Matt Porter: Dan Mullen has interviewed for the Job

Just tell me what Mullen has done that is so special. He went to a mediocre program and they are mediocre. In what areas has he made a huge difference that 30 other guys couldn't replicate?

Mediocre? Google Sylvester Croom and his 5 years prior to Mullen.

He averaged 2 wins per year in the SEC. He averaged 4.2 wins per season. 4 out of 5 seasons were losing seasons. MSU was insanely bad.

Right, and many programs hit valleys like that. Mullen just pulled them back up to Jackie Sherrill territory, which was 4th place in the west. Great job of reviving a program to get them into bad bowl games, but again, what has he done that makes him elite?

We can debate whether or not Mullen makes sense, but the one thing is certain, only Vanderbilt has been historically worse in football than Mississippi State. MSU has 1 SEC title and that was in 1941. They have also won 35% of their conference games.

Advertisement
Except he's won over 60% of his games as a HC, and has a .464 record in a division that has produced 4 of the past 6 national champions, as well as 2 national runner-ups. How often would a quality coach beat Alabama, LSU, Auburn, aTm, and Arkansas?

He beat Malzhan, Pinkel, Stoops, and Bielema this year ... Had his team ranked number 1 in the country for 5 weeks last year. All at Mississippi State.

But he's far from perfect ...

The defense is a concern. And he has a bunch of buddies on his staff.

But he's maxed out Miss State.

Their next coach won't have the success Mullen has had, IMO.

See, that's the kind of stuff that fools Mike Leach fans, too. I already showed you who he beat to get to that impressive .600 mark. Problem is, he never outcoaches anyone who has better talent. Ranked opponents = losses. Where is the coaching?

Please explain to me how Barry Switzer had a better program than Jimmy Johnson had when Johnson was at Okie State, but Switzer could never beat Johnson after he came to Miami? Johnson was 0-5 against Switzer in the Big 8 ...

Sometimes, the talent and depth gap it too large.

And it's not like Mullen is losing to garbage coaches, who happen to have talent ... He loses to talented teams, with good to great coaches.

Try recruiting players to play in Mississippi then try finding players in the biggest state in the union.

So if he can't beat ranked teams and can't convince anyone to come play for him, what is it exactly that we are celebrating about him?

The fact that you're using the 90's and 80's (and maybe I guess 'historically' would encompass the whole 20th century) as a standard of comparison and evaluation to the vastly changed and different SEC is so laughable and speaks to your level of intelligence and analytical abilities. Any historian knows that recent history is the best standard of comparison because there aren't many confounding and changed variables. You thought Golden would win 10 plus in year 5... what more needs to be said.

So you don't expect Miami to do anything more than go 8-4 and lose in terrible bowl games. Can't go back beyond a few years to set your expectations, right?

Lmao you just misinterpreted and misunderstood everything I just said but that was to be expected. Once again, MSU prior to Mullen 29-67. MSU under Mullen 54-35. How could this possibly happen might you ask? Here I'll help you. The one significant variable that changed was the Head Coach, you know, the job position currently open at Miami. Even as the SEC West got harder and more competitive as Mullen was taking over and thereafter, he still vastly improved the MSU football team and program....

Advertisement
i wanna hear from our fans who are big mullen fans. bc i'm just may be missing something. all i have to judge is his time spent as a coordinator at UF and as head coach of Miss State. i just don't see the where the hype comes from. not to say he hasn't done well for himself but how is he any better than Richt who's had much more success. is it that one 10 win season? someone please enlighten me bc this mullen fanboyism kinda came outta nowhere.

He took Miss St to a number one ranking , that alone speaks highly of the cat. He did that with a bunch of 3 stars , in a division with majority 4-5 stars.

They didn't end up # 1 but that program is at a place it's never been. Just compare it's history to before Mullen and after.

They've historically been a 4th place team in the west. Mullen has them tied for 5th in year seven.

LMFAO. Record at MSU 8 years prior to Mullen--> 29-67. Mullen's current record--> 54-35. "They've historically been a 4th place team in the west" is even funnier because you either purely made it up or you just don't understand how numbers and rankings work, I'd say the latter. MSU standing in SEC West prior to Mullen--> 6th, 5th, 6th, 5th, 6th, 6th, 6th (2008-2002). They didn't place 4th once.... I guess some people just can't be helped.

"Historically" is a big word, I know.

They're tied for 4th this season ...

Bama is 7-1
Ole Miss is 6-2
LSU and Arkansas are 5-3
aTm and Miss State are 4-4
Auburn is 2-6

But Miss State was picked to finish last in the division ... And they were the underdog in the games against Auburn and Arkansas.

God you guys are fun to mess with. Mullen would be a nice catch. I don't think we can go wrong if the hire is Davis, Mullen, or Richt.

Bama is 7-1
Ole Miss is 6-2
LSU and Arkansas are 5-3
Auburn is 2-6

But Miss State was picked to finish last in the division ... And they were the underdog in the games against Auburn and Arkansas.

Um, they are 6th. They are tied with Texas A&M, and they lost to Texas A&M. Sixth.

