Matt Doherty on Diaz per Miami Herald

Because he put more 1st rounders into the NFL than both of them combined....and you can add Erickson to the list as well....and did it under intense scrutiny, combined with Severe Sanctions that the others didn't.....Better than Howard or JJ??....Nah....but should his name be mentioned with them??...Absolutely...
It's a serious Question. I said butch is a solid coach but what puts him in Jimmy Johnson, Howard Schnellenberger.

Advertisement
Because he put more 1st rounders into the NFL than both of them combined....and you can add Erickson to the list as well....and did it under intense scrutiny, combined with Severe Sanctions that the others didn't.....Better than Howard or JJ??....Nah....but should his name be mentioned with them??...Absolutely...

How are we defining good coach? talent evaluation? Xs and Os? CEO ability to manage an organization? etc.

I think Butch excelled at 2 of these but you would never say that Butch davis teams were well coached.

I understand everything you just said, to me that's obvious being a Hurricane fan. What I'm saying is hes great but the blue print he used was done before. He thought he could recreate that Magic anywhere because he's "Butch Davis". Miami was his opportunity and I think he thought he was bigger than Miami. I understand wanting to better your career but i think he bit off more than he can chew. Alot of coaches have great runs but the great coaches stay great through generations.
The blueprint Butch used was done before??...When and where did a CFB HC put 25 1st rounders into the NFL (Including 5 HOFers/soon to be) in a 6 yr span??...(don't try......it never happened)

How are we defining good coach? talent evaluation? Xs and Os? CEO ability to manage an organization? etc.

I think Butch excelled at 2 of these but you would never say that Butch davis teams were well coached.
Weren't well coached??...
Best RB coach in UM History
Best OL coach in UM History
Best WR coach in UM History
Best DB & ST coach in UM History
But they weren't well coached??....Jesus H Christ.....

Advertisement
Weren't well coached??...
Best RB coach in UM History
Best OL coach in UM History
Best WR coach in UM History
Best DB & ST coach in UM History
But they weren't well coached??....Jesus H Christ.....

You’re arguing different things. we’re talking butch Davis here. He was not an Xs and Os guy but he was notoriously bad at clock management etc. and for 95-98, although we had roster challenges, we weren’t out scheming anyone - not even close.

You’re arguing different things. we’re talking butch Davis here. He was not an Xs and Os guy but he was notoriously bad at clock management etc. and for 95-98, although we had roster challenges, we weren’t out scheming anyone - not even close.
We out schemed UCLA in 98...and
We out schemed Bowden in 2000...and out schemed Spurrier & UF in 2001 Sugar Bowl...and would've out schemed OU in the NC.....Stop the silliness....The 2001 team is a product of Butch.....take 31 schollies from Saban and Dabo with no Bowl or TV for a yr and see how Great they can scheme, when you can barely hold a practice because of schollie reductions (see UM 96 & 97)

We out schemed Bowden in 2000...and out schemed Spurrier & UF in 2001 Sugar Bowl...and would've out schemed OU in the NC.....Stop the silliness....The 2001 team is a product of Butch.....take 31 schollies from Saban and Dabo with no Bowl or TV for a yr and see how Great they can scheme, when you can barely hold a practice because of schollie reductions (see UM 96 & 97)

Bro, seriously, relax. You are talking way out in left field and arguing different things than I am.

Relax, take a breather, step away from the computer and maybe you can re-engage when you read carefully. LGC.

Advertisement
First memory of Miami as a kid is pops yelling “you have Miami athletes, stop with the zone **** every play!!” back in 98.

He was not a fan of the scheme at the time.

d
We already know. We played and got crushed by Clemson and UNC and lost to Okie State in a game we should’ve won. No one serious thinks we’re hanging around Bama. It’s what we do after that game. Keep reaching for straws.

What they do is **** can Cleats, put together a plan for Mario and then hold out hope he returns home

Miami won’t get a better fit than Mario.

He would be here for the next 15+ years.

Mario would kill it in recruiting and have access to quality coaches.

Yeah he might blow a call or three, but he would have Miami competing every year at a pace they currently don’t have.

