Manny believes in the Defense

YPP is an important metric to use, but we’ve still had glaring issues. Eye discipline has been bad ALL season, not just one week. Hearing that he was pleased with the LB play is definitely disheartening.
I might go back to school and play linebacker at Miami. I'm way older than all the players and I probably suck now so I'd definitely start.

Advertisement
i don't know why people put so much stock in coaches' comments. They have to be so guarded.
Gotta keep it 💯 with these guys. Real recognize real. Don't get it twisted, most of these players see right thru the BS. You've got to call a spade, a spade. These aren't adolescents he's dealing with. Most of these young men should be able to handle the truth. All the cuddling does is soften the team.

Gotta keep it 💯 with these guys. Real recognize real. Don't get it twisted, most of these players see right thru the BS. You've got to call a spade, a spade. These aren't adolescents he's dealing with. Most of these young men should be able to handle the truth. All the cuddling does is soften the team.
We agree. The word is coddling, not cuddling.

I’d be curious to read about that but it seems like even with an outlier the numbers should balance out over a longer period of time?
It was more on the offensive side, but in a nutshell, you could have 3 three and outs with a 1 yard gain each play and then a 90 yard run. You'd have 10 plays, 90 yards for a 9 yd/play average. But you'd still only have a 10% success rate, which is really bad. the averages for intraconference play for P5 were 27-29% in 2017.

Were you expecting Manny to say "I don't believe in our D"???

We are not an elite team...

But we are better than 2019....

Good teams can make 2nd half adjustments to win....

We did that....and that's completely different direction for the team compared to the 2019 version...

What we need on D is MORE TALENT....

Stop all the coach-trashing you guys do year after year...

Miami hasn't had the talent from front to back in decades...

We get sprinkles of elite talent.... but nothing remotely close to the 2 and 3 deep that Bama, Clemson, OSU have been getting for 10+ years.
We didn’t need to be Bama or Clemson. Giving up 35+ points to this team with their backup QB is bad.

We’re not going to stop critiquing, just like you don’t have to stop blindly supporting. There is enough talent on that defense to hold NC State.

Im not expecting this team to be elite but if your telling me the LBs were better, seven games in and your defense has eye discipline issues still, and your corners played well but the other guys just made better plays and it’s BS, I’m going to voice my disagreement

Advertisement
Advertisement
this is a make or break recruiting year for manny. he needs to stack LB's CB's, and OL, or he is going to have some serious problems

Agreed. I'm happy with the LB and OL in this class. The CBs are more of the same (slightly worse).

I've been patient with Rumph but his recruiting isn't getting any better. There's a ceiling there and it's below championship level.

That safety class coming in is going to HAVE to play at high level coming in..

Its not asking much but when i see other defemses shut down NC state and they score on will on us..thats a problem.. NC state isnt clemson or N Carolina on offense.

We played terrible defense versus NC State, so that’s not in dispute, but NCST was averaging 32 points a game and 4-2 before we played them, and only against UNC were they “stopped” for 21 points. So to characterize them as being shut down this year is misleading.

The problem is our eyes don't watch every team. I'd wager 95% of the fanbases in the country think their defenses suck. 2020 football is a different game.

IMO, we are what the stats say we are. The 4th best defense in the conference (behind Clemson, ND and Pittsburgh) and a Top 35ish unit overall. We don't suck but we aren't good, and the biggest reason is poor LB recruiting.
I'm not sure what watching other teams defenses has to do with making a determination on ours. I understand you aren't going to shut down teams like Clemson or Bama or Florida, but giving up that kind of production to NC State was ugly. I can almost guarantee that VT will have great success against us this week and they just got beat by Liberty.

Whether you say "we suck" or "we aren't good," the results are the same, bad.

Advertisement
Yea Manny has always been advance analytic guy but our numbers have to be down across the board.. YPP, Havoc rate, tfl, sacks, turnovers, etc..

This is with his players in his scheme, not a good look

You are correct about the numbers being down. Specifically the analytics he likes to track. However, this is not a new system. They've been running it for 5 years now with mostly good results. Why are they down in the important categories this year if they're playing the same system?
I agree yds per carry important but points allowed per game more important to me
Points allowed is obviously the most important but it's not necessarily a great indicator of how well your defense is playing. A pick six or a special teams touchdown still counts against you even if your defense had nothing to do with it. Field position can also play a big factor. If your offense turns it over inside the redzone and the defense holds the opponent to three and a field goal, that 3 points still counts against your defense.

Great info. I think YPP is the clearly more useful stat over Total Yards, but I still believe it needs to be used in conjunction with 3rd down % and RZ%.

So last year's D was very good in YPP, but shaky (53th) in 3rd down % and shaky (47th) in RZ% .
This year, we're 41st in YPP, but also 45th in 3rd down % and 42nd in RZ%.

For comparison, the last year Manny was DC, we were 3rd in YPP, 1st in 3rd down %, and 86th in RZ%.

the top three metrics our defensive staff used to use when i was in college, and i still believe in these numbers strongly:

1) YPP ("yards per play" = total yards/total plays) - shows average yards per play over the course of the game. the lower the better

2) PPP ("plays per point" = total plays/total offensive points scored) - how many plays to generate each point scored in the game - special teams and opposing defensive scores are removed from the denominator. the higher the ratio, the better

3) TDC ("third down conversion" percentage) - self explanatory. They also used a companion with this: FPP ("first downs per possession" - total 1st downs/total possessions) - when both of these are used together, it's the best measure of how fast the defense is getting off the field. and yes, a score (TD/FG) counts as a "first down" in this metric.

I haven't calculated the numbers for 2 and 3 above, but i would be curious as **** to see where we stand on those.

Advertisement
The problem is our eyes don't watch every team. I'd wager 95% of the fanbases in the country think their defenses suck. 2020 football is a different game.

IMO, we are what the stats say we are. The 4th best defense in the conference (behind Clemson, ND and Pittsburgh) and a Top 35ish unit overall. We don't suck but we aren't good, and the biggest reason is poor LB recruiting.
If they actually listened to the press conference, they would know the offensive stats comment brought up by the reporter from Virginia.....

I know yall gonna kill Manny here fo this shortly, but I think Saban just said the same thing a few weeks ago
1604959419615.jpeg

I'd be curious to see our YPP against ranked opponents. Without looking at any data I'm inclined to say we pad our YPP and overall defensive stats vs bad ACC teams. We are usually exposed against competent offenses and QB's.
It's all relative. I assume you get it that other teams pad their stats against bad teams, right? Otherwise they wouldn't be the bad teams.

Advertisement
Back