Advertisement
What's hilarious is Mullen's accomplishments at Miss St are superior to what Butch could muster at UNC, a comparable program when he took over.

Context is lost on some low level thinkers around here.

but your statement doesn't acknowledge what butch did in Miami. shouldn't we be evaluating the entire career. and looking at Mullen's entire body of work it seems it comes down to people presuming he will have success here based off of hitting his ceiling with one program. and that ceiling is one 10 win season. my biggest problem with mullen is that A) there hasn't been sustainable success at Miss state despite whatever reason why and B) i believe it would be a rebuild with Mullen bc of the type of offense he runs. also his defenses leave a lot to be desired. i would support the hire regardless but i don't think this is a slam dunk hire the way some other posters here do. but i guess our reality is that we don't have a slam dunk hire available.

Im not sure he would be able to make the best use of Kaaya which would be an absolute waste because Kaaya with the right OC/QB coach and an even decent OL should be a stud next year.

THANK YOU!!!

Kaaya needs a REAL QB COACH, not some GIMMICKY,GLORIFIED, RB COACH!!!

Bama is 7-1
Ole Miss is 6-2
LSU and Arkansas are 5-3
Auburn is 2-6

Um, they are 6th. They are tied with Texas A&M, and they lost to Texas A&M. Sixth.

Um, that's not how it works ...

They have the 4th best record in the division, and the 4th best record in the conference.

I can promise you, Mississippi State and Texas A&M are both claiming the tie for 4th, neither is claiming a 5th or 6th place finish ...

Advertisement

They have the 4th best record in the division, and the 4th best record in the conference.

I can promise you, Mississippi State and Texas A&M are both claiming the tie for 4th, neither is claiming a 5th or 6th place finish ...

First time dealing with standings? If there are four teams with BETTER records than you, the best you can be is 5th. Then, if you lose the tie-breaker, you are sixth.

Please tell me that if it was Alabama 7-1, Mississippi 7-1, LSU 6-2 that you wouldn't be giving LSU a second place finish. Please tell me that you don't think that way.

Posted this in another thread. Mullen is an interesting name but I have reservations.

Mullen is a good coach. But I have two major concerns regarding his fit at Miami:

1) Can he fix the defense?

Mullen's defenses at Mississippi State have been pretty crappy. Aside from a very good season in 2011 with Fletcher Cox and two NFL corners, here are MSU's ranks in defensive yards-per-play under Mullen:

2015- 54th
2014- 72nd
2013- 70th
2012- 58th
2010- 40th
2009- 82nd

It's not impossible to build a strong defense in Starksville. Jackie Sherrill had some killer units in the late '90s. But Mullen hasn't done it.

Also, many posters have justifiably criticized Charlie Strong for his defensive failures at Texas. Are the same people ready to hitch their wagon to Manny Diaz?

2) How long before he finds "his type of QB?"

It's no secret that Mullen's offense works best with a certain type of QB- a strong, powerful runner who can also throw. Those guys are hard to find. It took Mullen five years to uncover Dak Prescott.

Even at Florida, Mullen struggled to adapt to Chris Leak. The offense fell off significantly when Mullen took over for Fedora, dropping from 13th to 63rd in yards per play. Things did not pick up until Tebow started getting involved in 2006.

How long would it take Mullen to find his QB in Miami? Kaaya is not that guy. Rosier is only an OK runner and does not look like a special talent. Shireffs and Allison are pocket passers. This may be a short-term concern, but how patient is the fanbase going to be? The right quarterback may be four years away.

There are other significant concerns, but these are two major reasons why I can't place him above Butch.

Outstanding post. I'm not anti-Mullen at all but some people are supplementing his resume with major bonus points for personality.

Advertisement

First time dealing with standings? If there are four teams with BETTER records than you, the best you can be is 5th. Then, if you lose the tie-breaker, you are sixth.

Please tell me that if it was Alabama 7-1, Mississippi 7-1, LSU 6-2 that you wouldn't be giving LSU a second place finish. Please tell me that you don't think that way.

Who won the Big 12 last year?

Don't you guys get it. There are certain people on this board who don't want Butch so bad that they will big up ANY name. They will make you believe that willie taggert is a great hire because of what he's doing at USF.

Do we really have people arguing that Mullen is a better hire then Butch because he treaded water in the sec?? And he gets kudos because he did it in the sec and in the state of miss? Sorry. The guy had one good season in 5 years. IDGAF what the circumstances are..ONE good season in 5 years!

Don't you guys get it. There are certain people on this board who don't want Butch so bad that they will big up ANY name. They will make you believe that willie taggert is a great hire because of what he's doing at USF.

Do we really have people arguing that Mullen is a better hire then Butch because he treaded water in the sec?? And he gets kudos because he did it in the sec and in the state of miss? Sorry. The guy had one good season in 5 years. IDGAF what the circumstances are..ONE good season in 5 years!

How many good years has Butch had in the past 15 years?

How many did Butch have at UNC?

Who won the Big 12 last year?

The Big 12 declared them co-champions. Please tell me that's not your big selling point.

Advertisement
Back