Last edited:

He got his *** handed to him by nearly evert decent opponent the first 5 years. He never outschemed anyone. He didn't win until he had as many players as everyone else.

STOP REWRITING HISTORY.

@dsddcane .....Just wanted you to know @AUcane feels Butch's teams weren't well coached......you simply cant make this idiocy up....Btw....your coaching was trash...Lol
I won't even bother to respond to no dumb *** **** like that. The only thing butch and staff had to work on was game day/situational coaching on the offensive side of the ball cause there wasn't alot of experience with calling a game on staff at the beginning. Butch was by far the best coach I ever been around and that's on any level.

Advertisement
He got his *** handed to him by nearly evert decent opponent the first 5 years. He never outschemed anyone. He didn't win until he had as many players as everyone else.

STOP REWRITING HISTORY.
Are you serious? You know after year two,****** around mid way through year two how many scholarship kids we had available? Lol he dominated once we had some depth but from day one we were coached up to extreme levels.

Are you serious? You know after year two,****** around mid way through year two how many scholarship kids we had available? Lol he dominated once we had some depth but from day one we were coached up to extreme levels.

You are literally repeating exactly what I said.

You may have been coached up individually but on game day it was usually a catastrophe until he got the team at full strength. He never out schemed anyone for a big win. He won when he overwhelmed everyone talent wise.

You are literally repeating exactly what I said.

You may have been coached up individually but on game day it was usually a catastrophe until he got the team at full strength. He never out schemed anyone for a big win. He won when he overwhelmed everyone talent wise.
The fact that other than 97 we were even competitive was amazing up until 99. We were playing iron man **** near throughout the year when it relates to scholarship numbers. Regardless games day coaching comes mainly from experience. As a staff when it relates to actually calling plays on the offensive side of the ball we were lacking. On top of that we were so young all throughout first and second string we were basically playing as a talented high school squad for a second against established squads. Gameday is a important piece of coaching however it's a PIECE... The coaching we were getting daily throughout practice, in the weight room, nutritionally & film prep collectively at no point in my career did I ever see that level of coaching. If manny was coaching kids up throughout the team and kids were developing,had the mental and prep approach necessary, honestly if they had any of the rest of the boxes checked off you'd say maybe I can see a light somewhere in this tunnel. But for the people who talk **** about butch I'll never for a second have any level of respect for anyone I see who does that. His coaching was on a whole other level and he built this program to be elite from basically scratch with obstacles in place no one in college football history other than basically smu has ever seen. Put some respect on that man's name cause if y'all are actual fans of this university than you owe him forever. It's one thing to harp on he should be here etc and it's a hole other to act like he doesn't deserve the credit all our other elite coaches deserved or atleast in that category. Other than howard can't even make the argument they had to do what butch did & butch did it with half the scholarships.

Advertisement
The fact that other than 97 we were even competitive was amazing up until 99. We were playing iron man **** near throughout the year when it relates to scholarship numbers. Regardless games day coaching comes mainly from experience. As a staff when it relates to actually calling plays on the offensive side of the ball we were lacking. On top of that we were so young all throughout first and second string we were basically playing as a talented high school squad for a second against established squads. Gameday is a important piece of coaching however it's a PIECE... The coaching we were getting daily throughout practice, in the weight room, nutritionally & film prep collectively at no point in my career did I ever see that level of coaching. If manny was coaching kids up throughout the team and kids were developing,had the mental and prep approach necessary, honestly if they had any of the rest of the boxes checked off you'd say maybe I can see a light somewhere in this tunnel. But for the people who talk **** about butch I'll never for a second have any level of respect for anyone I see who does that. His coaching was on a whole other level and he built this program to be elite from basically scratch with obstacles in place no one in college football history other than basically smu has ever seen. Put some respect on that man's name cause if y'all are actual fans of this university than you owe him forever. It's one thing to harp on he should be here etc and it's a hole other to act like he doesn't deserve the credit all our other elite coaches deserved or atleast in that category. Other than howard can't even make the argument they had to do what butch did & butch did it with half the scholarships.
The issue concerning Butch that I see on this board is the continued revisionist history of what shoulda, coulda, woulda with regard to what he did or didn't do during his tenure at the U. It comes up more often because it's the closest in proximity to a time when The U was last relevant. We rarely hear about what Schnelly, JJ, or Erickson accomplished in a different time under different circumstances.

