Making the pieces fit on DL

As a backup at 3-Tech.

He would’ve been a nice situational depth piece to have to help against the run, but unless he made exponential strides in his ability & developed better instincts miraculously, he wasn’t gonna start ahead of any of the Portal DT’s we brought in & I don’t think he’d play over a kid like Taylor either.

Unfortunately for him, he was a limited player that couldn’t overcome his limitations & the Portal made him replaceable & expendable.

I completely agree and I'm happy you wrote that. I said almost the same thing verbatim when he transferred. That he would not have been a starter this year anyway, that he knew it, and bounced. That he would be a back up to other guys already on the roster including the TBD portal-in guys, and that he'd be a nice depth piece that I didn't want to lose, but wasn't too concerned about.

I went around and around with a few posters about it, even got called a hater I think (lol). Not taking a victory lap, I couldn't care less about that stuff, but the point I'd like to make is... perspective is everything. Mario has a road map. People here need to learn not to "skate to the puck," but to where they think the puck is going (W. Gretzky). What we've had, what we've been, is unacceptable. Mario is bringing in better guys to take jobs.

Advertisement
This is why I laughed at the people who thought a coaching change was going to automatically make the defense good. The cupboard was **** near empty outside of a handful of guys. On top of the 5 linemen, they also added a transfer corner and linebacker and may be adding more. If the coaches thought these guys could play, they wouldn't have taken **** near a whole new starting lineup from the transfer portal.
We had a few outstanding players that led us to believe he was better than he was.

99Elijah RobertsDefensive Line (Flex)6-4275 lbs.Sophomore
33Chantz WilliamsDefensive Line (Flex)6-4255 lbs.Sophomore
12Jahfari HarveyDefensive Line (Flex)6-4252 lbs.Redshirt Sophomore
55Jacob LichtensteinDefensive Line (Flex)6-5270 lbs.Redshirt Senior
44Antonio MoultrieDefensive Line (Flex)6-4265 lbs.Redshirt Senior
97Allan Haye, Jr.Defensive Line (Interior)6-2305 lbs.Redshirt Freshman
56Leonard TaylorDefensive Line (Interior)6-3305 lbs.Sophomore
81Jared Harrison-HunteDefensive Line (Interior)6-4285 lbs.Redshirt Sophomore
91Jordan MillerDefensive Line (Interior)6-4320 lbs.Redshirt Junior
--Darrell Jackson Jr.Defensive Line (Interior) 6-6305 lbs.Sophomore
90Nyjalik KellyDefensive End (Listed as DL)6-4240 lbs.Freshman
39Cyrus MossDefensive End (Listed as DL)6-5215 lbs.Freshman
93Jabari IshmaelDefensive End6-5245 lbs.Redshirt Freshman
95Thomas DavisDefensive End6-2220 lbs.Redshirt Freshman
--Mitchell AgudeDefensive End6-4 255 lbs. Senior
--Akheem MesidorDefensive End (Could be FLEX)6-2272 lbs.Junior
45Bryan LevineDefensive Line (Walk-on)6-3230 lbs.Redshirt Sophomore
84Josh NeelyDefensive Line (Walk-on)6-3260 lbs.Redshirt Sophomore

I think this shows the versatility and "completeness" of this group. You could say that the group is missing a War Daddy to complete it, but this isn't bad.

This is what you want your roster to look like from a class-balance perspective as well. You're likely losing 4 - 5 from this group for next year with players spread out between flex and edge.

--Darrell Jackson Jr.Defensive Line (Interior)6-6305 lbs.Sophomore
--Mitchell AgudeDefensive End6-4255 lbs.Senior

I think this shows the versatility and "completeness" of this group. You could say that the group is missing a War Daddy to complete it, but this isn't bad.

This is what you want your roster to look like from a class-balance perspective as well. You're likely losing 4 - 5 from this group for next year with players spread out between flex and edge.
The addition of Jackson put us in a great position on the interior provided he proves to e a stud. We have versatility with multiple combinations of speed and size we a throw at teams. I also believe in conjunction with a more robust defensive staff, better coaching and scheme and emphasis on physicality, the defense will be much improved than in previous years.

Advertisement
--Darrell Jackson Jr.Defensive Line (Interior)6-6305 lbs.Sophomore
--Mitchell AgudeDefensive End6-4255 lbs.Senior

Is Davis still only 220?

Not arguing with you but if that was the case why was he nudged out the door?

Was he though? Or was it just a shrug when he announced he wanted to go?

Personally I'm with Geta that he would have started, at least most games. But his snaps would have gone down, which may not have been acceptable to him.

Personally I'm with Geta that he would have started, at least most games. But his snaps would have gone down, which may not have been acceptable to him.
My understanding was he was encouraged to seek opportunities elsewhere.

Advertisement
One thing is for sure, this is now (expecting a portal exit) the most versatile DL we’ve had in nearly 2 decades. So long as Miller sticks around, the additions of Jackson and Mesidor change the entire outlook. Specifically, the addition of Jackson really allows Steele a legitimate, sustainable path to playing those 303 and 404 fronts he’d probably like to utilize against many of our spread opponents.

