Mario Cristobal offers no discernable advantage

I keep seeing this, but Oregon never had a top 10 class ever in history before Mario got there. That Nike money that so many on here claim can buy the world has been there for decades. He is on the verge of his 3rd top 10 class in 5 cycles when they never had 1 prior to him according to the 247 rankings. Why is that? If the Nike money is the end all be all and the only reason he is doing so well? Why couldn’t others do what he is doing? I know what the rebuttal will be, and I agree with much of what the OP said and have stated several times that the man isn’t perfect, but I don’t question his recruiting at all. JMO
The previous coaches before him never put a major emphasis on recruiting, particularly Chip Kelly & Helfrich, they only ever cared about finding guys that fit their scheme... Their whole M/O was to beat you with schematic advantage & execution, Mario wants to beat you with physicality & talent, it’s two different approaches.

Also Oregon recently increased their recruiting budget once Mario got there, they spend $1.25mill a year on recruiting budget, which is top 15 in spending, actually they are right at 12 or 13 in spending in the nation.

When people reference “Nike money”, they’re talking about the encompassing whole of their program, like how they just invested $270 million in renovating their stadium & upgrading their facilities, plus the way they’re always in the lab coming up with 1,000 new uni’s for them lol.

No one means or is saying that Nike is handing brown paper bags of cash to recruits, but what is meant is that, due to the close connection of Nike with the Oregon program they have a strong infrastructure of support. None of that may mean anything if Mario decides to come to Miami, but the point is, is that there’s something there, as opposed to Miami where it’s a free-for-all & we essentially are swinging in the dark as a program.

As far as Mario as a recruiter I think he’s pretty good, what I’m skeptical of is the assumptions that get made when people put together their dream scenarios of what will happen when he gets here. On the surface recruiting at Miami should be the easiest job in the world, but the reality is, it’s actually one of/if not the hardest. Maybe if he comes here the floodgates will open & all the local 4/5-stars will stay home, but I have my doubts about that.

I honestly don’t think Miami will ever again secure multiple top 5 classes until we without doubt play in multiple ACC titles games back to back & possibly even crack the playoffs, which realistically speaking may not happen for a very very long time lol.

Advertisement
chip isn't exactly a people person, that's your answer

Kids cared about his personality more than this God sent Nike money that backed him and being in the national championship race year after year?

Is there anything that can be done/said to make you believe that maybe he is just legitimate at recruiting? Lol

Dude this entire board was giddy with pastor richt coming down due to his "great recruiting"
He can out-talent the Coastal, maybe the Atlantic too with how Clemson looks right now, but what about in the playoffs versus Oklahoma, UGA, Bama or Ohio State? What if we're on equal footing, or at a talent disadvantage . What can Mario do for us then? He's gonna rah rah us to an upset? Because he's definitely not gonna out-scheme anyone.
Man if Mario (as an example) is getting us to the playoffs and more than 1 year I’m okay with trying to figure it out. You think Kirby is a good game day coach? He’s not either is Dabo.

Then how is he ranked #3 in the nation?

washington
cal
ucla
washington state
fresno state
montana
stonybrook
colorado

take ohio state out of the equation and add up their records. Only Two are above .500 and two of them have 4 wins between them both. Not gonna check montana and stony brook, i'm gonna leave stanford out too even tho that was a loss. Stanford is 3-7 for the record however.

Advertisement
washington
cal
ucla
washington state
fresno state
montana
stonybrook
colorado

take ohio state out of the equation and add up their records. Only Two are above .500 and two of them have 4 wins between them both. Not gonna check montana and stony brook, i'm gonna leave stanford out too even tho that was a loss. Stanford is 3-7 for the record however.
You can’t do that, you can’t take Ohio State out of the equation, that’s not how it works.

If Mario is the choice I just don’t see that happening unfortunately

Feels like we are just going to move the world for him

Which I think is where this thread is coming from

I don’t think anyone is saying what he’s done at Oregon isn’t impressive but it’s that it’s him or bust which may work out great but it’s a little uncomfortable for us

He can out-talent the Coastal, maybe the Atlantic too with how Clemson looks right now, but what about in the playoffs versus Oklahoma, UGA, Bama or Ohio State? What if we're on equal footing, or at a talent disadvantage . What can Mario do for us then? He's gonna rah rah us to an upset? Because he's definitely not gonna out-scheme anyone.
We need to get back to that point… we are two decades removed from being a national title contender…

You don’t know erase all that in a year… we need some sustained success and a little luck with a good group of players.

Advertisement
The previous coaches before him never put a major emphasis on recruiting, particularly Chip Kelly & Helfrich, they only ever cared about finding guys that fit their scheme... Their whole M/O was to beat you with schematic advantage & execution, Mario wants to beat you with physicality & talent, it’s two different approaches.

Also Oregon recently increased their recruiting budget once Mario got there, they spend $1.25mill a year on recruiting budget, which is top 15 in spending, actually they are right at 12 or 13 in spending in the nation.

When people reference “Nike money”, they’re talking about the encompassing whole of their program, like how they just invested $270 million in renovating their new stadium & upgrading their facilities, plus the way they’re always in the lab coming up with 1,000 new uni’s for them lol.

No one means or is saying that Nike is handing brown paper bags of cash to recruits, but what is meant is that, due to the close connection of Nike with the Oregon program they have a strong infrastructure of support.

