Matt Porter: Dan Mullen has interviewed for the Job

i wanna hear from our fans who are big mullen fans. bc i'm just may be missing something. all i have to judge is his time spent as a coordinator at UF and as head coach of Miss State. i just don't see the where the hype comes from. not to say he hasn't done well for himself but how is he any better than Richt who's had much more success. is it that one 10 win season? someone please enlighten me bc this mullen fanboyism kinda came outta nowhere.

UGA vs. MS State is no comparison. you cant simply look at their W/L record.

Richt ALWAYS under achieves and gets blown out in big games

Advertisement
Im not sure he would be able to make the best use of Kaaya which would be an absolute waste because Kaaya with the right OC/QB coach and an even decent OL should be a stud next year.

THANK YOU!!!

Kaaya needs a REAL QB COACH, not some GIMMICKY,GLORIFIED, RB COACH!!!

But that gimmick has won three national titles for urban

Love how you magically dismiss his ability to win championships with strong Defenses. Mullen hasn't done that yet.

Posted this in another thread. Mullen is an interesting name but I have reservations.

Mullen is a good coach. But I have two major concerns regarding his fit at Miami:

1) Can he fix the defense?

Mullen's defenses at Mississippi State have been pretty crappy. Aside from a very good season in 2011 with Fletcher Cox and two NFL corners, here are MSU's ranks in defensive yards-per-play under Mullen:

2015- 54th
2014- 72nd
2013- 70th
2012- 58th
2010- 40th
2009- 82nd

It's not impossible to build a strong defense in Starksville. Jackie Sherrill had some killer units in the late '90s. But Mullen hasn't done it.

Also, many posters have justifiably criticized Charlie Strong for his defensive failures at Texas. Are the same people ready to hitch their wagon to Manny Diaz?

2) How long before he finds "his type of QB?"

It's no secret that Mullen's offense works best with a certain type of QB- a strong, powerful runner who can also throw. Those guys are hard to find. It took Mullen five years to uncover Dak Prescott.

Even at Florida, Mullen struggled to adapt to Chris Leak. The offense fell off significantly when Mullen took over for Fedora, dropping from 13th to 63rd in yards per play. Things did not pick up until Tebow started getting involved in 2006.

How long would it take Mullen to find his QB in Miami? Kaaya is not that guy. Rosier is only an OK runner and does not look like a special talent. Shireffs and Allison are pocket passers. This may be a short-term concern, but how patient is the fanbase going to be? The right quarterback may be four years away.

There are other significant concerns, but these are two major reasons why I can't place him above Butch.

these are good points.

Give me Butch

Don't you guys get it. There are certain people on this board who don't want Butch so bad that they will big up ANY name. They will make you believe that willie taggert is a great hire because of what he's doing at USF.

Do we really have people arguing that Mullen is a better hire then Butch because he treaded water in the sec?? And he gets kudos because he did it in the sec and in the state of miss? Sorry. The guy had one good season in 5 years. IDGAF what the circumstances are..ONE good season in 5 years!

You do know that is exact same resume that Butch put up at Miami. One good season in 6. Losing to Virginia Tech like it was his job. Cost himself one Orange Bowl berth because of it. And save the scholarship stuff. There was enough talent on that roster in 95 and 96 to beat Beamer

Please don't get mullen. I would honestly rather have every other coach mentioned. He has shown no ability to coach and beat good teams

Advertisement
Wow. That is downright awful. Coupled with the low ratings of the defenses, no thanks...

But, again, with proper due diligence he is decent enough to have a chat with, anyway....

Dan Mullen vs. ranked teams: 5-28
Dan Mullen vs. Power 5 OOC teams: 2-4

47 of his 54 career wins are against unranked SEC teams and non-Power 5 teams.

If we're looking for a guy to turn Wake Forest into an 8-4 program, Mullen is your guy. There is nothing to indicate that he can lead a program at an elite level, though.

Um, that's not how it works ...

They have the 4th best record in the division, and the 4th best record in the conference.

I can promise you, Mississippi State and Texas A&M are both claiming the tie for 4th, neither is claiming a 5th or 6th place finish ...

First time dealing with standings? If there are four teams with BETTER records than you, the best you can be is 5th. Then, if you lose the tie-breaker, you are sixth.

Please tell me that if it was Alabama 7-1, Mississippi 7-1, LSU 6-2 that you wouldn't be giving LSU a second place finish. Please tell me that you don't think that way.

