Manny believes in the Defense

Reality check: coaches rarely publicly admit when they have doubts or issues
Well sufferin’ succotash, I remember how when he was at Notre Shame Lou Holtz used to talk about how terrible his team was compared Navy or whichever juggernaut he was about to play.

Of course, he was being disingenuous, so...

Advertisement
The problem is our eyes don't watch every team. I'd wager 95% of the fanbases in the country think their defenses suck. 2020 football is a different game.

IMO, we are what the stats say we are. The 4th best defense in the conference (behind Clemson, ND and Pittsburgh) and a Top 35ish unit overall. We don't suck but we aren't good, and the biggest reason is poor LB recruiting.
This year we are actually a top 55ish unit overall. This is by far the worst defense Diaz has put on the field since his arrival here.

2016: 4.90 YPP allowed vs all FBS opponents (14th in the country), 5.45 YPP allowed vs Ranked Opponents (21st in the country)
2017: 4.75 YPP allowed vs all FBS opponents (8th in the country), 4.44 YPP allowed vs Ranked Opponents (3rd in the country)
2018: 4.52 YPP allowed vs all FBS opponents (3rd in the country), 4.55 YPP allowed vs Ranked Opponents (5th in the country)
2019: 4.86 YPP allowed vs all FBS opponents (14th in the country), 5.53 YPP allowed vs Ranked Opponents (17th in the country)
2020: 5.41 YPP allowed vs all FBS opponents (41st in the country), 6.35 YPP allowed vs Ranked Opponents (37th in the country) ** Only Clemson was ranked when we played them this year

So, really no validity to this padding the stats vs bad teams thing. The defense has pretty much been who it's been vs ranked or unranked opponents. Yes, there's a slight increase in YPP allowed to ranked opponents in every season except 2018. But you'd expect that...they're better teams. For example, last year Ohio State led the country in YPP allowed vs FBS teams....in 14 games vs FBS opponents, they gave up 4.14 YPP.

But if you filter for all teams games vs ranked opponents, the number that led the country was 4.74 YPP. Makes sense. Everyone pads their stats against bad teams.
Most telling thing from this is the defense this year has been the worse since Manny got here. We are going backwards under Baker, that's clear.

"I asked Manny about defensive metrics he prefers to look at it and I think he has mentioned yards per play"

"Manny says he values the yards per play metric when he evaluates the defense. He says UM is fourth in the conference in YPP on defense."

"Manny Diaz says he is pleased with the way the linebackers played coming off the bye week. He says Bradley Jennings played better coming off the bye. He says the run defense got better as the game progressed."

"Diaz says Emeka Emezie made three "extraordinary" plays in which he tips his cap to them. Some of the fades were high level throw and catches, but he does say Miami can defend it better. Diaz says Emezie could play at Clemson and he is a high level player."

"Diaz believes defenses in 2020 have been hurt by the loss of physicality and practicing in the spring and then he says you can't be too physical in practice too because if guys get injured in practice AND guys are out with COVID, you might have to start cancelling games because of available bodies."

"Diaz says he isn't sure if football will ever be a defensive game moving forward. He says you can still play great defense, but how it is measure changes. He says we all have to understand how offense has advantages nowadays. Offenses have a ton of answers in modern times. He says the game still comes down to toughness and tackling. He says he takes even more pride in playing good defense nowadays because the challenge is greater."

"He is saying there was a lot of eye discipline issue."
whats he gonna say? Baker is *** n his defense is trash?

Advertisement
you know how many times i've watched the opposing offense march right down the field for a TD?

Especially on the opening drive? Is their a metric for that anywhere?

you know how many times i've watched the opposing offense march right down the field for a TD?

Especially on the opening drive? Is their a metric for that anywhere?

Agreed. I’ll try to find it but yes it does sure like the opposing offense does whatever it wants to open games. And it seemed that way even when Manny was the DC. They usually adjust well and the 2nd half of games are better, it seems. But opening drives....woof.

Just off the top of my head, Louisville had success drive 1, FSU did, Clemson scored, UVA scored, NC State scored.....

Advertisement
Agreed. I'm happy with the LB and OL in this class. The CBs are more of the same (slightly worse).