None of that may mean anything if Mario decides to come to Miami, but the point is, is that there’s something there, as opposed to Miami where it’s a free-for-all & we essentially are swinging in the dark as a program.

As far as Mario as a recruiter I think he’s pretty good, what I’m skeptical of is the assumptions that get made when people put together their dream scenarios of what will happen when he gets here. On the surface recruiting at Miami should be the easiest job in the world, but the reality is, it’s actually one of/if not the hardest. Maybe if he comes here the floodgates will open & all the local 4/5-stars will stay home, but I have my doubts about that.

I honestly don’t think Miami will ever again secure multiple top 5 classes until we without doubt play in multiple ACC titles games back to back & possibly even crack the playoffs, which realistically speaking may not happen for a very very long time lol.

I’m with you. My consistent “Nike money” reference is just a jab, I know they aren’t handing out paper bags UT style lol. Point made though and appreciate you giving an informative response per usual. I think this is all moot and just good conversation cause I don’t think the man is coming but if he does, will make for some elite bumps in 4-5 years either way.

Advertisement
Mario offers a gigantic discernible advantage. Probably the single biggest discernible advantage.

He can recruit his ******* balls off. He can evaluate and land elite talent. It is the singular most important aspect of a head coach in college football. Yes, we’ve done less with more forever here. But we’ve hired complete losers for Head Coaches and lost out on the vast, vast, vast majority of the elite local talent. Y’all really think UGA is so good this year because of Kirby’s defensive specialty?? LMAOOOOOO. Sorry to break it to you guys, it’s the 1700 five-stars he has.

You guys realize that a kid had more TFLs on Saturday against us than any player in the history of the Miami/FSU rivalry? His name is Jermaine Johnson. He was arguably the single best player on the football field. Wanna know why he’s at FSU? Let this one sink in. HE COULDN’T EVEN GET ON THE FIELD AT UGA. In a Miami/FSU game, the game that used to have the MOST talent in the country, the best player was a kid who couldn’t even sniff the field at UGA. But yeah, it’s Kirby’s superior scheme LOL. We need an elite X’s and O’s guy immediately.

I kind of have been leaning this way....bring me a freeze or Herman who recruit at an elite clip and coach both sides of the ball.
Both have failed and big name schools and got fired, Hugh was going to be fired no matter what with his **** poor seasons.

For the record I’d take both but they aren’t any better than Mario, they are all in the same bracket with the same concerns, except this is who you like.

I know a majority of this board has an unhealthy obsession with bringing alumni home to save the program, but Mario is not what we need. He offers no tangible advantage for this program.

I hear everybody say, he'll fix the OL like he's the only person in the country that can recruit good o-linemen. The truth is, people say that about him because that's all he truly brings to the table. He has no system that

Fans will also talk about his recruiting. It's true; he's killing it right now, but we've seen time and time again that you need more than good players to win games. We've seen watched Miami for over a decade continually lose to lesser talented teams because of coaching ineptitude. Talent only gets you so far. L to Stanford this year, L's to Oregon State and Cal last year. Also, lets face it, he's taking advantage of an extremely down conference right now--USC, UCLA and Washington are all shells of themselves and he's feasting on the west coast. That wouldn't happen recruiting the southeast. He'd have to go up against Bama, UGA, Clemson, Ohio State etc. for recruits.

How about discipline? A hard-nosed guy like Mario must have a disciplined team. Nope. Oregon's currently sitting at 114th in the country in penalty yards per game--exactly one spot in front of your Miami Hurricanes.

How about offense? Mario has to have great offenses, right? Him being an offensive guy and all. 32nd ranked offense in the nation. For reference Miami is ranked 28th. His offense isn't bad, but it's consistently been underwhelming. The narrative regarding Justin Herbert and his time at Oregon was that the offense failed him. He was used incorrectly and it failed to showcase his talents. Mario has no offensive system so he'd need to make the correct hire there. We'd also have to hope he doesn't hamstring that OC either by playing a conservative style of football.

Mario would need the perfect OC and DC hires to succeed because he offers no schematic advantage on either side of the ball. He's your classic CEO type head coach. Think about all the top coaches in the country right now. All of them have a calling card on one side of the ball or the other. Saban on D, Kirby on D, Day on offense, Riley on offense, Gundy on offense etc. I could go on and on. Mario is not guru on either side of the ball which means he'd need big money coordinators to succeed here, and that scares me. That's why I'm all in on guys like Lane Kiffin or Hugh Freeze. At least you know with them one side of the ball will be taken care of.
Anticipation Popcorn GIF

Advertisement
Who on this board wouldn't be ecstatic to make the playoffs? All we want is to be at the table right now and then we can go from there!!

If Mario is the choice I just don’t see that happening unfortunately

Feels like we are just going to move the world for him

Which I think is where this thread is coming from

I don’t think anyone is saying what he’s done at Oregon isn’t impressive but it’s that it’s him or bust which may work out great but it’s a little uncomfortable for us

Well that’s the thing. Sounds like a contradiction to me, lol. We can’t let an AD conduct a proper search if we are telling him who he has to go after and must land or have an agreement with Mario/coach before we get an AD. Get the guy in here and let him do his job. Can’t have both. I doubt a legit AD is going to come here and immediately get told who he has to go after/hire. What’s the point? I guess we’ll see.

Advertisement
Back