Matt Doherty on Diaz per Miami Herald

Advertisement
I understand everything you just said, to me that's obvious being a Hurricane fan. What I'm saying is hes great but the blue print he used was done before. He thought he could recreate that Magic anywhere because he's "Butch Davis". Miami was his opportunity and I think he thought he was bigger than Miami. I understand wanting to better your career but i think he bit off more than he can chew. Alot of coaches have great runs but the great coaches stay great through generations.
So because he couldn't win big at UNC and he's now toiling at FIU that somehow diminishes what he did here? I don't get it.. Schnellenberger didn't do great anywhere else by the way. He was ok at Louisville and very mediocre at Oklahoma.

So because he couldn't win big at UNC and he's now toiling at FIU that somehow diminishes what he did here? I don't get it.. Schnellenberger didn't do great anywhere else by the way. He was ok at Louisville and very mediocre at Oklahoma.

Last reply from me. I think Butch Davis did just about as good as anyone could of done in that time. But I dont think its because he's special especially because his mentor did it before him. It sucks that every coach that comes to Miami has to be compared to a guy that left the schoo high and dry. If I'm offending Butch Davis personally good I hope he regrets the decision. But Butch Davis isn't some retired Legend he's in the University of Miami's back yard. So not only does Manny Diaz and every other coach to come and go have to be compared to the guy but the guy is on the Schedule trying to beat us in our own city. Taking as many recruits as he can. Probably getting in recruits heads. If you had a girlfriend that left you and then started going out with your little brother would you still view her the same? If Butch Davis does what FAU and UCF did at FIU ill eat every word I said. Seriously though Butch Davis is the Competition and people are saying hopefully manny can be him on a thread complementing Manny Diaz. I'm a Die Hard for years and created this account when I saw manny get hired because that's what I told all my friends Miami should do. Except it worked out better because Mark Richt quit and didn't get fired. The Talent is always out there for the taking and Manny appears to be a taker. I doubt anyone will ever mention Eric Spoelstra in the same breath as Pat Riley. But Spoelstra had "The Big 3". I hope it makes sense but I'm not trying to make people agree with me.

Quickly turned into a Manny v Butch debate. What in the flying ****? We know Butch's accomplishments, I don't need to read 2 pages of them on a thread that has zero to do with him. How about y'all just let Manny be great? ****.

Funny. I specifically remember you writing this last year. It was the first time I heard someone say Diaz would be a better HC than a DC. Let’s hope for our sake you’re right.

Personally, I’m not sold on Diaz. His recruiting concerns me and you can live on the Portal market for so long.

I wasn’t even sold on him as DC but I think the portal is a life line for us. We can pick up some good used horses free that others paid bag money for. Manny seems to have been more ready for it than anyone and I give him credit for it. If he can convert it into huge season this year on the field, maybe it helps normal recruiting.

Advertisement
I've said this a handful of times since he arrived, but found a thread from last season where I wrote it on the board. I'll stick to this for the same reasoning I previously offered: I just think Diaz's skill set fits better as a HC than as a DC. He's an aggressive dude who wants to anticipate (sometimes recklessly, but showed big adjustments with that tendency in '18). If all we do is reflect that, it's a significant step forward.

View attachment 78279
Spot on!

Speaking of adjustments, it seamed like Manny made great halftime adjustments. I think if we look back, most of them had less yards and scored less in the second half. if he can make the offensive adjustments, look out!

Last reply from me. I think Butch Davis did just about as good as anyone could of done in that time. But I dont think its because he's special especially because his mentor did it before him. It sucks that every coach that comes to Miami has to be compared to a guy that left the schoo high and dry. If I'm offending Butch Davis personally good I hope he regrets the decision. But Butch Davis isn't some retired Legend he's in the University of Miami's back yard. So not only does Manny Diaz and every other coach to come and go have to be compared to the guy but the guy is on the Schedule trying to beat us in our own city. Taking as many recruits as he can. Probably getting in recruits heads. If you had a girlfriend that left you and then started going out with your little brother would you still view her the same? If Butch Davis does what FAU and UCF did at FIU ill eat every word I said. Seriously though Butch Davis is the Competition and people are saying hopefully manny can be him on a thread complementing Manny Diaz. I'm a Die Hard for years and created this account when I saw manny get hired because that's what I told all my friends Miami should do. Except it worked out better because Mark Richt quit and didn't get fired. The Talent is always out there for the taking and Manny appears to be a taker. I doubt anyone will ever mention Eric Spoelstra in the same breath as Pat Riley. But Spoelstra had "The Big 3". I hope it makes sense but I'm not trying to make people agree with me.

