Malzahn to UCF

How would you rank the Florida coaches?
1. Dan Mullen, has a better on field record than Diaz as of now.
2. Manny Diaz
3. Butch Davis
4. Gus Malzahn
5T. Willie Taggart/ Mike Norvell
7. USF coach

Last edited:
Advertisement
I think opposite. He will double what he's making for the next ________ years while rebuilding his resume as an elite coach. If he's not up to the task, then so be it. If he wins big (my guess) he'll have a huge opportunity & contract waiting.
Exactly, this guy is reaping the benefits of a stellar job by Jimmy Sexton. He will be raking in huge bucks either way. Not a bad gig at all.

IMO the craziest part of his contract extension (other than the fact he even got one in the first place) is that there is no set off or duty to mitigate on the buyout. So none of the money he's getting paid by UCF is subtracted from the money he is to be paid by Auburn. It's a total windfall for him, and great work by his agent, Jimmy Sexton (and simultaneously a ****-poor move by Auburn).

This article is a bit stale, but it has some solid information on the extension, the buyout, and some of the ramifications for Auburn if anyone is interested:

USA Today Article

High expectations for Gus from the former national champs.

I mean, he should know, right? UCF's 2017 Natty-lite went straight through Gus and his Auburn Tigers.

Meanwhile, Gus lost that Peach Bowl after losing $EC $EC $EC championship game against UGA, and he still got a huge contract extension with a guaranteed buyout w/o any setoff or mitigation provision. The entire value of the contract at UCF is less than half of the value of his Auburn buyout. If Andy Staples is suggesting Gus's Auburn job in the $EC $EC $EC -- where coaches apparently get paid huge sums w/ no strings even if they fail -- was the real pressure cooker, review of the actual consequences strongly suggests otherwise.

Advertisement
Gus Malzahn at 55 vs Mark Richt at 55.

Richt - Fired from UGA after 15 seasons with a 145-51 record - .740
Malzahn - Fired from Auburn after 8 seasons with a 68-35 record - .660

Time will tell if Gus still has something left to offer.

How would you rank the Florida coaches?
1. Dan Mullen, has a better on field record than Diaz as of now.
2. Manny Diaz
3. Butch Davis
4. Gus Malzahn
5T. Willie Taggart/ Mike Norvell
6. USF coach
Hows Diaz ahead of butch da gawd when butch took manny out back to the woodshed

I don't think Malzahn was all that great at Auburn, I think he was riding Chizik's success and Auburn's nefarious recruiting tactics kept them in top 25. Then I am not even sure Butch was still with FIU, I thought I read that he was fired, but the school athletic website says he is the coach next season.

I don't think Malzahn was all that great at Auburn, I think he was riding Chizik's success and Auburn's nefarious recruiting tactics kept them in top 25. Then I am not even sure Butch was still with FIU, I thought I read that he was fired, but the school athletic website says he is the coach next season.

theres a reason AU fans wanted him gone for years.

Advertisement
Which would you prefer?

Someone who may not have anything left in the tank.

OR

Someone who's tank was never filled to begin with

Hopefully it will change in the future BUT until proven otherwise...we really can't throw rocks at any other Florida football team's coach.

Without ANY doubt, I would take any of them over Diaz

Which would you prefer?

OR

Hopefully it will change in the future BUT until proven otherwise...we really can't throw rocks at any other Florida football team's coach.

lol we already had the experiment w a guy who was in a pressure cooker for years. didn't end well. guys burn out esp in the SEC. Gus wasn't even nearly as successful as richt was either.

Which would you prefer?

OR

You’d take Norvell and Taggart without ANY doubt?

You must be the trusting sort....and I’m far from being sold on Manny as being anything more than a stopgap.

"Riding Chizik's success"?

Uhhhhh, the 3 seasons that Chizik didn't have the best player that money could buy (Cam Newton), Chizik posted 2 subpar 8 win seasons, and a miserable 3-9 season in His final year.

Now I'm not sayin' Malzahn's a helluva coach, but He didn't remotely inherit "success".

Advertisement
Overall, Malzahn’s a better coach than Chizik, which is why he got another job, probably could’ve held out for a P5, while Chizik is a 3rd team announcer at the worldwide leader.

Not saying Malzahn is great, but it doesn’t take greatness to be better than Chizik.

lol we already had the experiment w a guy who was in a pressure cooker for years. didn't end well. guys burn out esp in the SEC. Gus wasn't even nearly as successful as richt was either.

Guess we simply disagree.

i'd still easily and confidently take him ....or any other current major college Florida coach over Diaz any day.

Last edited:
Advertisement
I'm not a fan of Gus but for UCF it's a solid hire. Persoanlly I think he's washed but who knows.
He got caught up in the SEC politics and lost sight of his original philosophy. Hurry up, No huddle. He is much better playing the under dog. He will be a great fit for UCF.

so u just don't like diaz lol no matter what he does then

No I NEVER said that. So why are you saying I did??

C'mon man! Anyone with even elementary reading skills can clearly see that I said that I feel that all the other FLA coaches are just better. So surely you jest

It's not a matter of loyalty, I'm an Alum. 100% Cane BUT.... I'm just stating an obvious fact

We're not going to get better by ignoring the obvious

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back