Who won the Big 12 last year?

The Big 12 declared them co-champions. Please tell me that's not your big selling point.

Let it go, bro.

You just answered your own question.

TCU and Baylor TIED for 1st, even though Baylor BEAT TCU.

That's the way it works in every scenario, unless the tie-breakers matter for playoff positioning.

I like your contrarian act ... But let this one go.

Al Golden claims a 1st place Coastal for the 3-way finish in 2012 ... UNC does, too. Clemson also claims a co-championship for that season.

I'm guessing this is your contrarian act ... But you might really be the only one who doesn't know how this stuff works ...

Don't you guys get it. There are certain people on this board who don't want Butch so bad that they will big up ANY name. They will make you believe that willie taggert is a great hire because of what he's doing at USF.

Do we really have people arguing that Mullen is a better hire then Butch because he treaded water in the sec?? And he gets kudos because he did it in the sec and in the state of miss? Sorry. The guy had one good season in 5 years. IDGAF what the circumstances are..ONE good season in 5 years!

You do know that is exact same resume that Butch put up at Miami. One good season in 6. Losing to Virginia Tech like it was his job. Cost himself one Orange Bowl berth because of it. And save the scholarship stuff. There was enough talent on that roster in 95 and 96 to beat Beamer

So now Butch had a "good season". If we're talking to Florida fans, we're telling people that we had the best team in the history of college football. But when it's time to discredit Butch Davis, he had "a good season". Typical.

i wanna hear from our fans who are big mullen fans. bc i'm just may be missing something. all i have to judge is his time spent as a coordinator at UF and as head coach of Miss State. i just don't see the where the hype comes from. not to say he hasn't done well for himself but how is he any better than Richt who's had much more success. is it that one 10 win season? someone please enlighten me bc this mullen fanboyism kinda came outta nowhere.

UGA vs. MS State is no comparison. you cant simply look at their W/L record.

Richt ALWAYS under achieves and gets blown out in big games

he's won BCS and other big bowls and won his conference twice. these are things that actually happened. assuming mullen would dominate here bc he averages 4 losses a season in the almighty SEC west is something that is purely hope. but everyone is overlooking the fact that Mullen cant' coach a pro style offense. so basically kaaya will be wasted along with the guys we have coming in.

Advertisement

How many good years has Butch had in the past 15 years?

How many did Butch have at UNC?

F that. WE KNOW what butch can do. Idgaf how long ago it was. HE DID IT! He built nothing into something THREE TIMES. (Canes, Browns, UNC) IDGAF how long ago it was. If you smashed Beyoncé when she was 18 you saying that **** don't count now because it was 15 years ago?? You not going to give props to that?

I know one thing..Mullen NEVER did it. You are hanging your hat on hope and BS analytics of what he could do.

Um, that's not how it works ...

They have the 4th best record in the division, and the 4th best record in the conference.

I can promise you, Mississippi State and Texas A&M are both claiming the tie for 4th, neither is claiming a 5th or 6th place finish ...

First time dealing with standings? If there are four teams with BETTER records than you, the best you can be is 5th. Then, if you lose the tie-breaker, you are sixth.

Please tell me that if it was Alabama 7-1, Mississippi 7-1, LSU 6-2 that you wouldn't be giving LSU a second place finish. Please tell me that you don't think that way.

Who won the Big 12 last year?

The Big 12 declared them co-champions. Please tell me that's not your big selling point.

Let it go, bro.

You just answered your own question.

TCU and Baylor TIED for 1st, even though Baylor BEAT TCU.

That's the way it works in every scenario, unless the tie-breakers matter for playoff positioning.

I like your contrarian act ... But let this one go.

Al Golden claims a 1st place Coastal for the 3-way finish in 2012 ... UNC does, too. Clemson also claims a co-championship for that season.

I'm guessing this is your contrarian act ... But you might really be the only one who doesn't know how this stuff works ...

No, you said they were in fourth. There are four teams with better records ahead of them. The best they can claim is a tie for 5th, but everyone knows they lost to that team.

What place does Vandy finish in if these are the final standings:

Florida 7-1
Georgia 4-4
Kentucky 4-4
Missouri 4-4
South Carolina 4-4
Tennessee 4-4
Vanderbilt 1-7

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE tell me that you think Vandy finished third.

7 out of the top 10 teams run a pro style offense. I don't want an offense that requires a special talent at QB for it to be any good.

