Mario Cristobal offers no discernable advantage

whether you’re Mario, lane, freeze whatever..I’m just glad our manny nightmare is almost over and we can have these discussions..there’s no saban or urban but there’s actually several legit coaching hires this time that can have us ******* up the coastal at a bare minimum.
No urban?

Advertisement
I know a majority of this board has an unhealthy obsession with bringing alumni home to save the program, but Mario is not what we need. He offers no tangible advantage for this program.

I hear everybody say, he'll fix the OL like he's the only person in the country that can recruit good o-linemen. The truth is, people say that about him because that's all he truly brings to the table. He has no system that

Fans will also talk about his recruiting. It's true; he's killing it right now, but we've seen time and time again that you need more than good players to win games. We've seen watched Miami for over a decade continually lose to lesser talented teams because of coaching ineptitude. Talent only gets you so far. L to Stanford this year, L's to Oregon State and Cal last year. Also, lets face it, he's taking advantage of an extremely down conference right now--USC, UCLA and Washington are all shells of themselves and he's feasting on the west coast. That wouldn't happen recruiting the southeast. He'd have to go up against Bama, UGA, Clemson, Ohio State etc. for recruits.

How about discipline? A hard-nosed guy like Mario must have a disciplined team. Nope. Oregon's currently sitting at 114th in the country in penalty yards per game--exactly one spot in front of your Miami Hurricanes.

How about offense? Mario has to have great offenses, right? Him being an offensive guy and all. 32nd ranked offense in the nation. For reference Miami is ranked 28th. His offense isn't bad, but it's consistently been underwhelming. The narrative regarding Justin Herbert and his time at Oregon was that the offense failed him. He was used incorrectly and it failed to showcase his talents. Mario has no offensive system so he'd need to make the correct hire there. We'd also have to hope he doesn't hamstring that OC either by playing a conservative style of football.

Mario would need the perfect OC and DC hires to succeed because he offers no schematic advantage on either side of the ball. He's your classic CEO type head coach. Think about all the top coaches in the country right now. All of them have a calling card on one side of the ball or the other. Saban on D, Kirby on D, Day on offense, Riley on offense, Gundy on offense etc. I could go on and on. Mario is not guru on either side of the ball which means he'd need big money coordinators to succeed here, and that scares me. That's why I'm all in on guys like Lane Kiffin or Hugh Freeze. At least you know with them one side of the ball will be taken care of.
The thing is we aren’t going to get any of the Top 4 or 5 coaches in the country, Saban, Kirby, Dabo, Lincoln, Brian Kelly, Day. Oregon is #3 in the country so Mario has to be doing something correct. Right? He’s one of our best options being Miami. I personally am obsessed because he recruits amazing, he’s a no BS guy but kids still enjoy them, he’s been under Saban so he knows how a program should be ran.

To me discipline isn’t In Game penalties because we’ve always got lots of penalties discipline is everything to happens when we aren’t playing, controlling the program.

He has flaws but if he didn’t we would have zero chance. He will make us a better team, not sure how many Oregon games you’ve watched but they just look bigger.

I’m In the ball park of if we hire Mario, Lane, Stoops or a bigger name guy I’ll shut up and be patient, In hopes we will get another chance at a title, the problem is we haven’t done this a lot if at all lately with our coaching hires.

I keep seeing this, but Oregon never had a top 10 class ever in history before Mario got there. That Nike money that so many on here claim can buy the world has been there for decades. He is on the verge of his 3rd top 10 class in 5 cycles when they never had 1 prior to him according to the 247 rankings. Why is that? If the Nike money is the end all be all and the only reason he is doing so well? Why couldn’t others do what he is doing? I know what the rebuttal will be, and I agree with much of what the OP said and have stated several times that the man isn’t perfect, but I don’t question his recruiting at all. JMO

chip isn't exactly a people person, that's your answer

OP spewing a lethal amount of truth here.

One of my issues with Luigi is that I just don't know what his physical presence in the stadium adds on actual gameday and that's personally a major issue.

The debate around here about other facets of the job between him and Kiffin is going to be interesting and people will absolutely be able to make valid cases for Cristobal in those areas.

I'd just ask this- if you're in a big game and the score is tied at halftime then who would you trust more to win that game if all things are equal?

I'd absolutely LOVE if we could simply "out-talent" every opponent due to Cristobal's recruiting prowess but I'm not sure if that prowess lasts forever and I think that mindset has a ceiling that probably doesn't involve national championships.

Oh I agree. It's a matter of choosing the coach with the least amount of question marks.

I just feel like Mario's lack of a "calling card" leaves too many variables that need to fall into place for him to be successful at the highest level.
With this thought process Butch wouldn’t have worked here. And Butch build the greatest roster of all time.