I've been patient with Rumph but his recruiting isn't getting any better. There's a ceiling there and it's below championship level.

Brooks, Huff, TAC, Flagg and hopefully Steed should be the future at the LB position. A lot of physical tools amongst the first 3 just need more time to get healthy and get reps

Tyler Johnson and Troutman also seem to be similar athletically to the first 3

If we could add Lewis or Hood it would be even better

Unfortunately Jennings and McCloud are the upperclassmen we’re going to have to suffer through this year but they can’t be the guys next year

CB position is a mess and Rumph needs to go ASAP

I will be shocked if Baker is DC next year. Expect changes up and down the defensive staff. I don't believe anyone will be safe.

If any of you think a head coach keeps an assistant because of friendship then you don't know the type of A personality it takes to become a head coach at a P5 school. More often than not the decision to keep an assistant is dictated by budget constraints and/or availability of a better coach. These guys hate losing

I will be shocked if Baker is DC next year. Expect changes up and down the defensive staff. I don't believe anyone will be safe.

If any of you think a head coach keeps an assistant because of friendship then you don't know the type of A personality it takes to become a head coach at a P5 school. More often than not the decision to keep an assistant is dictated by budget constraints and/or availability of a better coach. These guys hate losing
How long was Mark Richt and Al Golden a head coach again?

We're 4th in the ACC in scoring defense, too. Don't read too much in the YPP stuff. He's been using the same metric since he got here.
But where do the other teams rank in the nation? If we’re 4th in the ACC & “so-so-school” is 3rd in the ACC but 40th in the nation, then that’s a inflated, disingenuous talking point, and slanting stats to make it appear one way that it’s not.

Advertisement
How long was Mark Richt and Al Golden a head coach again?
I'll admit Golden kept his buddy on staff, but you assume he had the budgetary freedom to hire a better coordinator. Richt only kept one perosn on staff due to loyalty-his son. And that probably had more to do with keeping a marriage intact than anything else.

I’m not Manny, so I don’t know his thought processes, nor am I making excuses for him.

But I know one thing, if I were a coach I wouldn’t give three fūcks about trying to make message board heroes or Twitter warriors happy. Or fans for that matter. I’d do what I thought was right and not worry about it.

In fact, I personally stopped trying to please people (professionally) a long time ago, and have succeeded greatly because of it. I’ve learned that the top people give zero fūcks what anybody thinks about them. It’s a real character flaw and failing to care, in fact, it’s one of my criticisms of Manny.
Well if that’s the case, the top guy should give zero fcks for calling out his DC & keeping it real v. saying some bull chit like we’re 4th in the ACC as he defends his DC. What he could’ve said was “we still believe in our scheme, we’ve had success in our scheme, but our staff are always looking to improve, and we have some data to discuss together.”

And as far as someone mentioning Saban’s comment about defense, that **** didn’t even believe that chit. Bama promptly got their chit together & started reclaim its defensive identity, starting w/ the 2nd half of shutting down UGA. That comment was fashionable at the beginning of the season, not week 8.

Advertisement
We played terrible defense versus NC State, so that’s not in dispute, but NCST was averaging 32 points a game and 4-2 before we played them, and only against UNC were they “stopped” for 21 points. So to characterize them as being shut down this year is misleading.
only gae I watched was their last game against North Carolina, N Carolinas defense is horrible and NC State didnt put up yards untill the 4th qtr when the game was out of reach. The score was like 40-7. N carolina shut them down man

But where do the other teams rank in the nation? If we’re 4th in the ACC & “so-so-school” is 3rd in the ACC but 40th in the nation, then that’s a inflated, disingenuous talking point, and slanting stats to make it appear one way that it’s not.
12. Notre Dame
21. Clemson
28. Pitt
38. BC
39. Wake
40. Miami

This is a great read on how YPP can be deceiving af. It’s all about what O-philosophy teams you play. If you play a pass-happy team, your YPP is going to look much worst, or if u play a run-happy team or an anemic offense, then your YPP is going to look great. That’s y the rhetoric of being 4th in the ACC needs clarification & context.

Advertisement
Back