Manny believes in the Defense

Well if that’s the case, the top guy should give zero fcks for calling out his DC & keeping it real v. saying some bull chit like we’re 4th in the ACC as he defends his DC. What he could’ve said was “we still believe in our scheme, we’ve had success in our scheme, but our staff are always looking to improve, and we have some data to discuss together.”

And as far as someone mentioning Saban’s comment about defense, that **** didn’t even believe that chit. Bama promptly got their chit together & started reclaim its defensive identity, starting w/ the 2nd half of shutting down UGA. That comment was fashionable at the beginning of the season, not week 8.

I mean sure, whatever, you guys knock yourselves out parsing his statements and micromanaging what he should be saying. That’s fine.

It just doesn’t move the needle for me, my friend. I don’t think he should care what people think he should say, and if he does care, he’s a complete idiot. And by people I mean the media, message board squatters, social media butterflies, and fans.

But anyway, like I said in another post, I rarely watch sports interviews hardly at all, or read that many quotes. My eyes glaze over. It’s what happens on the field that interests me.

Advertisement
only gae I watched was their last game against North Carolina, N Carolinas defense is horrible and NC State didnt put up yards untill the 4th qtr when the game was out of reach. The score was like 40-7. N carolina shut them down man

OK well that was one game and they still ended up scoring 21 points. Your statement was still misleading. But it’s not that big a deal, nobody disagrees that they played a nightmarish defense against NC State... should’ve given up no more than a couple of touchdowns

It was more on the offensive side, but in a nutshell, you could have 3 three and outs with a 1 yard gain each play and then a 90 yard run. You'd have 10 plays, 90 yards for a 9 yd/play average. But you'd still only have a 10% success rate, which is really bad. the averages for intraconference play for P5 were 27-29% in 2017.
I’m right there with you if you’re comparing it against success rate. I can see how it can mislead in comparison to success rate.

That's just scoring defense and it's the NCAA's stats. There are a whole lot of teams with just one game ******** up the whole thing.

Toledo is number 1 and Wisconsin is number two.

NCAA comparative stats are currently a mess because you have a lot of teams that have only played one or two games, rendering rankings almost meaningless. In a few weeks they will be more relevant assuming that the B10 and the Pac 12 actually get in a few more games

Advertisement
you know how many times i've watched the opposing offense march right down the field for a TD?

Especially on the opening drive? Is their a metric for that anywhere?

UAB- No
Louisville- FG
FSU- FG
Clemson- TD
UVA- TD
Pitt- No
Nc State- TD

5/7 games we’ve given up points on the opening drive. 3/7 games have been a TD.

I'm 99% confident that if an elite LB coach was hired to coach LBs, at least 4 LBs on the roster would be studs.
Which 4? The two guys starting have major deficiencies. We don’t have 4 LBs ready to perform at a stud level this season, unfortunately.

I mean sure, whatever, you guys knock yourselves out parsing his statements and micromanaging what he should be saying. That’s fine.

It just doesn’t move the needle for me, my friend. I don’t think he should care what people think he should say, and if he does care, he’s a complete idiot. And by people I mean the media, message board squatters, social media butterflies, and fans.

But anyway, like I said in another post, I rarely watch sports interviews hardly at all, or read that many quotes. My eyes glaze over. It’s what happens on the field that interests me.
I typically dgaf bout “coaches” speak, b/c it’s usually media content; but since Golden, I’ve noticed it’s very little coaches speak w these guys recently & more true feelings, which has me and I’m sure others, spooked af.

That’s why when I read such press, I’m literally like ‘omfg’, b/c it appears these are genuine statements v. coaches talk. I remember Manny low key throwing jabs at the O last season by saying “we’ll be evaluating everything” & hinting at locker room issues on that side. But when he comes to the defense of his defensive staff, it makes me feel like it’s a genuine feeling.

Advertisement
I typically dgaf bout “coaches” speak, b/c it’s usually media content; but since Golden, I’ve noticed it’s very little coaches speak w these guys recently & more true feelings, which has me and I’m sure others, spooked af.

