Matt Doherty on Diaz per Miami Herald

I was about to ask you if you still thinks his skill sets make him better as a HC than a DC. You're quick to re-adjust your thinking!

I too had high hope for him to be a really good HC even before Richt decided to call it quit.
Two years on the job were enough for me to see he lacks the CEO qualities. I hope I'm wrong.
New and more info. If I'm wrong, I'm wrong. Think I was wrong here. Again, though, think he would've been well-suited as Temple's HC right now. He's adjusted each offseason, but this is a different animal. Not a great place to learn on the job.

Advertisement
Gotta say this is wrong so far. He's been good at fixing obvious mistakes. He's killed the offseason. But, we're sorta watching him learn how to be a HC, which I figured would happen elsewhere.
Yup he very well might turn it around and win 10 games next season and keep this upward trend up as he lucked into a gift that is King

but he should have cut his teeth at Temple and If the guy who failed that replaced Richt he should have been the top candidate for the job

Sounds like we paid a premium for him to learn on the job, We dont act or run as a top program.. Mom and pop shop
Suntan[]__[].

This University exists for wealthy boosters and their kids to floss, promote their interests and print degrees.

Carry on...

Anticipation Popcorn GIF

Last edited:
Advertisement
Gotta say this is wrong so far. He's been good at fixing obvious mistakes. He's killed the offseason. But, we're sorta watching him learn how to be a HC, which I figured would happen elsewhere.
Agreed with all except for “he’s killed the offseason”. He HAD the chance to do it again this offseason and he dropped the ball big time on the defensive staff moves (post TRob hire) cause he thinks the Manny Defense doesn’t stink. Big fail and now win or lose it’s ALL on him. He’s about to learn how NOT to be a HC if more than half of CIS is right about him.

But I wish him luck, and hope he can prove us all wrong

Advertisement
Manny’s progression to HC has been a typical one; if there is such a thing. From gopher GA, to position coach, to DC, to head coach. Whether or not he should have learned on the job at a lower level HC position is obviously still up for debate.

Manny’s progression to HC has been a typical one; if there is such a thing. From gopher GA, to position coach, to DC, to head coach. Whether or not he should have learned on the job at a lower level HC position is obviously still up for debate.
If he screws up here, he'll go to Bama as a position coach and be redeemed.

“The approach to transfer acquisitions — one thing that stood out to me about [Diaz] is he’s very keyed in on things that are patterns before they become full-blown trends,” Doherty told Joe Zagacki on Hurricane Hotline. “For years he’s been talking about this transfer landscape in college football is going to explode, become full-blown free agency. Sure enough you’ve seen that happen by the day … the fact we were prepared for that is a testament to coach Diaz.”
Don’t quite agree. He can’t recruit, evaluate or assess the needs of the team. He needs to see the product after it has already been recruited and given experience. Are these transfers true canes? I think not. He’s looking to get lucky with a one and done.

Advertisement
Why do people praise Butch Davis soo much. Manny Diaz already passed him in the rafters. Butch is a solid coach but not in Jimmy Johnson status. Also Butch Left us for Cleveland, Now hes at FIU that's a great Career timeline
He rebuilt the canes. Remember no one wanted the job. He built the best COLLEGE team in our generation. Without him, we'd be dead. And who cares that he went to Cleveland. Davis saved our a$$'s.

Yup he very well might turn it around and win 10 games next season and keep this upward trend up as he lucked into a gift that is King

but he should have cut his teeth at Temple and If the guy who failed that replaced Richt he should have been the top candidate for the job
Yeah, I see what you're trying to say. But instead, it looks like the hire put us on the most direct route; Manny's cutting his teeth in the ACC and hypothetically winning as much or more than a post-Richt hypothetical coach, or he might not have made it till next year. So, by your scenario that puts us ahead of the game from a continuity standpoint with King, who he recruited (not the hypothetical) as a gift he gave himself.

Because whoever coaches here lives under the shadow of the glory days and a ridiculously impatient fan base that will start to turn as soon as the first loss, and scream for flying banners by the 3rd.

Yeah, I see what you're trying to say. But instead, it looks like the hire put us on the most direct route; Manny's cutting his teeth in the ACC and hypothetically winning as much or more than a post-Richt hypothetical coach, or he might not have made it till next year. So, by your scenario that puts us ahead of the game from a continuity standpoint with King, who he recruited (not the hypothetical) as a gift he gave himself.

Because whoever coaches here lives under the shadow of the glory days and a ridiculously impatient fan base that will start to turn as soon as the first loss, and scream for flying banners by the 3rd.
I agree with everything you said as well...

his rookie season with debacles of FIU, LaTech, and flat out head scratchers in GT and VT is the price we pay for him to get us back to consistent 10+ win seasons and shots at nattys so be it...

but that rookie season was absolutely brutal having him learn on the job and take his lumps with such a bad OC

Advertisement
New and more info. If I'm wrong, I'm wrong. Think I was wrong here. Again, though, think he would've been well-suited as Temple's HC right now. He's adjusted each offseason, but this is a different animal. Not a great place to learn on the job.
What adjustment is that Lu?

I agree with everything you said as well...

his rookie season with debacles of FIU, LaTech, and flat out head scratchers in GT and VT is the price we pay for him to get us back to consistent 10+ win seasons and shots at nattys so be it...

but that rookie season was absolutely brutal having him learn on the job and take his lumps with such a bad OC
You all are in such a rush to make excuses common sense just gets thrown out the window. Please let me know what learning on the job is manny doing? It's a well known fact he doesn't even touch the offensive side of the ball. Obviously he's been a VERY hands on dc since he's been here. So what's changed in HIS capacity?

You all are in such a rush to make excuses common sense just gets thrown out the window. Please let me know what learning on the job is manny doing? It's a well known fact he doesn't even touch the offensive side of the ball. Obviously he's been a VERY hands on dc since he's been here. So what's changed in HIS capacity?
Good question.....

I saw a big difference from me questioning my fan hood in Diaz’s rookie season... to a very respectable season (with only one head scratcher in UNC)

Is it where we wanna be? No. But year two coming off a terrible... awful.. embarrassing season.. yeah it’s a “win”. He has a nice recruiting class coming off the season which hopefully he parlays into a 10 win season with a News years bowl game win.

Advertisement
Back