Malzahn to UCF

Big move for UCF who has had to rely on young OC's with zero track record as HC's the last two hires. Gus gives them experience and a steady presence. A CEO type. Auburn is paying bulk of his contract from what I gather giving UCF the opportunity to build a solid staff....perhaps RADIO will be fired as he SUCKS as their DC. In addition, they will stress the recruiting battles in Florida and Georgia. Think the team at risk to be hurt here is FSWho.

Separately, UCF has done a solid job with their AD hires in White and now the new guy from Ark St. Meanwhile UM has a DIP****Z for AD...

1. Most importantly, that was an unnecessary cheap shot. I don’t think it is fair to insult other “DIP****Z” and bring them down to the level of our tranny ***ing, shortbus riding AD who needed 5 years to graduate from Minnesota State Mankato.

2. As for UCF, very good move. They lose their special AD, who we should’ve poached numerous times over the last few years, and HC and made a very good move. I am not saying that Gus will be a guaranteed success but you’re getting a good name to compete at an inferior level. If you’re UCF, how can you be disappointed given where you were when you lost White and Heupel?

3. As for Gus, I don’t pretend to know what he wants. I assume he wanted to be an HC immediately because he is an HC again. I believe another P5 team might have given him a chance after Auburn, without proving himself, but UCF makes sense if you want an immediate job at a decent program. If he does well there and he wants a better gig, he will get it.

4. As for us, you have to be a little envious of how all this transpired and how UCF handles these things. UCF lost White, they bring in a competent AD. White takes Heupel, they get a very good name to replace him. UCF runs athletics using logic, reasoning and common sense. They understand that just because someone leaves you don’t throw in the towel. On the other hand, we’re going into ~10 years of Blake James and the current system running athletics. How do you feel? We have “self-inflicted cancer”.

Advertisement
UCF's athletic director Terry Mohajir has only been there for a short while—brought over from Arkansas State. Danny White was their long-time AD who recently took the gig at Tennessee.

70,000+ students and a large alumni base for that state school—their athletics will continue to grow in years to come.

Just like USF, right?

wait wait wait...didnt you all hate or didnt like hiring a fired coach from the SEC when we did w richt but its okay that UCF did it?!? lol. some of you guys man
It's UCF they not even power 5. I didn't like MR cause he was trash and we left obvious better options on the table. This is the U I look at us like a team capable of being a super power. UCF is UCF they play nobodies....two different animals. Fit does matter... Mark Richt would be a huge hire for UCF not at UM IMO. Muschamp a great hire for UCF but not here but as a coordinator he would be...see? two different things animals.

Every university is different and goals are different as well. UCF seems like the bama of those small conferences

you said the same when we hired a guy who got fired from a big time SEC program for not winning enough?

Before we continue, do you not see the obvious? Seriously? Do you not see the difference between Gus going to UCF and Richt going to Miami?

Please note: I don’t want Gus.

U have to try to lose at UCF to not succeed. Frost was the one who really built a machine there.

Gus spends two years there then dips.
Heupel was doing his best Larry Coker impersonation. Inherited a great team that slowly got worse the longer he was there. He's a good offensive coach but he couldn't recruit at all. Plus, his complete hands-off approach to a defense that really struggled ****ed off fans. I get that he's not a defensive guy but when your defense is garbage consistently, you have to do something to change the pattern and he just seemed content to try to win every game 50-48.

Advertisement
Their model has been young and hungry coaches. I wouldn't go away from that. UCF is fairly easy to have success at, so I'm interested in seeing what type of staff Malzahn puts together and how "in it" he actually is.

Exactly. We were hoping to get a guy who was eager to prove the game didn't pass him by and was updating his playbook. We got a guy who was expecting an easy ride in the ACC. He figured he could throw together a handful of 10 win seasons (he did it at Georgia almost every year) and then ride off into retirement while setting up his son and former running back with long term coaching careers.

Gus is a few years younger than Richt was when he took the UM job so maybe he's not throwing in the towel. It may come as a surprise to him that jsut because he's not in thet SEC anynmore, that doesn't mean he can just coast forever. He will be expected to win fairly consistently.

1. No “we” weren’t. No intelligent person thought Richt was going to easily win 10 games here because his relevant and actual recent track record at UGA said the opposite.
2. The situations are different. You tell me the greater competition drop-off. Going from the SEC to ACC or SEC to AAC?

Advertisement
1. No “we” weren’t. No intelligent person thought Richt was going to easily win 10 games here because his relevant and actual recent track record at UGA said the opposite.
2. The situations are different. You tell me the greater competition drop-off. Going from the SEC to ACC or SEC to AAC?
1. Just like no reasonable person should think Gus will win 10 games at UCF. His track record at Auburn says he won't.

2. If you remove Clemson, the ACC and the AAC aren't very different.

1. Just like no reasonable person should think Gus will win 10 games at UCF. His track record at Auburn says he won't.

2. If you remove Clemson, the ACC and the AAC aren't very different.

1. You came up with the artificial bar to measure someone who I never said would do said artificial bar. My point was the obvious one...obvious to some.

2. Tremendous caveat and incorrect . But please spend a lot of time defending how the ACC sans Clemson isn’t “very different” from the ACC. Why not make more caveats too?

Advertisement
UCF is committed to their Football program. It will pay dividends down the road. Kudos to them.

On paper, this is a good hire but not sure if it will translate on the field like they have the last 5 years or so.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back