Making the pieces fit on DL

Advertisement
The entire defense is an indictment
I can't argue that at all, but the fact that you basically had to replace the entire line. There will not be a single starter from last year and it wasn't because of the NFL or graduation.

Our secondary is great imo yeah it could be better but that’s still the one position on defense I give points to Manny for stacking up nicely for Coach Steele and this current staff to work with.

Last edited:
Advertisement
They're going to complement each other, both will benefit big time from the improved roster. ... And while Taylor had an impressive season last year for a true freshman, he was unreliable at the point of attack. I wouldn't crown him yet. Jackson was playing and ultimately starting as a true freshman, too, and his stats are equally impressive given his role at Maryland.

They both have a lot to prove as second years. We can't afford a sophomore slump.
No one is crowning him as anything, for him to play as limited of snaps in 2021 and to be that productive says a lot. I’m not even going to get into the fallacy of him being washed down on blocks too much because at the end of the day he was a true freshman and he didn’t even play enough for some posters on here to even keep attaching that notion honestly but hey do what y’all do.

More experience means getting better at your craft, Taylor is and is going to be a stud

Last edited:
Advertisement
We've had 5 transfers in on the D line. That's a damning indictment of Manny's recruiting for supposedly being a defensive coach.
This is why I laughed at the people who thought a coaching change was going to automatically make the defense good. The cupboard was **** near empty outside of a handful of guys. On top of the 5 linemen, they also added a transfer corner and linebacker and may be adding more. If the coaches thought these guys could play, they wouldn't have taken **** near a whole new starting lineup from the transfer portal.

The entire defense is an indictment
I can only imagine how shocked this staff was with the amount of holes certain positions had. Mario is fixing things. With this Defense and a couple of other additions, we could win 10 games.

This is why I laughed at the people who thought a coaching change was going to automatically make the defense good. The cupboard was **** near empty outside of a handful of guys. On top of the 5 linemen, they also added a transfer corner and linebacker and may be adding more. If the coaches thought these guys could play, they wouldn't have taken **** near a whole new starting lineup from the transfer portal.
apocalypse now photojournalist GIF
.......Sorry, when I saw you start the last sentence with If this popped in my head...
🤣

Advertisement
Yes, the bartender also knew how to coach them up. How many of our safeties made it to the NFL during his tenure compared to how many LBs were "coached up" by Manny. Night and Day. I am sure his wife did not hurt the recruiting efforts-- the guy can recruit. LOL
The Bartender doing good things in Mormon country lol He going to be a P5 DC in two years

Advertisement
Updated with the addition of Darrell Jackson:

WDE - Mitchell Agude/Jahfari Harvey/ Thomas Davis/ Cyrus Moss/
2T - Darrell Jackson/ Jordan Miller/ Allan Haye Jr/ Ahmad Moten
3T - Jake Lichtenstein/ Leonard Taylor/ Antonio Moultrie/ Jared Harrison-Hunte
SDE - Akheem Mesidor/ Elijah Roberts/ Chantz Williams/ Jabari Ishmael/ Nyjalik Kelly

(After potential Portal exits)

WDE - Mitchell Agude/ Jahfari Harvey/ Thomas Davis/ Cyrus Moss
2T - Darrell Jackson/ Leonard Taylor/ Allan Haye Jr/ Ahmad Moten
3T - Jake Lichtenstein/ Antonio Moultrie/ Elijah Roberts
SDE - Akheem Mesidor/ Chantz Williams/ Nyjalik Kelly/ Jabari Ishmael

Now obviously, there’s a real possibility that at least 1 of, if not both Jordan Miller & JHH end up hitting the Portal.

Maybe we keep them, I would doubt that we do, but if we did that would give us the 2nd most depth at DL in the ACC.

I hope we can keep both, but that’s unrealistic, but hopefully we can keep at least one of them.

I still would bring in DJ Coleman if we can, after Agude & Mesidor I’m not sure we have a big time pass rusher at DE. I was never high on Chantz coming out of HS, he was always a limited speed rusher to me that struggles fighting off blocks due to inability to properly hand fight while engaging. I was high on Harvey but he’s been a disappointment thus far, between the two I think he can at least be a solid situational rusher given the flashes he shown, but otherwise none except for the TF’s who aren’t ready yet have really show premier pass rush ability.

But either way, this staff has a lot of pieces to work with on the DLine, we have a line full of versatile guys & adding Jackson adds even more to that group. A front 4 with Akheem, Jackson, Taylor & Agude on a 3rd down & long with guys Stunting the B & C gaps is a **** scary sight & I know Steele, Wright & Salave’a can’t wait mix up the sub packages & exotic looks we can throw out there vs offenses.

Where would Nesta fit in this depth chart in your opinion?

Where would Nesta fit in this depth chart in your opinion?
As a backup at 3-Tech.

He would’ve been a nice situational depth piece to have to help against the run, but unless he made exponential strides in his ability & developed better instincts miraculously, he wasn’t gonna start ahead of any of the Portal DT’s we brought in & I don’t think he’d play over a kid like Taylor either.

Unfortunately for him, he was a limited player that couldn’t overcome his limitations & the Portal made him replaceable & expendable.

Advertisement
Back