Advertisement
7 out of the top 10 teams run a pro style offense. I don't want an offense that requires a special talent at QB for it to be any good.

Some of us tried to tell people this a few weeks ago. The spread gimmick teams that don't play defense are almost all out of the playoff picture.

1. Yes, we know how the Butch process works at Miami...when he's in his 40's. He was 49 his final season here. If we're being honest, a 64 y/o coach returning to a school 15 years later, after being out of coaching for 5 seasons, is worrisome. I mean, I know Howard Schnellenberger's process works here, too, but I don't want to hire him. Butch brings question marks like Mullen.

2. Worrying about a fit with the QBs on the roster is kind of short-sighted. You can't make a coaching decision based on personnel that will be here possibly one more year at most. If a guy is it good coach you bring him in and let him build the roster and program for the future. This would be similar to UF shying away from Meyer because they only had Leak at the time. He found his QB. The rest is history.

3. Dan Mullen has a high ceiling. He's only 43. He's still evolving as a head coach and all he's done his whole career is engineer great offenses, tutor award-winning QBs, and turn a doormat team into a viable program. This isn't Al Golden winning 8 games at Temple; he took MSU to a BCS Bowl game and had them ranked #1 during that season. They're ranked again. He's doing this at a severe talent disadvantage compared to 4 of the teams in his own division.

4. As for his defense, I'm wiping away his first year because I'd do the same with all coaches walking into a disaster. From 2010-Present, his total defenses have averaged a ranking of 49th. Slightly above average. Now, keep in mind his defensive coordinator Goeff Collins was highly-coveted and plucked away by UF because nobody wants to coach or play in Starksville.

5. Back to the QB issue, I'd argue Mullen is a great fit for Miami. The state of Florida is largely comprised of dual-threat QBs. Mullen's entire career has consisted of him turning these types of QBs into All-Americans capable of leading top offenses. Yes, he's a spread formation guy, but he still leans heavily on a power run game. He gets a lot of weapons involved and he spreads the field and knows how to use spacing and speed to kill a defense.

6. He's got a better record than both Jimmy and Dennis before they were hired. I like to look past that and consider where they're coach, the competition, their style of play, etc. If CIS was around when JJ was hired we would've laughed at his best season being 8-4.

I understand he comes with question marks, I think anyone outside of a handful of coaches do. Everyone on our candidate list does right now, but I think Mullen gets a bad rap by the casual college football fans who fail to understand his coaching history, MSU's program, and what he brings to the table. Just sayin'

F that. WE KNOW what butch can do. Idgaf how long ago it was. HE DID IT! He built nothing into something THREE TIMES. (Canes, Browns, UNC) IDGAF how long ago it was. If you smashed Beyoncé when she was 18 you saying that **** don't count now because it was 15 years ago?? You not going to give props to that?

I know one thing..Mullen NEVER did it. You are hanging your hat on hope and BS analytics of what he could do.

LOL

So, Butch gets credit for building UNC ... But Mullen doesn't get credit for Miss State??

LOL

And no, I don't brag about women from 15 years ago, or anything else fro 15 years ago ... The only guys still bragging about accomplishments from 15 years ago are guys who haven't accomplished anything since then.

Advertisement

LOL

So, Butch gets credit for building UNC ... But Mullen doesn't get credit for Miss State??

LOL

And no, I don't brag about women from 15 years ago, or anything else fro 15 years ago ... The only guys still bragging about accomplishments from 15 years ago are guys who haven't accomplished anything since then.

Except......Mullen hasn't accomplished anything. Send him to Illinois since he is a master at turning bad programs into 6th place finishers.

Some of us tried to tell people this a few weeks ago. The spread gimmick teams that don't play defense are almost all out of the playoff picture.

3 of the last 4 teams to play in the national title game were spread offenses (Oregon, Ohio State and Auburn).

3 of the last 4 teams to play in the national title game were spread offenses (Oregon, Ohio State and Auburn).

Two lost, and the one that won plays defense. Try to read the whole post.

LOL

LOL

Ahhh buddy, I dont care who you are, if you smashed Beyonce in ANY year you got my props. You must be white. lol

Anyway what has Mullen built? This is his 7th year. (I was wrong..I thought he had only been there 5! So its actually worse!)

He has only ended the season ranked TWICE. He had ONE season where he won 10 games.

Was Miss St ever on probation and I missed it or something? Did he come into scholie reductions?

And this is who you want to hand the keys to? LOL.

Advertisement
Back