That’s why when I read such press, I’m literally like ‘omfg’, b/c it appears these are genuine statements v. coaches talk. I remember Manny low key throwing jabs at the O last season by saying “we’ll be evaluating everything” & hinting at locker room issues on that side. But when he comes to the defense of his defensive staff, it makes me feel like it’s a genuine feeling.

I don’t have the mental energy to care honestly. People will either do shlt or they won’t. Show me, don’t tell me. Just don’t GAF

That's just scoring defense and it's the NCAA's stats. There are a whole lot of teams with just one game ******** up the whole thing.

Toledo is number 1 and Wisconsin is number two.
Right now, Miami is giving up 5.41 ypp (38th) & 394 ypg (52nd)

They are 75th against the pass (giving up an avg. of 11.10 YPP), 55th against the run (giving up an avg of 4.14 ypc) and 103rd in 1st down defense. They are 40th & 41st on 3rd & 4th down Def, respectively.

Advertisement
Which 4? The two guys starting have major deficiencies. We don’t have 4 LBs ready to perform at a stud level this season, unfortunately.

I thought about it more and now I feel you are right. I count 3 LBs that could be top echelon LBs.

With an elite LB coach:

1. Brooks - I am certain he has all the tools to be a top tier LB
2. I don't care about his 40 time. When he gets beat because he's too slow, we can revisit.
3. Huff- also has all the tools, needs better coaching

Beyond that I think we have JAGs.

This year we are actually a top 55ish unit overall. This is by far the worst defense Diaz has put on the field since his arrival here.

The recruiting misses are really piling up this year across the board. This defensive philosophy requires that you get home along or behind the LOS, if not you out a lot of pressure on the back 7. We're in the later situation too much.

I thought about it more and now I feel you are right. I count 3 LBs that could be top echelon LBs.

With an elite LB coach:

1. Brooks - I am certain he has all the tools to be a top tier LB
2. I don't care about his 40 time. When he gets beat because he's too slow, we can revisit.
3. Huff- also has all the tools, needs better coaching

Beyond that I think we have JAGs.
Brooks should be a rush end like Khalil Mack. Strategically schemed to cover the flats every now & then, but he should be hunting the QB primarily.

Advertisement
I will be shocked if Baker is DC next year. Expect changes up and down the defensive staff. I don't believe anyone will be safe.

If any of you think a head coach keeps an assistant because of friendship then you don't know the type of A personality it takes to become a head coach at a P5 school. More often than not the decision to keep an assistant is dictated by budget constraints and/or availability of a better coach. These guys hate losing
But we’ve already seen it here for the yrs. lol. We’ve had coaches keep incompetent staff members due to friendship. Maybe Manny is a type A, win at all cost, personality. Right now, he appears to be a guy w great politician skills, w a nice story of moving from the video editing dept to a head coach.

NO ONE WANTS MANNY TO BASH HIS PLAYERS.

Can we stop this bull**** trope already?

All some are asking for is at least some kind of acknowledgement of reality which is the defense is lacking right now. This can be done without saying a single players name, and it can be done in an absolutely non confrontational, calm manner.

4th in the ACC isn't really much to brag about. Neither is 40th in the nation which is where we really are using his metric.

And then when you consider we've been playing hobbled teams starting their back up qbs? Even worse.

Give us some coach speak bro. "We're not where we need to be. Gotta get better and I think we will. I believe in our guys."

Everyone knows the defense is weak.
x100000. Honestly, I’ve never seen so many excuses used or such defensive responses. Not one post said Manny should be bashing chit. But w/ our given history of oblivious coaches, it would be nice to acknowledge we’re not where we want to be; ****, even use Covid & players missing as an excuse. Idgaf....but to openly say he’s pleased? That’s eye opening. To further justify by giving a fluff stat to justify your position is even more puzzling.

That’s what most are saying. Just keep it 💯 w/o divulging too much & being non confrontational. Coaches do it all the time.

Shaq and Pink were signed by Richt. Golden was recruiting them but he got fired before they ever stepped on campus
Yes, but Shaq & Pinck committed to Miami in the Summer of 2014. So yes, Richt/Diaz may have coached & signed them, but Golden recruited & they stayed true. So technically those were Golden’s players.

Advertisement
Back