Mario Cristobal on Joe Rose 10/24

A few things that stood out (and I’m going to paraphrase)

Mario mentioned a couple of times that he and the staff left great jobs to come to Miami understanding the challenges turning the program around after years of ineptitude.

He believes he can turn the program into championship caliber.

Asked about player effort Sat, Mario said he didn’t see anybody laying down

Asked about the 8 turnovers and he mentioned Roosters fumble, KeyShawn’s fumble, and another as being mental lapses.

Asked about Jake’s play he said he made some good plays but obviously there were some Jake would like to have back.

No update on TVD’s status and it looks like no OL will return soon.

Always talks about returning to work and being real with the players and coaches.

Allow me to paraphrase your paraphrasing... "Coach-speak."

Advertisement
View attachment 212205 BRING ME THIS GUY, Mario.
Sheeeeeettttt, I would take this guy.

1666622751484.png

the funny part is It appears the team folded after we went up 21-17 (was watching the replay last night). after that 10 min drive of conversion after conversion (ooh guess how many times the QB just ran?).
It's pretty crazy to watch us come out both kickoffs looking like a real team only to revert back to the same old mistakes. There are some schematic mistakes but fumbling the ball and missed tackles are not technique issues at this point. There are players on this team that just don't have "it". Whatever it is.

Advertisement
It's pretty crazy to watch us come out both kickoffs looking like a real team only to revert back to the same old mistakes. There are some schematic mistakes but fumbling the ball and missed tackles are not technique issues at this point. There are players on this team that just don't have "it". Whatever it is.
id say missed tackles fall on coaching now. it fell on Manny when we had 100000 missed ones against GT and never improved. were seeing the same **** week after week w no progression. not even a slight change. its a failure by everyone in the building. none of them are worth the scholarship and their salaries

Advertisement
id say missed tackles fall on coaching now. it fell on Manny when we had 100000 missed ones against GT and never improved. were seeing the same **** week after week w no progression. not even a slight change. its a failure by everyone in the building. none of them are worth the scholarship and their salaries
Missed tackles (JW0 shoulder hits) fall on the coaches in that he is still on the field. I'm all for blaming coaches for getting out schemed but kids like James and Rooster need to be held accountable.

he didnt actually say they left good jobs to come here did he? thats ridiculous. he got paid 80 mill. **** him for that. hes not doing this for free
thats a bit better I guess but no one wants to hear that when you get blown out by duke at home lol
People will hear what they want to hear. Here is the contextualization of his answer which sounds much less damning than what some were hoping for.

TRANSCRIPT_01:
Joe Rose: "Mario I got to ask you when you took the job...is this thing where you thought it would be when you looked at the level of talent and everything around winning games"

Coach: "Well you never really know where exactly it's going to land. The truth is the truth. We left some really really good jobs that we had built into great jobs to come here and make sure that we build Miami into what it should be and fully knowing that it is a very large task due to some of the inadequacies from past years; like we get it. We're all about it, we knew it would come with lumps. We're okay with that. We're all about the work. The key to it is that you need tough minded people, man. You need tough minded people to coach it, to put it together, to deal with the lumps because that is what it takes. That is what it's always taken to rebuild places; especially places that have been at the top of the mountain. So, we're for all of it, we get it. We know what comes with it, we totally understand reality and we live in the world of reality we're for all of it and that's what we're doing and day by day we just keep going at it and working at it and making sure we're taking whatever steps necessary to keep building it the right way because we will be a championship football program. You just gotta have to have guts; you got to have the intestinal fortitude to get after it and not flinch.

TRANSCRIPT_02:
Joe Rose: "...what's the message to fans out there who are frustrated as you are with the season so far?"

Coach: "...the message is simple; the message has been consistent since day one. We left everything that we have been doing in all our careers to come to Miami because we love Miami and we know what Miami needs to be and should be--and also knowing that there was a very large task at hand and that it comes with the lumps. So, we're here for the lumps, we're here for whatever it takes and we're working at it, and you know what? Great days are ahead. We got to work through some of this stuff and the issues that we're currently going through to get there."

Advertisement
Here is a perfect example of why the problem is both players/coaches and not 1 absolute answer.

Gattis is at fault for these short yardage failures. We are playing our 9th/10th guys off the bench on the OL and still trying to run the ball into rugby scrums. How about scheming an easy throw with your qb who's been playing really well? Every time we motion a wr in to block the edge I think to myself "okay motion now throw him the ball in the flat".

Now players. Let's just acknowledge that these kids time and time again turn a papercut into a bleed out scenario. Whether it was the MTSU blown coverages after a turnover or in this game the back to back fumbles, when adversity hits, they just fold.
Our confidence is as stable as a house of cards. It's actually quite impressive how fragile it really is.

Missed tackles (JW0 shoulder hits) fall on the coaches in that he is still on the field. I'm all for blaming coaches for getting out schemed but kids like James and Rooster need to be held accountable.
agreed. ive said it for weeks now I think. if you are the hard *** why dont you hold the kids accountable w their playing time and not tough guy quotes. James still STARTS. Rooster is still getting snaps w 21 back over Stanley. idk where thad is lol.

This is why I can’t figure out the obsession with this type of stuff. People care about results and nothing said after changes that. Yes, it’s part of the job and you fulfill your obligations but it’s like polishing a ****.
Confirmation bias, anything said in a presser should be lightly skimmed over. When you're 3-4 though if he says up instead of down the executioners will be lined up.

Advertisement
It was. We lost the game right there, IMO. It's like we aren't good enough to change the outcome, once the momentum goes against us. Once things go bad, for whatever reason (coaching, scheme, play calls, talent, infighting, feeling sorry for ourselves, blind *** refs, whatever the fucc), it fuccin keeps going bad. Going forward, I would like to see that change. We got to be able to make big momentum changing plays, when **** go wrong.
We recovered from the slow start and went up 21-17 early in the 3rd quarter. It all went downhill form there. He never addressed the meltdown that occurred after we had the momentum in the game.

Advertisement
Back