Advertisement
OP spewing a lethal amount of truth here.

One of my issues with Luigi is that I just don't know what his physical presence in the stadium adds on actual gameday and that's personally a major issue.

The debate around here about other facets of the job between him and Kiffin is going to be interesting and people will absolutely be able to make valid cases for Cristobal in those areas.

I'd just ask this- if you're in a big game and the score is tied at halftime then who would you trust more to win that game if all things are equal?

I'd absolutely LOVE if we could simply "out-talent" every opponent due to Cristobal's recruiting prowess but I'm not sure if that prowess lasts forever and I think that mindset has a ceiling that probably doesn't involve national championships.
Then how is he ranked #3 in the nation?

you make good points. My criticism of Mario has always been that he needs to surround himself with a good OC and a good DC. Hes also a former OL and those guys tend to want to build physical teams. He’s a recruiting monster and knows how to build teams. He’s also shown he can hire pretty decent coordinators. He hired Collins and satterwhite at FIU and Moorhead is a solid OC. I think Mario can hire a very good staff and while he may not knock out of the park his coordinator hires, I don’t think he’d mess it up - he’s shown he knows how to hire.

Good point about penalties and I’m not so sure what to make of that. But, that same thing gives me pause on Kiffin - his defenses are bad and his teams are often the most penalized out there. There’s no perfect candidate but Mario is a pretty **** good one.

Edit: just looked up ole miss and they are almost dead last in penalties lol. And fwiw, I’m a fan of his
He'll recruit like Butch did and the talent will overwhelm the Coastal he's exactly what we need right now he can also hire good coordinators because he has time put in!

Advertisement
The thing is we aren’t going to get any of the Top 4 or 5 coaches in the country, Saban, Kirby, Dabo, Lincoln, Brian Kelly, Day. Oregon is #3 in the country so Mario has to be doing something correct. Right? He’s one of our best options being Miami. I personally am obsessed because he recruits amazing, he’s a no BS guy but kids still enjoy them, he’s been under Saban so he knows how a program should be ran.

To me discipline isn’t In Game penalties because we’ve always got lots of penalties discipline is everything to happens when we aren’t playing, controlling the program.

He has flaws but if he didn’t we would have zero chance. He will make us a better team, not sure how many Oregon games you’ve watched but they just look bigger.

I’m In the ball park of if we hire Mario, Lane, Stoops or a bigger name guy I’ll shut up and be patient, In hopes we will get another chance at a title, the problem is we haven’t done this a lot if at all lately with our coaching hires.
"I’ll shut up and be patient"

This.

With this thought process Butch wouldn’t have worked here. And Butch build the greatest roster of all time.
No one questions his roster building, but everybody knows his gameday coaching was a liability and the reason Miami only won in 2001 (without Butch).

Richt was not known as an elite recruiter and he struggles his last 3 to 4 years at UGA. Problem was Reverend Mark would not play the bag game. Kirby on the otherhand.

Dude this entire board was giddy with pastor richt coming down due to his "great recruiting"

For those throwing out the ranking, please tell us what he’s doing, because we’re trying to figure out what we are missing and compare him to others.

Advertisement
No one questions his roster building, but everybody knows his gameday coaching was a liability and the reason Miami only won in 2001 (without Butch).
A clown could have coached the 2001 team and won a title, Butch was better than Coker.

I don’t think Mario is the only option so I’m open to discussion and hearing others opinion. Who would your choice be?

I think I trust him most to change the culture of the program. I think after what I have seen the last 20 years this team needs a disciplinarian who will preach accountability. I also think O Line is probably the toughest position to develop nationally ***and definitely for a team from south Florida without much HS O Line talent to go around***. I do not think that point can be ignored.

Advertisement
He'll recruit like Butch did and the talent will overwhelm the Coastal he's exactly what we need right now he can also hire good coordinators because he has time put in!
He can out-talent the Coastal, maybe the Atlantic too with how Clemson looks right now, but what about in the playoffs versus Oklahoma, UGA, Bama or Ohio State? What if we're on equal footing, or at a talent disadvantage . What can Mario do for us then? He's gonna rah rah us to an upset? Because he's definitely not gonna out-scheme anyone.

I agree he shouldn't be the first choice is but I disagree on discernable advantage. He's an upgrade in recruiting. He seems to do very well connecting with HS kids and getting them to rally around him. He'd also be an upgrade as a gameday coach.

I would tolerate the hire if Kiffin and Leach told us to kick rocks first and he hired a pretty good OC. I'd even be ok with keeping Lashlee.

The problem is I can't see him fielding a team in the national title. Under him, I see regular conference contention but also a dumb loss or two every season to teams we have no reason playing down to. Possible playoff runs spoiled by a 6-6 GT team or something every year.

Advertisement
Back