Manny’s coach speak non-sense

“When we don’t play defense to the standard of what we expect at Miami, it isn’t so much about the play calling,” Diaz said. “It is just about accountability and accountability goes to me in order for us to play great defense at UM. By putting myself in that role, what we are able to do as a staff is put the accountability on the players.”

What does any of this even mean?

He gets worse by the minute. I don’t know why he can’t just say we underperformed and that players and coaches have to be better.

We’ve had so many things go our way, I truly hope 2021 is a sink or swim year. I couldn’t stand to fast forward 12 months and listen to him dance around how he screwed up yet another opportunity
He's verbalizing to the media what he understands internally, and what @DMoney has articulated - he's accountable for the defense and if it doesn't perform his job will be in peril. The how or why of it doesn't matter - it's sink or swim for him and his defense this year.

^ when you color those words in mumbo jumbo coachspeak they aren't as quotable and digestible for media members like Barry Jackson to stir up ****storms. Manny is a calculated speaker.

Advertisement
coach speak is just excuses for the failure and the “we'll coach them up” In a nutshell

accountability would have been sitting McCloud and Jennings *** down earlier in the season and getting other guys reps

if the defense got to complicated... then you need to dial it back and get the best players on the field

because whatever exotic plays McCloud and Jennings knew didn’t matter for shizz when they take so many false steps and flat out got abused in coverage

start there manny

He had Flagg in as a true freshman with virtually no practice time in the Clemson game.

How much earlier would have been fast enough for you?

I don’t know why he can’t just say we underperformed and that players and coaches have to be better.
Are you kidding? That's the most overused line of coach speak ever used!

Advertisement
Coach speak is coach speak, you’re never really gonna get what you’re looking for from that.

The only issue I have is our lame media never asks him a tough question at all, so of course he’s gonna throw a bunch non-sequitur drivel out there when asked soft ball questions.

At the end of the day, Manny knows he has no choice because he’s made the decision that his Defense is a staple of the identity of the team, rather than relinquish control & hire an outside DC he’s doubled down on himself as DC because he refuses to fire his boy, so if the Defense fails this year there will be no one else to blame but him.

Which means if we suck on Defense this year, he needs to be fired, which probably won’t happen because Flake Lames is a CVS store manager masquerading as an AD.
You Get Me Yes GIF by Tristen J. Winger

It means now that the great defensive mind Manny Diaz, rivaled only by Buddy Ryan, is calling plays any poor performance can only be the result of the players. This isn't "coach speak," it's a window into his soul. Manny will never give up control of the defense and be a CEO, he thinks he's too **** smart. Time will tell.

He had Flagg in as a true freshman with virtually no practice time in the Clemson game.

How much earlier would have been fast enough for you?
Where’s Huff??? Where’s TAC??

LBs with speed and instincts in high school all of a sudden go lost... why? Can’t learn the play book BS

Get the best most athletic dudes on the field and keep it simple and play fast.

I’ll say it again since your so dense... what’s the point of being exotic with players who can’t play instead of playing simple with players who are athletic and can make a play.

Advertisement
Where’s Huff??? Where’s TAC??

LBs with speed and instincts in high school all of a sudden go lost... why? Can’t learn the play book BS

Get the best most athletic dudes on the field and keep it simple and play fast.

I’ll say it again since your so dense... what’s the point of being exotic with players who can’t play instead of playing simple with players who are athletic and can make a play.

Dude throwing around the dense comments. Lmao.

We had literally no spring or fall practice man. You just can’t throw a kid out there fresh out of high school with virtually no clue what’s going on. It’s not just about the playbook

He isn't wrong completely. The UNC game wasn't so much about "play-calling" as it was HIS inability (with his apprentice/intern DC) to motivate his players to even want to show up and execute the fundamental basics, like...oh, I don't know, tackling.

The 2-3 LINING UP offsides by our defense in the first drive of the Clemson game (As hard of task to teach your DL as putting on your pads) wasn't a play calling issue either.
The first big play of the UNC game we lined up with 1 single high safety ( Bubba Holden ) UNC ran 2 go routes freezing Bubba Holden in the middle while Ivey was torched for a long completion. That's play calling all day, Dumb *** call...

Advertisement
“When we don’t play defense to the standard of what we expect at Miami, it isn’t so much about the play calling,” Diaz said. “It is just about accountability and accountability goes to me in order for us to play great defense at UM. By putting myself in that role, what we are able to do as a staff is put the accountability on the players.”

What does any of this even mean?

He gets worse by the minute. I don’t know why he can’t just say we underperformed and that players and coaches have to be better.

We’ve had so many things go our way, I truly hope 2021 is a sink or swim year. I couldn’t stand to fast forward 12 months and listen to him dance around how he screwed up yet another opportunity

he thinks he's a great DC and if the defense doesn't improve it's the players' fault... Before the season even starts getting ahead of the fallout. Good PR

I just want a reporter to ask him straight up, "Why is Blake Baker still listed as DC"? And then as SDM does better than anyone else, have a follow up question which is "Do you think the removal of Baker's play-calling responsibilities will help his ability to coach LBs, as they seemed out of position quite often this year...your thoughts on that?"..............Question #2 puts him in no mans land because either way you go it paints a sad sad picture of his DC.

I just want a reporter to ask him straight up, "Why is Blake Baker still listed as DC"? And then as SDM does better than anyone else, have a follow up question which is "Do you think the removal of Baker's play-calling responsibilities will help his ability to coach LBs, as they seemed out of position quite often this year...your thoughts on that?"..............Question #2 puts him in no mans land because either way you go it paints a sad sad picture of his DC.
That would require real journalism which appears to be on existant in Miami sports

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back