Matt Doherty on Diaz per Miami Herald

We had so much talent Larry Coker had the team on cruise control. Jimmy Johnson is known for his talent evaluation and brought in most of the talent. Butch just used someone else's methods but he didn't perfect them

Advertisement
e69b2583a762ffd4d4a59582f1cf4fda.jpg

+100000

Wicked clever on catching my pop culture reference.

Impressive.

It's a serious Question. I said butch is a solid coach but what puts him in Jimmy Johnson, Howard Schnellenberger.
It's not about just being a coach, it's about him orchestrating one of the most dominating runs in program/CFB history. That run you enjoyed from 2000-2003? All Butch. Sucks for him (and us) he left before enjoying the fruits of that labor but that Sears Trophy had little to do with f'n Coker. That 2001 NC is Butch's. The 2002 that should have been if not for a lame PI flag is also Butch's. So yea, he's in their category dude. And he resurrected the program to get it there with serious GD sanctions. He pulled in 2 classes full of future NFL HOF'ers while having the number of scholarships to give cut in HALF. Any other questions?

Advertisement
It’s amazing to think that if the Miami administration hadn’t fCked around with Butchs contract he wouldn’t have left and we’d be in double digits right now with NC....

Diaz also gets credit for starting the turnover prop revolution. Although the only cool ones besides ours is the chainsaw that one school has

Schnellenberger also spotted a certain pattern before it became a full blow trend, and it brought us a handful of championships

Manny's head is in the right place.

He's being proactive instead of reactive, which is what we haven't been doing for the last 15-16 years.

Advertisement
I also hope with all this that Diaz doesn't adopt the "If you turned us down the first go round', don't come back later trying to jump on the bandwagon" approach that Richt had. That's petty ****.

Hey man, **** happens. If a kid like Tyson Campbell in a year or two decides UGA is a racist $hithole and wants to come home and we have a need at CB..all is forgiven and you welcome him with open arms. (just using him as an example. Not trying to open any old wounds here.)

I said it in another thread, no permanent friends or permanent enemies in the recruiting game.

I have had this conversation before. It's Okay, all you are either my brother's or my neighbor's we don't all always get along. But, every time I have this discussion I get rude relative responses. I am willing to listen but this program has head great coaches. Not everyone fits on Mt. Rushmore. I'm not saying he sucks but he's regular with his Resumè. Butch's core fans make me feel like he's Napoleon Complexed. Defend him diplomatically

Attachments

• 13584143af164f18c86a8f4591ab3409.jpg
    13584143af164f18c86a8f4591ab3409.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 2
You found a picture of N.Y./NJ

I have had this conversation before. It's Okay, all you are either my brother's or my neighbor's we don't all always get along. But, every time I have this discussion I get rude relative responses. I am willing to listen but this program has head great coaches. Not everyone fits on Mt. Rushmore. I'm not saying he sucks but he's regular with his Resumè. Butch's core fans make me feel like he's Napoleon Complexed. Defend him diplomatically

#TNM

Advertisement
It's not about just being a coach, it's about him orchestrating one of the most dominating runs in program/CFB history. That run you enjoyed from 2000-2003? All Butch. Sucks for him (and us) he left before enjoying the fruits of that labor but that Sears Trophy had little to do with f'n Coker. That 2001 NC is Butch's. The 2002 that should have been if not for a lame PI flag is also Butch's. So yea, he's in their category dude. And he resurrected the program to get it there with serious GD sanctions. He pulled in 2 classes full of future NFL HOF'ers while having the number of scholarships to give cut in HALF. Any other questions?

I understand everything you just said, to me that's obvious being a Hurricane fan. What I'm saying is hes great but the blue print he used was done before. He thought he could recreate that Magic anywhere because he's "Butch Davis". Miami was his opportunity and I think he thought he was bigger than Miami. I understand wanting to better your career but i think he bit off more than he can chew. Alot of coaches have great runs but the great coaches stay great through generations.

Advertisement
Why do people praise Butch Davis soo much. Manny Diaz already passed him in the rafters. Butch is a solid coach but not in Jimmy Johnson status. Also Butch Left us for Cleveland, Now hes at FIU that's a great Career timeline

You say this, but you are wrong. You simply don't know all of the amazing things that Butch did to get us back on track. The system that he and Pete Garcia developed for tracking and evaluating recruits, before the rise of the internet, when you had to rely on conversations with coaches, administrators, and teachers to judge a kid. The many outside-the-box methods that Butch used to circumvent scholarship limitations (and which were subsequently outlawed or limited), such as signing a kid who had already spent several years playing minor league baseball, or putting a kid on a track scholarship, or figuring out how to get a kid an academic scholarship. Having the stones to fire Bill Miller and hire Greg Schiano.

Butch was amazing. He started with far less than JJ, Drunken Dennis, or Coker started with. I don't blame him for going to Cleveland. I'm sad that he ended up at UNC and FIU. He may be older now, but he is just as creative as Manny is when it comes to identifying talent and recruiting like a madman.

“The approach to transfer acquisitions — one thing that stood out to me about [Diaz] is he’s very keyed in on things that are patterns before they become full-blown trends,” Doherty told Joe Zagacki on Hurricane Hotline. “For years he’s been talking about this transfer landscape in college football is going to explode, become full-blown free agency. Sure enough you’ve seen that happen by the day … the fact we were prepared for that is a testament to coach Diaz.”
with no salary cap. Manny is making it happen I love it.

Hope he doesnt depend on it so much the way we have to cause of the previous misses by MR, hope he kills it next cycle just like hes doing the transfer thing. If thats any indication then he should be alright cause that was my concern, if we continue to miss and rely on transfers we wont reach where most fans want us too (titles/elite)

Really interested to see next cycle what he does if hes as relentless as he is now and if we droppin bags.

It's just sad that make yourself the center of this issue. That you focus on how people treat you.

You simply don't understand or have knowledge of what Butch did. I do. I was there at the time. What Butch accomplished is very similar to what Schnellenberger accomplished, in both substance and style. And, yes, JJ and Drunken Dennis and Coker played for more titles.

But anyone who doesn't put Butch ahead of Drunken Dennis and Coker simply doesn't understand all of the little things that Butch did (and big things too) to turn Miami around and to lay such a solid foundation that a journeyman assistant coach (Coker) could come within 1 bad penalty of back-to-back national championships.

Great coach. Top 3 at Miami, with Howard and JJ. Undisputed by anyone who was close to the program at the time.

And F the Board of Trustees.

Advertisement
Back