Mario Cristobal on Joe Rose 10/24

Advertisement
Advertisement
I'm off the Mario wagon bc no UM team gets to lose to MTSU. However, he's staying on message with this being a process and not an overnight turnaround. That message hasn't changed. He's not going to ever please the fan base with these interview - not going to throw his coaches under the bus, not going to reveal anything important. It is what it is and like it or not he's here for close to 10 years. Suck it up! Oh, and lets get back to work!

Big thing I noticed was he kept talking about the "half a yard".

We were up 7-0 and driving..went for it on 4th and didn't get the half yard. A few plays later we've given up 3 turnovers and we're down 14-7 instead of up 14-0.

He said that quick sequence of events was a huge killer.
Here is a perfect example of why the problem is both players/coaches and not 1 absolute answer.

Gattis is at fault for these short yardage failures. We are playing our 9th/10th guys off the bench on the OL and still trying to run the ball into rugby scrums. How about scheming an easy throw with your qb who's been playing really well? Every time we motion a wr in to block the edge I think to myself "okay motion now throw him the ball in the flat".

Now players. Let's just acknowledge that these kids time and time again turn a papercut into a bleed out scenario. Whether it was the MTSU blown coverages after a turnover or in this game the back to back fumbles, when adversity hits, they just fold.

A few things that stood out (and I’m going to paraphrase)

Mario mentioned a couple of times that he and the staff left great jobs to come to Miami understanding the challenges turning the program around after years of ineptitude.

He believes he can turn the program into championship caliber.

Asked about player effort Sat, Mario said he didn’t see anybody laying down

Asked about the 8 turnovers and he mentioned Roosters fumble, KeyShawn’s fumble, and another as being mental lapses.

Asked about Jake’s play he said he made some good plays but obviously there were some Jake would like to have back.

No update on TVD’s status and it looks like no OL will return soon.

Always talks about returning to work and being real with the players and coaches.
In other words, nothing really new.

Since he saw no lack of effort, I guess Duke (and MTSU) just had superior talent.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Exactly! But notice HE DIDNT SAY, "We left jobs and opportunities that would have paid us more money then UM, but we took less money to come here and turn this around"...
he didnt actually say they left good jobs to come here did he? thats ridiculous. he got paid 80 mill. **** him for that. hes not doing this for free

Here is a perfect example of why the problem is both players/coaches and not 1 absolute answer.

Gattis is at fault for these short yardage failures. We are playing our 9th/10th guys off the bench on the OL and still trying to run the ball into rugby scrums. How about scheming an easy throw with your qb who's been playing really well? Every time we motion a wr in to block the edge I think to myself "okay motion now throw him the ball in the flat".

Now players. Let's just acknowledge that these kids time and time again turn a papercut into a bleed out scenario. Whether it was the MTSU blown coverages after a turnover or in this game the back to back fumbles, when adversity hits, they just fold.
the funny part is It appears the team folded after we went up 21-17 (was watching the replay last night). after that 10 min drive of conversion after conversion (ooh guess how many times the QB just ran?).

Advertisement
Big thing I noticed was he kept talking about the "half a yard".

We were up 7-0 and driving..went for it on 4th and didn't get the half yard. A few plays later we've given up 3 turnovers and we're down 14-7 instead of up 14-0.

He said that quick sequence of events was a huge killer.
Huge turn of events for sure. Now fix it

1666621931329.png
BRING ME THIS GUY, Mario.

Advertisement
Back