We now have a few perfect pieces for the front, and while Jackson isn’t the traditional ‘big, wide, immovable’ human (looks like he can move his feet, too) people think about as 0 techs to shade or head up the center, he and Miller can definitely make it happen how we need it. Plus, we don’t need to sit here praying for Allen Haye to make some magical leap.

The Jackson pickup makes up for the big NT we lost to Auburn. I don’t think it can go overstated how important it will be for us. Extremely excited to see what Steele puts together now.
Agreed and I am also very excited to see what Steele can put together. One question @LuCane What are 303 and 404 fronts? Thank you.

Advertisement
Miller has to take the next step as a 1T and also unfortunately Haye will get lots of burn at 1T hope he will be ready to contribute early if this team D wants to be stout

Whoever told you Kevin Steele was going to base in an even front also sold you some stock in Nevin Shapiro's new business venture.
He's a mint front guy. Typically, Steele uses dudes like below:

4i/3 Tackle (270-285 range)
0/1 Nose (300+)
4i/5 End/Tackle (260-280)
Buck ("Jack" LB over the H/TE, can be replaced by an extra edge)
Star (nickel hybrid, can be replaced by an extra Edge guy)
FS Field Safety (Range)
BS Bdry Safety (C2 and will work into the box)
FC Field CB (1/3 guy)
BC Bdry CB (more of a C2 guy)

Whoever told you Kevin Steele was going to base in an even front also sold you some stock in Nevin Shapiro's new business venture.
He's a mint front guy. Typically, Steele uses dudes like below:

4i/3 Tackle (270-285 range)
0/1 Nose (300+)
4i/5 End/Tackle (260-280)
Buck ("Jack" LB over the H/TE, can be replaced by an extra edge)
Star (nickel hybrid, can be replaced by an extra Edge guy)
FS Field Safety (Range)
BS Bdry Safety (C2 and will work into the box)
FC Field CB (1/3 guy)
BC Bdry CB (more of a C2 guy)
It was said on here a few times by multiple guys. I agree with you, though. Not only has he done it before, but looking at the actual bodies/recruits indicates otherwise, as I’ve said in this thread and others. So, we shall see.

Advertisement
Agreed and I am also very excited to see what Steele can put together. One question @LuCane What are 303 and 404 fronts? Thank you.

Deserves a longer and better explanation from one of these more qualified dudes who breathe DL or coordinate for a living, but the short of it is the alignment of the front. Two defenders are in either the 3 tech or the 4 tech and one defender is over (shades) the center. The alignment lends itself to wrecking issues with the B gaps, spilling plays outside the tackles, and started being used by teams who wanted an answer to Spread teams’ calls. Especially LBs in conflict.

You typically have two LBs playing inside (envision them a few yards off the LOS but generally aligned with the guards), so there are essentially 5 defenders inside the opposing teams’ tackles. That means the open gaps are outside (C). Clemson (among a ton of other teams) has done it effectively. Problem of course becomes Edge pass rush against spread passing teams. I’m not saying Steele will do this constantly. I’m saying it will be more available to him now with Miller AND Jackson able to give us snaps rocking our opponents’ Center. And, that’s great for our ability to slow down the run.

I’ve said in other posts on this thread and beyond: I generally watch who a team recruits or acquires via Portal. That tells you more than whatever they say or show in some limited practices. And, we’ve recruited a ****boat of bodies who can play odd and tite fronts and generally be multiple in our fronts. What will we ultimately do? I’ll wait to see if I’m invited to Fall practices, I guess. Ha.

Deserves a longer and better explanation from one of these more qualified dudes who breathe DL or coordinate for a living, but the short of it is the alignment of the front. Two defenders are in either the 3 tech or the 4 tech and one defender is over (shades) the center. The alignment lends itself to wrecking issues with the B gaps, spilling plays outside the tackles, and started being used by teams who wanted an answer to Spread teams’ calls. Especially LBs in conflict.

You typically have two LBs playing inside (envision them a few yards off the LOS but generally aligned with the guards), so there are essentially 5 defenders inside the opposing teams’ tackles. That means the open gaps are outside (C). Clemson (among a ton of other teams) has done it effectively. Problem of course becomes Edge pass rush against spread passing teams. I’m not saying Steele will do this constantly. I’m saying it will be more available to him now with Miller AND Jackson able to give us snaps rocking our opponents’ Center. And, that’s great for our ability to slow down the run.

I’ve said in other posts on this thread and beyond: I generally watch who a team recruits or acquires via Portal. That tells you more than whatever they say or show in some limited practices. And, we’ve recruited a ****boat of bodies who can play odd and tite fronts and generally be multiple in our fronts. What will we ultimately do? I’ll wait to see if I’m invited to Fall practices, I guess. Ha.
Thanks @LuCane Greatly appreciated!

It was said on here a few times by multiple guys. I agree with you, though. Not only has he done it before, but looking at the actual bodies/recruits indicates otherwise, as I’ve said in this thread and others. So, we shall see.
I was referring to the royal (you). You know, the editorial?

This is what i thought as well.

He wOuld of started but the snaps would of been lesser.

He outplayed both guys like JHH and Taylor. Both arent good against the run at all at this point in their game...both are better pass rushers. His motors ran much better than both...that being said its moot a the guys we got in the portal have good motors and athleticism as well in Mesidor,Moultrie, Lichtenstein will bring a bit more length and size...PAUSE.

Advertisement
Back