Shireffs and Allison are pocket passers. This may be a short-term concern, but how patient is the fanbase going to be? The right quarterback may be four years away.

There are other significant concerns, but these are two major reasons why I can't place him above Butch.

Advertisement

Wasn't it also rumored Butch was there visting his son? I think Butch might have even mentioned that as the reason he missed his show with Robert Smith but I am so inundated with coaching search information I don't remember what is what. Possible Blake might have paid him a visit there?

Wasn't it also rumored Butch was there visting his son? I think Butch might have even mentioned that as the reason he missed his show with Robert Smith but I am so inundated with coaching search information I don't remember what is what.

Correct.

Advertisement
Dan Mullen vs. ranked teams: 5-28
Dan Mullen vs. Power 5 OOC teams: 2-4

47 of his 54 career wins are against unranked SEC teams and non-Power 5 teams.

If we're looking for a guy to turn Wake Forest into an 8-4 program, Mullen is your guy. There is nothing to indicate that he can lead a program at an elite level, though.

Posted this in another thread. Mullen is an interesting name but I have reservations.

Mullen is a good coach. But I have two major concerns regarding his fit at Miami:

1) Can he fix the defense?

Mullen's defenses at Mississippi State have been pretty crappy. Aside from a very good season in 2011 with Fletcher Cox and two NFL corners, here are MSU's ranks in defensive yards-per-play under Mullen:

2015- 54th
2014- 72nd
2013- 70th
2012- 58th
2010- 40th
2009- 82nd

It's not impossible to build a strong defense in Starksville. Jackie Sherrill had some killer units in the late '90s. But Mullen hasn't done it.

Also, many posters have justifiably criticized Charlie Strong for his defensive failures at Texas. Are the same people ready to hitch their wagon to Manny Diaz?

2) How long before he finds "his type of QB?"

It's no secret that Mullen's offense works best with a certain type of QB- a strong, powerful runner who can also throw. Those guys are hard to find. It took Mullen five years to uncover Dak Prescott.

Even at Florida, Mullen struggled to adapt to Chris Leak. The offense fell off significantly when Mullen took over for Fedora, dropping from 13th to 63rd in yards per play. Things did not pick up until Tebow started getting involved in 2006.

How long would it take Mullen to find his QB in Miami? Kaaya is not that guy. Rosier is only an OK runner and does not look like a special talent. Shireffs and Allison are pocket passers. This may be a short-term concern, but how patient is the fanbase going to be? The right quarterback may be four years away.

There are other significant concerns, but these are two major reasons why I can't place him above Butch.

LOL at trying to compare Mullen at Miss State to Corch Charlie at Texas......u will never give it up huh?

Advertisement
Can mullen even recruit?

With that being sad that record at miss state in amazing

Just dont like the spread and niether does the croots

Wasn't it also rumored Butch was there visting his son? I think Butch might have even mentioned that as the reason he missed his show with Robert Smith but I am so inundated with coaching search information I don't remember what is what.

Correct.

If I remember what Butch said on Sirius yesterday, he was in Oxford for thanksgiving day with his son. All indications also were that he was interviewing in CG on Saturday also. Not sure what time this flight left but who the heck knows at this point.

Also if Mullen interviewed I would imagine that it wouldn't have happened until after the game. No coach would allow such a distraction before an important game like that.

Advertisement
Back