washington
cal
ucla
washington state
fresno state
montana
stonybrook
colorado

take ohio state out of the equation and add up their records. Only Two are above .500 and two of them have 4 wins between them both. Not gonna check montana and stony brook, i'm gonna leave stanford out too even tho that was a loss. Stanford is 3-7 for the record however.
Why are we leaving the road win at Ohio State out again?

Advertisement
For those bringing up Oregon's current ranking, similarities between this team and Miami's 2017 season under Richt are pretty evident.

Lots of charmed wins by a TD or less to inferior teams, a big win against a highly ranked opponent and a bad loss to a medicre team.

Imagine Miami in the ACC without a Clemson or UNC and with FSU and VT as they are right now. Also imagine being isolated from UGA, Bama, LSU, etc. and not having to recruit as much against them. We back, right?

When you talk about recruiting - USC and UCLA are down down. Before, even when they weren't good they were still recruiting at great to elite levels. USC has been looking for a coach it seems like every offseason the last few years so that can't help recruiting and UCLA with Kelly hasn't even been a factor. So the two major recruiting obstacles are basically out of the way on their own. Then you have UW which had a spark with Peterson that's now gone. Zona, OS, CU, etc. are Duke level. Basically, no competition. And the recruits not going to Oregon are generally leaving to other conferences making the talent disparity significant. Even with all that, every game is a struggle.

I keep seeing this, but Oregon never had a top 10 class ever in history before Mario got there. That Nike money that so many on here claim can buy the world has been there for decades. He is on the verge of his 3rd top 10 class in 5 cycles when they never had 1 prior to him according to the 247 rankings. Why is that? If the Nike money is the end all be all and the only reason he is doing so well? Why couldn’t others do what he is doing? I know what the rebuttal will be, and I agree with much of what the OP said and have stated several times that the man isn’t perfect, but I don’t question his recruiting at all. JMO
Mario learned how to put the money to work at Bama.. Not a knock, Mario has been an ace recruiter since Rutgers

Who on this board wouldn't be ecstatic to make the playoffs? All we want is to be at the table right now and then we can go from there!!

This dude really said “yeah Mario can get us to the playoffs, but what then!!?!??” WITH A STRAIGHT ******* FACE!!!!

Bro, 24 months ago we lost to ******* FIU! We just got beat by a 3-6 team. We’ve lost 7 of our last 12 games. Do you have any idea how out of my ever loving mind I would be if we sniffed the god**** playoff????

Advertisement
Both have failed and big name schools and got fired, Hugh was going to be fired no matter what with his **** poor seasons.

For the record I’d take both but they aren’t any better than Mario, they are all in the same bracket with the same concerns, except this is who you like.
I just like the recruiting along with the play calling

There’s bad and then there is bad. The PAC doesn’t have 1 formidable foe to challenge. At least the other conferences has a roadblock or 2.

Do you think Oregon is really the 4th best team in the country?
Yes, but I think the 4-10 are all pretty much the same. I think they have one of the better rosters out of 4-10 but it’s a toss up. They aren’t Bama, Georgia

I’m personally not a huge Mario fan

Still end of the day it’s hard to ignore he’s doing a really nice job at Oregon

I don’t want to fall in love with the idea that “anyone is better than Manny” and just be happy with that

I think targeting one coach is a really stupid thing to go unless it was someone absolutely elite

Still, if that’s our choice I’m not going to complain

I completely agree, being better than Manny is like a perfume smelling better than dog shhhh...

As for Mario, I dont know how high his ceiling would be at UM, but I know he has a relatively high floor. But I do have some concerns about him too.

But I'll say this again, if we dont get a brand name guy, Miami has to find their version of Sam Pittman (a guy who just fits the culture, the program and is a real solid coach)

For those bringing up Oregon's current ranking, similarities between this team and Miami's 2017 season under Richt are pretty evident.

Lots of charmed wins by a TD or less to inferior teams, a big win against a highly ranked opponent and a bad loss to a medicre team.
They got completely hosed in that Stanford game and had to play without their OC.

Advertisement
Mario offers a gigantic discernible advantage. Probably the single biggest discernible advantage.