Butch left us to go to the pros. So did Howard, JJ and Dennis and To bad Cooker didn’t. Butch’s offense was he did not leave after a NC. He did smash the gator in the mouth and probably convince Steve to jump ship but no NC. Howard’s leaving was probably a bigger betrayal because he had already been NFL coach and he left to a start up league. We never blamed him because he had his son for cover and there was the NC. In truth, he left because of the on campus stadium he wanted. The school screwed him over about it, went back on a promise and he left because of it. I was there and part of it. Howard is a fantastic human being and great coach but he left as an act of pride. I did not and do not blame him for it. He remains the hero of our story.

Butch was poor kid with a chance to jump to the riches of nfl. He resisted but again our wonderful adminstration screwed it up and he cave at the next offer. Had Randy, Al, and Mark brought home titles we would probably all be over Butch but they did not. If Manny win a NC, he will be our new idol. If not then he is another loser on the scrap heap. But if you think Manny turns down a NFL HC gig you are a fool. He is a looking for that next step on the ladder too and that is a good thing as long as he leaves a NC in the trophy case.

But I dont think its because he's special especially because his mentor did it before him.
JJ never had 30 scholarships reduction/bowl ban 1st year, nor anyone else, in history, so your basic cognitive IQ processing facts is extremely low. Butch turned that worst in history non-death penalty sanction, into the greatest NCAA team ever https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2000_Miami_Hurricanes_football_team
He also didn't bail on UM, UM fkd up Admin bailed on him, screwed him with a BS contract despite what he had done. So he left for the next level, just like JJ and Schelly both did.
Btw, based on your Dunning-Kruger syndrome, I guarantee that wasn't your last reply.

In Miami, Udonis Haslem goes in the Rafters before Lebron James. ( He left to Cleveland,Tremendous Talent) Manny Diaz goes in the Rafters before Butch Davis. ( He left to Cleveland, Tremendous Talent). it won't make sense to most outside the fanbase. It won't make sense to some inside the fanbase. Just because Butch Davis didn't have Social Media your going to deny the views? Manny Diaz just got the job, and this "Might" be the beginning to Players being Pumped out into the Draft. Martell is a 1st if he just does what he's been doing his entire life. Brevin Jordan the next best since Njoku. Manny Diaz said this is his Dream Job, and after the Aggressive Defensive performances, TurnOver Chain, Portal Mastery, Respect that's rising, FIRING the right people for once. Part of my belief and stance on the subject is because I see the shift. If 10 years from now #TNM is still Trending remember who said it. Block me if you really think im Troll PLEASE. if I'm not at Hard rock stadium I'll be watching the games at Miami Lakes Ale House like I've been for years. If you think Butch Davis had Bums and nothing else remember ☆☆☆☆☆ Ratings are always off. KJ Osborn was a ☆☆ but I guess there's a Butch style evaluator in Buffalo
FOH with that Rafters BS......If it wasnt for Butch....those so called Rafters would be ill defined....

Advertisement
In fact Manny has been clued in as to how Coach L has been trying to keep the basketball team alive, if not relevant. Until he was ****ed by the FBI/Adidas mess he had the program on firm, ground after years of building it via transfers.
Basketball can be built by transfers, 2 players , 40% of your starters, you are not building a football team through transfers -

Advertisement
I've said this a handful of times since he arrived, but found a thread from last season where I wrote it on the board. I'll stick to this for the same reasoning I previously offered: I just think Diaz's skill set fits better as a HC than as a DC. He's an aggressive dude who wants to anticipate (sometimes recklessly, but showed big adjustments with that tendency in '18). If all we do is reflect that, it's a significant step forward.

View attachment 78279
Gotta say this is wrong so far. He's been good at fixing obvious mistakes. He's killed the offseason. But, we're sorta watching him learn how to be a HC, which I figured would happen elsewhere.

Just curious if he will be ahead of the game when it comes to hiring competent coaching to develope all these transfers he was ahead of the game for..

Advertisement
Quickly turned into a Manny v Butch debate. What in the flying ****? We know Butch's accomplishments, I don't need to read 2 pages of them on a thread that has zero to do with him. How about y'all just let Manny be great? ****.

Fine - but he's got some more firing and hiring to do - and he needs to sh*t or get off the pot.

I don't understand how OUR coaches - decide to hold on to their favorite unproductive bitc*es - to the point of losing their job.

Don't understand the stupidity that requires one to exhibit.

Gotta say this is wrong so far. He's been good at fixing obvious mistakes. He's killed the offseason. But, we're sorta watching him learn how to be a HC, which I figured would happen elsewhere.
I was about to ask you if you still thinks his skill sets make him better as a HC than a DC. You're quick to re-adjust your thinking!

I too had high hope for him to be a really good HC even before Richt decided to call it quit.
Two years on the job were enough for me to see he lacks the CEO qualities. I hope I'm wrong.

Advertisement
Back