Manny believes in the Defense

Mr. Dynasty1

Junior
"I asked Manny about defensive metrics he prefers to look at it and I think he has mentioned yards per play"

"Manny says he values the yards per play metric when he evaluates the defense. He says UM is fourth in the conference in YPP on defense."

"Manny Diaz says he is pleased with the way the linebackers played coming off the bye week. He says Bradley Jennings played better coming off the bye. He says the run defense got better as the game progressed."

"Diaz says Emeka Emezie made three "extraordinary" plays in which he tips his cap to them. Some of the fades were high level throw and catches, but he does say Miami can defend it better. Diaz says Emezie could play at Clemson and he is a high level player."

"Diaz believes defenses in 2020 have been hurt by the loss of physicality and practicing in the spring and then he says you can't be too physical in practice too because if guys get injured in practice AND guys are out with COVID, you might have to start cancelling games because of available bodies."

"Diaz says he isn't sure if football will ever be a defensive game moving forward. He says you can still play great defense, but how it is measure changes. He says we all have to understand how offense has advantages nowadays. Offenses have a ton of answers in modern times. He says the game still comes down to toughness and tackling. He says he takes even more pride in playing good defense nowadays because the challenge is greater."

"He is saying there was a lot of eye discipline issue."

Advertisement
Advertisement
psych 101...ya'll are crazy if you think he's gonna come out and publicly bash the D and have it all over social media how the D is to blame for everything...foh with that.
he needs to be a silent assassin about this anyway and clean some house after the season...what we got aint changing mid season..please.

psych 101...ya'll are crazy if you think he's gonna come out and publicly bash the D and have it all over social media how the D is to blame for everything...foh with that.
he needs to be a silent assassin about this anyway and clean some house after the season...what we got aint changing mid season..please.
This is what im painstakingly taking from it.

Like a dog chasing its tail. They go for every time.

Advertisement
“I hate my defense. We suck. We’ll be lucky if the next team we play doesn’t hang 50 on us”

....Manny Diaz

(He actually didn’t say this, but since apparently that’s what you want to hear I thought I’d throw it in here to keep you barking dogs at bay. Reality check: coaches rarely publicly admit when they have doubts or issues)

I'd be curious to see our YPP against ranked opponents. Without looking at any data I'm inclined to say we pad our YPP and overall defensive stats vs bad ACC teams. We are usually exposed against competent offenses and QB's.

2016: 4.90 YPP allowed vs all FBS opponents (14th in the country), 5.45 YPP allowed vs Ranked Opponents (21st in the country)
2017: 4.75 YPP allowed vs all FBS opponents (8th in the country), 4.44 YPP allowed vs Ranked Opponents (3rd in the country)
2018: 4.52 YPP allowed vs all FBS opponents (3rd in the country), 4.55 YPP allowed vs Ranked Opponents (5th in the country)
2019: 4.86 YPP allowed vs all FBS opponents (14th in the country), 5.53 YPP allowed vs Ranked Opponents (17th in the country)
2020: 5.41 YPP allowed vs all FBS opponents (41st in the country), 6.35 YPP allowed vs Ranked Opponents (37th in the country) ** Only Clemson was ranked when we played them this year

So, really no validity to this padding the stats vs bad teams thing. The defense has pretty much been who it's been vs ranked or unranked opponents. Yes, there's a slight increase in YPP allowed to ranked opponents in every season except 2018. But you'd expect that...they're better teams. For example, last year Ohio State led the country in YPP allowed vs FBS teams....in 14 games vs FBS opponents, they gave up 4.14 YPP.

But if you filter for all teams games vs ranked opponents, the number that led the country was 4.74 YPP. Makes sense. Everyone pads their stats against bad teams.

There’s a huge gap between bashing the Defense and saying “We watched the film and we have to be better. I’m not satisfied with how we looked on friday, but we’ll work this week to fix those things.” It’s another empty statement but changes the tenor completely.

Advertisement
Advertisement
We're 4th in the ACC in scoring defense, too. Don't read too much in the YPP stuff. He's been using the same metric since he got here.
Coaches use YPP across the country. It’s the smart way to look at things versus total defense, which can be skewed by tempo. YPP is important but acknowledging huge holes in the defense is another. Saying you’re pleased with LB play right now is frightening.

There’s a huge gap between bashing the Defense and saying “We watched the film and we have to be better. I’m not satisfied with how we looked on friday, but we’ll work this week to fix those things.” It’s another empty statement but changes the tenor completely.

But he did say that..he said 2 things can be true and we have to get better

I’m not Manny, so I don’t know his thought processes, nor am I making excuses for him.

But I know one thing, if I were a coach I wouldn’t give three fūcks about trying to make message board heroes or Twitter warriors happy. Or fans for that matter. I’d do what I thought was right and not worry about it.

In fact, I personally stopped trying to please people (professionally) a long time ago, and have succeeded greatly because of it. I’ve learned that the top people give zero fūcks what anybody thinks about them. It’s a real character flaw and failing to care, in fact, it’s one of my criticisms of Manny.

Advertisement
Back