Manny on the CB position

Couch is the prototypical South Florida CB (and WR) that we should be bringing in every class. The fact we pushed out Tim Burns, who is smaller but even quicker than Couch, is absurd. Given Diaz's Miami DNA, the fact he doesn't see this is flabbergasting. Make a local talent scout like Duasso the recruiting coordinator and we'd be 10x better off.
Recruiting coordinators take the lead from the head coach. If they didn't, they won't remain recruiting coordinator s very long.

Advertisement
Couch is the prototypical South Florida CB (and WR) that we should be bringing in every class. The fact we pushed out Tim Burns, who is smaller but even quicker than Couch, is absurd. Given Diaz's Miami DNA, the fact he doesn't see this is flabbergasting. Make a local talent scout like Duasso the recruiting coordinator and we'd be 10x better off.
Not defending anybody but if Burns is so good why his only option is fl atlantic.

He must be a devout idiot if he doesn't value CB. There's not a defense in the world that can excel with slugs at CB. There's a lot more to playing CB than just being a tackler.

Look no further than the Dolphins.

They were putrid last year on D. They bring in a couple DE/OLBs to rush the passer, bring in Jones to pair with a healthier Howard.....things start to click.

CBs are critical in today's spread game. If you can single up coverage on the outside, you don't have to keep playing playing safeties 12 yards off the ball dropping on the snap and being eliminated from run support. You can keep more guys in the box and have more guys free to blitz.

If you pick the right one ...

Unfortunately I think that ship has sailed brotha. There is an astronomical difference between coastal division contender & NC contender. The steps & process required to bridge that divide are imo outside the realm of possibility and unachievable for this university. I think the ceiling for this program is a coastal division championship & NY6 bowl game. So called fans need to accept this reality, so the negativity & toxicity circulating around the program can get quelled

Last edited:
Advertisement
Unfortunately I think that ship has sailed brotha. There is an astronomical difference between coastal division contender & NC contender. The steps & process required to bridge that divide are imo outside the realm of possibility and unachievable for this university. I think the ceiling for this program is a coastal division championship & NY6 bowl game. So called fans need to accept this reality, so the negativity & toxicity circulating around the program can get quelled
Funny I keep hearing that. I heard it in 95. But in 95 we selected the right coach. I heard it in 76. In 76, we had the right administrative support.

Those are the only two things we're missing.

Last edited:
Advertisement
When you sign 0 corners you've left yourself little leeway. LOL at Mabo talking about needing 8 CBs while having 4 on the roster and none committed.
This situation has gotten to the point of being downright bizarre. There is really no way to logically explain the type of negligence and incompetence we are witnessing here. In a day and age in college football where offenses are exploding on the scoreboard and high powered passing attacks are becoming the norm, how a program like UM given the athletes available locally and a 7-1 record can manage to have 0 CB recruits committed 4 weeks before early signing day when there is only 4 or 5 on the roster is mind boggling.

You wanna know how I know blue-chip CBs are so valuable? What's the main position that the KKK bag schools come down here with the big gravy to poach? The one position they're always fleecing us for down here is CB.
I'd argue that's WR, but yes CB is a close second.

I BEEN knew this ...the first thing that flies out of his mouth when speaking on cbs is...TACKLING. That alone let me know what he thought of the spot. They also recruit the position like they dont care either so we have that as well. Were bringing in some beastly safeties in back to back classes so that is very important to him.
I'll be honest, the willingness to tackle for a CB is the #1 consideration I have when looking at one.

Granted it's how I sift through the dozens and dozens of Draft prospects and its the thing that rules them off the list. Then I look at coverage traits etc.

Advertisement
Look no further than the Dolphins.

They were putrid last year on D. They bring in a couple DE/OLBs to rush the passer, bring in Jones to pair with a healthier Howard.....things start to click.

CBs are critical in today's spread game. If you can single up coverage on the outside, you don't have to keep playing playing safeties 12 yards off the ball dropping on the snap and being eliminated from run support. You can keep more guys in the box and have more guys free to blitz.
As a Dolphin's fan I love watching their new defense.
Josh Boyer sends the fvckin house!

I'll be honest, the willingness to tackle for a CB is the #1 consideration I have when looking at one.

Granted it's how I sift through the dozens and dozens of Draft prospects and its the thing that rules them off the list. Then I look at coverage traits etc.
I got 10 other guys on defense that can tackle. Finding guys that can cover is rare.

How often does your CB have to tackle in space versus how often does he have to cover in space?

Advertisement
I got 10 other guys on defense that can tackle. Finding guys that can cover is rare.

How often does your CB have to tackle in space versus how often does he have to cover in space?
Tackling in space? Against the Spread, quite often.

I'm not saying I want him to be the best tackler on defence, but he has to be able to tackle well - or at least be willing to tackle.

Currently Blades, for example, is a negative on the defence because he can't or won't tackle.

Tackling in space? Against the Spread, quite often.

I'm not saying I want him to be the best tackler on defence, but he has to be able to tackle well - or at least be willing to tackle.

Currently Blades, for example, is a negative on the defence because he can't or won't tackle.
Agree.

Advertisement
Back