He can recruit his ******* balls off. He can evaluate and land elite talent. It is the singular most important aspect of a head coach in college football. Yes, we’ve done less with more forever here. But we’ve hired complete losers for Head Coaches and lost out on the vast, vast, vast majority of the elite local talent. Y’all really think UGA is so good this year because of Kirby’s defensive specialty?? LMAOOOOOO. Sorry to break it to you guys, it’s the 1700 five-stars he has.

You guys realize that a kid had more TFLs on Saturday against us than any player in the history of the Miami/FSU rivalry? His name is Jermaine Johnson. He was arguably the single best player on the football field. Wanna know why he’s at FSU? Let this one sink in. HE COULDN’T EVEN GET ON THE FIELD AT UGA. In a Miami/FSU game, the game that used to have the MOST talent in the country, the best player was a kid who couldn’t even sniff the field at UGA. But yeah, it’s Kirby’s superior scheme LOL. We need an elite X’s and O’s guy immediately.
Randy Shannon, Al Golden and Mark Richt have all had top 10 classes, Diaz was ranked 11 last year. A competent coach here should have no problems stringing together top 10-ish classes. But talent only gets you so far. Eventually you'll need to out x's and o's the other team.

Kids cared about his personality more than this God sent Nike money that backed him and being in the national championship race year after year?

Is there anything that can be done/said to make you believe that maybe he is just legitimate at recruiting? Lol

people hate chip, I don't know what you want to hear in this regard? You ain't pulling top 5 classes if people hate you. Dan mullen is a prime example of this, uf should be top 5 in recruiting with the way he can call plays. They're in the bag game as well, but it doesn't matter cuz mullen is mullen.

I'm just skeptical is all anyways, the fact he drops a game he shouldn't is enough to produce nightmares for me.

He can out-talent the Coastal, maybe the Atlantic too with how Clemson looks right now, but what about in the playoffs versus Oklahoma, UGA, Bama or Ohio State? What if we're on equal footing, or at a talent disadvantage . What can Mario do for us then? He's gonna rah rah us to an upset? Because he's definitely not gonna out-scheme anyone.
Can we win the ******* conference first? JFC, you cats are worrying whether he can out scheme a Georgia or Alabama in a title game.

Advertisement
I kind of have been leaning this way....bring me a freeze or Herman who recruit at an elite clip and coach both sides of the ball.

I like Herman, but one of my concerns with Him is do elite QBs want to play in His system. All I've ever seen Him coach are glorified WRs & TEs at QB. That's my concern with Mario too after TVD & Garcia leave.

Mario in December 2018 was mostly just a Miami guy and a recruiter.

Mario in 2021 is the coach of a Top 5 team, with a Top 5 finish on the resume and two conference titles.

It’s a different situation now. If we get Mario, the national reaction will be “How did they pull that off?”

Advertisement
The Pac-12 is the WORST P5 conference in college football.

Oregon is 9-1, which is great, but lets take a look at the rest of conference:

Utah - 7-3
Arizona St - 7-3
UCLA - 6-4
Oregon St - 6-4
WAZZU - 5-5
USC - 4-5
Washington - 4-6
Cal - 3-6
Colorado - 3-7
Stanford - 3-7
Arizona - 1-9

The ACC isn’t much better I know, but Wake, Pitt, Clemson, NC St & UVA would dogwalk the Pac-12.

**** even Miami for as bad as we are would walk all through that conference with Lashlee as an interim.
(With Diaz as HC we’d probably be 3-7 in the Pac lol)

people hate chip, I don't know what you want to hear in this regard? You ain't pulling top 5 classes if people hate you. Dan mullen is a prime example of this, uf should be top 5 in recruiting with the way he can call plays. They're in the bag game as well, but it doesn't matter cuz mullen is mullen.

I'm just skeptical is all anyways, the fact he drops a game he shouldn't is enough to produce nightmares for me.

Fair enough and understood. Unfortunately today in CFB, dropping a game you aren’t supposed to happens to everyone, literally. If the man goes 11-1 in the regular season, wins the conference and gets to the playoffs...that 1 OT Loss to a conference opponent won’t overshadow the phenomenal season that they had otherwise. Their season isn’t over though obviously. @ Utah and Oregon State won’t be easy so I guess we’ll see.

Advertisement
Back