A couple of Butch defenders, including yourself, defend him against all who dare to question his accomplishments and escalates into ****ing contests that end the same way - irrelevant to the current state of the U. I have no doubt you know as well as anyone that it's a different time and completely different playing field these days and although we shouldn't forget our past, it's irrelevant to the current state of the program.

The issue concerning Butch that I see on this board is the continued revisionist history of what shoulda, coulda, woulda with regard to what he did or didn't do during his tenure at the U. It comes up more often because it's the closest in proximity to a time when The U was last relevant. We rarely hear about what Schnelly, JJ, or Erickson accomplished in a different time under different circumstances.

A couple of Butch defenders, including yourself, defend him against all who dare to question his accomplishments and escalates into ****ing contests that end the same way - irrelevant to the current state of the U. I have no doubt you know as well as anyone that it's a different time and completely different playing field these days and although we shouldn't forget our past, it's irrelevant to the current state of the program.
That's not true that we "Rarely" hear about Howard...JJ...and DE on this site....We hear and talk about them plenty...I Love Howard and JJ...I also have a fondness to a lesser degree concerning DE....I'm well aware about his 2 NCs...but they were gift wrapped for him from JJ....As Coker's was from Butch...but left an absolute mess as he hauled *** outta Hecht...The Past is NEVER irrelevant...especially when Greatness was the Norm for the better part of 35yrs..and it turned into an absolute sh*tshow for 18+ yrs...When your teams past is the Epitome of Greatness in your particular Sport for that length of time...its not only natural to bring it up, but its a pleasant break from the Garbage we've seen since forever...

If you choose to include me in your comments you should be accurate. I'm not a butch defender at all because I know butch doesn't need defending. Because I chimed in with one statement is quite different. I tell everyone constantly I love butch and always will for what hes done for me. For the values and work ethic he instilled in us and what he did for me and my family for generations to come. For anyone other than parents, 9 out of 10 individuals can't comprehend that. I'm a realist first and foremost. Butch was amazing for what he did for this university. He catches nonsense from alot of the fan base for several reasons. The understandable ones are early years game day coaching. He was learning on the job since coordinator was never his thing or same on the offensive side of the ball. But what most now berate him for is how he left because NONE of y'all can comprehend what actually occured and why he left. Y'all just think he abandoned us and ran off to Cleveland. Yet howard who had ideal circumstances here and left us for far less is idolized by most or simply not relevant to the idjits. But butch's time is in the past. He wouldn't have been the right coach for us now or under cmr time. Would he have been better than them,almost certainly. However does that make him or them the right coach for us in this landscape? Nope not at all. So please leave me out of your blanket statements unless you know my mind set. I simply don't like stupidity. By the way for the relevant issues there really isn't much of a difference between this landscape and that time. Only relevant difference would be social media which the entire country has the same issue hence a level playing field.

That's not true that we "Rarely" hear about Howard...JJ...and DE on this site....We hear and talk about them plenty...I Love Howard and JJ...I also have a fondness to a lesser degree concerning DE....I'm well aware about his 2 NCs...but they were gift wrapped for him from JJ....As Coker's was from Butch...but left an absolute mess as he hauled *** outta Hecht...The Past is NEVER irrelevant...especially when Greatness was the Norm for the better part of 35yrs..and it turned into an absolute sh*tshow for 18+ yrs...When your teams past is the Epitome of Greatness in your particular Sport for that length of time...its not only natural to bring it up, but its a pleasant break from the Garbage we've seen since forever...
The people that say this nonsense about our past is no longer relevant are simply people who have accepted what we are and don't wanna be reminded what our standard should be if it wasn't ruined by bringing in inferior staff all throughout the athletics program. From top to bottom things are simply broke with us... Simple

Advertisement
Back