Manny on the CB position

Advertisement
He must be a devout idiot if he doesn't value CB. There's not a defense in the world that can excel with slugs at CB. There's a lot more to playing CB than just being a tackler.

He’s never personally developed an elite CB in his life - yet he keeps overruling CB targets in our backyard. I personally think this is intentional.

We need true cover corners. Almost everyone on our defense sucks at tackling. So taking the stance that a corner has to be an extremely good tackler first is ridiculous - we aren’t fundamentally sound to begin with and it’s not going to help us if we have corners that can’t cover.

Normally have 7? Is that only normal w Rumph recruiting? I thought most top programs normal is to have 9-10. If I’m wrong, what is normal?

Alabama lists 21 DB's as they dont differentiate between them on the roster, Miami lists 16 Safeties and CBs

There are more WRs, and we've done a good job getting guys we've targeted. CBs? The blue-chippers have been getting snatched up by the KKK since Patrick Johnson's leech handlers set the price.
The issue is we aren’t even talking about elite CBs, Rump and Manny can barely get enough bodies to field a team.

how Rumph and Manny have handled the recruiting board is on par with Richt Jr. only recruiting the Oregon QB the entire cycle. It’s like if Wisconsin was forced to go to Arizona to find OL

The issue is we aren’t even talking about elite CBs, Rump and Manny can barely get enough bodies to field a team.

how Rumph and Manny have handled the recruiting board is on par with Richt Jr. only recruiting the Oregon QB the entire cycle. It’s like if Wisconsin was forced to go to Arizona to find OL
I agree. Give me a CB room full of Tecoury Couches and I'm ecstatic. He wasn't a 5 star super blue-chipper, but we can win NCs with 8 CBs like that.

Advertisement
That Rakestraw kid was a day 1 starter at Mizzou. Gonna be harder to find those late bloomers now but they do exist.

The situation is really bad right now but it's not time to panic yet.

I agree CB is the most important position besides QB rn but schools like Iowa are putting CB's into the NFL. Development is still key. If we had a real DB coach we'd be able to take these 3 & 4* kids & make them into something.

I agree. Give me a CB room full of Tecoury Couches and I'm ecstatic. He wasn't a 5 star super blue-chipper, but we can win NCs with 8 CBs like that.

Couch is the prototypical South Florida CB (and WR) that we should be bringing in every class. The fact we pushed out Tim Burns, who is smaller but even quicker than Couch, is absurd. Given Diaz's Miami DNA, the fact he doesn't see this is flabbergasting. Make a local talent scout like Duasso the recruiting coordinator and we'd be 10x better off.

Agreed.

What I still can’t understand, and it ****es me off, you can clearly see the organization and strategy in recruiting the DL, specifically DEs.

why Miami has zero strategy and a Jay Cutler like apathetic approach to recruiting CBs will burn us. Maybe not this year, maybe next year, who knows, but the lack of depth and talent will catch up to us at

Advertisement
Super easy to win at. You have limited resources relative to the big state schools, have higher academic requirements for enrollment than said schools, are constantly in competition for local talent against half the world, have expectations as high or higher than any program on earth, have the most vocal alumni base, have a bunch of primadonna kids who think they're God's gift to football playing games with every staff they come into contact with, and half of them have some kind of handler/wannabe agent. Then, you have all the media focus and distractions of a huge city.

To compound all that, you have the most entitled fanbase on earth. The vast majority of whom have never done anything, at all, for the University, but somehow think they're entitled to an opinion as to how the University operates, and collectively think the football team is bigger than the academic institution.

I couldn't fathom an easier place to win at.

You definitely, definitely will never understand it if you think Miami is so easy to win at.

post of the month. ****, maybe post of the season.

although we do have resources, a lot of good ones. what we don't have, as you noted, is a state legislature to bail us out and divert money from useless endeavors like health care or education, and instead put those funds to better use like a having a couple more offensive analysts for the football team, a shiny new locker room, or a big buyout to clear the way for the next head coach.

and while we have prominent and successful alumni and fans, we lack a developed bag network, given that the identity and self worth of the average UM booster/alum is not wholly and exclusively dependent upon the success or brand of the football team.

so put that together, and yes, UM is a just a super easy place to win.

He must be a devout idiot if he doesn't value CB. There's not a defense in the world that can excel with slugs at CB. There's a lot more to playing CB than just being a tackler.
Corners, coach diaz said who needs all those corners, he's revolutionized the amount of corners needed to carry on a roster by him and his boy going to the zone-blitz, see ivey covering 2 guys on that last gilbert frierson sack!

Advertisement
This CB situation starting to smell like when we had punters playing WR...
This is back when it was verified those clowns were actually reading message boards, I was the 1st one who brought that up way before it happened, and kept bring it up, they waisted that man's talent, he was never going nowhere as a punter!

It’s not a mistake putting your better athletes with ball skills in your secondary. There always value in that. I get the allure of offense but u need that type of athlete in the backend as well. I think there’s a great chance, just like Clark he gets tried on Defense first. I think this kid and Clark bring instant return value whenever their ready to contribute tho
These same fans suck off Dabo and Clemson then praise how good Kendrick is at corner not realizing he was a dynamic weapon on offense as well, but was moved to corner.

Couch is the prototypical South Florida CB (and WR) that we should be bringing in every class. The fact we pushed out Tim Burns, who is smaller but even quicker than Couch, is absurd. Given Diaz's Miami DNA, the fact he doesn't see this is flabbergasting. Make a local talent scout like Duasso the recruiting coordinator and we'd be 10x better off.
Agree on all of that, but please keep Brooke.

Last edited:
Advertisement
I'm not excusing the staff for this fvck up, but something crossed my mind today.

I will say that I have very little knowledge about recruiting in general and even less about the bureaucratic work of budgeting recruiting in CFB, but:

What if Manny feels his system can be ok with avg/ok CB play? (Even in the statistical good years that we had under Diaz our CB play was good at best, nothing elite and we didin't have a single AA level player at the position if I remember correctly.)

Plus, I assume CB recruiting is very expensive, because you have to look at dozens maybe even hundreds of kids to set up your board, you probably have to go (fly and visit) outside of SFL to really have a decent class and the big dogs and bag schools are out fighting for the elite ones. All this may signal to Diaz that he should focus in other areas. I'm not saying everything that happened in the last 2/3 cycles, especially this one, was by design, but maybe there's a reason why they not seem to be panicking (I feel like they should).

On top of all that Rumph seems to really struggle to sell himself and the program to HS kids, so maybe this is more a product of financial restrain and schematic ideology than just plain incompetence. Although what happened this cycle is boderline malpractice. Or maybe I'm so dumbfounded by this level of incompetence that I feel like I'm missing the bigger picture that doesn't exist.

Advertisement
Back