Making the pieces fit on DL

Advertisement
Updated with the addition of Darrell Jackson:

WDE - Mitchell Agude/Jahfari Harvey/ Thomas Davis/ Cyrus Moss/
2T - Darrell Jackson/ Jordan Miller/ Allan Haye Jr/ Ahmad Moten
3T - Jake Lichtenstein/ Leonard Taylor/ Antonio Moultrie/ Jared Harrison-Hunte
SDE - Akheem Mesidor/ Elijah Roberts/ Chantz Williams/ Jabari Ishmael/ Nyjalik Kelly

(After potential Portal exits)

WDE - Mitchell Agude/ Jahfari Harvey/ Thomas Davis/ Cyrus Moss
2T - Darrell Jackson/ Leonard Taylor/ Allan Haye Jr/ Ahmad Moten
3T - Jake Lichtenstein/ Antonio Moultrie/ Elijah Roberts
SDE - Akheem Mesidor/ Chantz Williams/ Nyjalik Kelly/ Jabari Ishmael

Now obviously, there’s a real possibility that at least 1 of, if not both Jordan Miller & JHH end up hitting the Portal.

Maybe we keep them, I would doubt that we do, but if we did that would give us the 2nd most depth at DL in the ACC.

I hope we can keep both, but that’s unrealistic, but hopefully we can keep at least one of them.

I still would bring in DJ Coleman if we can, after Agude & Mesidor I’m not sure we have a big time pass rusher at DE. I was never high on Chantz coming out of HS, he was always a limited speed rusher to me that struggles fighting off blocks due to inability to properly hand fight while engaging. I was high on Harvey but he’s been a disappointment thus far, between the two I think he can at least be a solid situational rusher given the flashes he shown, but otherwise none except for the TF’s who aren’t ready yet have really show premier pass rush ability.

But either way, this staff has a lot of pieces to work with on the DLine, we have a line full of versatile guys & adding Jackson adds even more to that group. A front 4 with Akheem, Jackson, Taylor & Agude on a 3rd down & long with guys Stunting the B & C gaps is a **** scary sight & I know Steele, Wright & Salave’a can’t wait mix up the sub packages & exotic looks we can throw out there vs offenses.
No way any of those guy transfer. Especially not with a Jake Litchenstein to compete against. I just don’t see it.

I don’t know if they are going to transfer, but I wouldn’t be shocked if they did.

There have been 3 DT adds from the Portal this offseason, that will cut their reps in half, they may decide that they think they should be a starter somewhere else.
Jhh is just a Simpson jag that got hyped up after one sack shown on replay
Miller should stay, he’s better off splitting carries with Jackson, his plays shouldn’t be reduced much cuz there’s only 2 1/2 tech guys

Last edited:
No way any of those guy transfer. Especially not with a Jake Litchenstein to compete against. I just don’t see it.
I hope they don’t either, but the thing about college football players is they always want to start, especially upperclassmen & with us bringing in a whole new DLine, they may feel like they need to seek opportunities elsewhere.

Good thing is the deadline is this Sunday, so if they haven’t hit the Portal by Friday one would have to assume they’re staying.

Advertisement
I hope they don’t either, but the thing about college football players is they always want to start, especially upperclassmen & with us bringing in a whole new DLine, they may feel like they need to seek opportunities elsewhere.

Good thing is the deadline is this Sunday, so if they haven’t hit the Portal by Friday one would have to assume they’re staying.

Mario just hit an entire line change on the defensive line. I’ll be shocked if none of the holdovers portal out.

I remember when we last had a DT problem under Golden. Starting guys like Earl Moore and Corey King and being ecstatic about pre-portal transfer like Michael Wyche. I think Ufomba Kamalu actually played in the league a few years. He was our best pickup of the bunch. We fattened up Chickillo to force him inside at one point. Those were dark days.

I’m not saying we’re that desperate right now. But I cannot believe we’re dealing with this situation again. Everyone knows you over sign DTs every class because half of them flame or peter out. Just look at our first Simpson class of Holley, JHH, Blissett. 2 gone and 1 in limbo. can we please learn our lesson now? Over sign these kids.

dont forget the the 'Big' Hertelou!!

I think we should be honest with ourselves. Mesidor and Agude are going to the league with one good year at Miami. Moultrie is in his 5th year so I'll be surprised if he stays beyond this year. I expect all of them to be gone next year which means we'll need another crop of 3-4 DL transfers.

I get the sense Mario is going to eventually get to a point where he wont need mass portal action, so this type of activity may go on for another season or two, till he gets some stability across the roster with 'his' guys

It's great that he's not going with a 5-year rebuilding plan

Advertisement
I get the sense Mario is going to eventually get to a point where he wont need mass portal action, so this type of activity may go on for another season or two, till he gets some stability across the roster with 'his' guys

It will become cherry picking like Alabama does, not mass turnover.

Good news is our depth is protected now in case there are any injuries and we can roll out a legit 8 guys to keep them fresh. This will be a huge advantage in the heat. Also the competition will make them better, as well as the O-Line. If they are not carrying their weight they’ll be watching. We need this type of competition to get back to a championship caliber team.

@GOCANES05 The guy who benefits the most by far from this Jackson commit is Leonard Taylor. He suddenly went from being a guy I was worried wouldn't hold up being targeted and pounded by double teams and blocking RBs to the guy I'm most looking forward to seeing grow into the gunner DT role. Jackson's going to command that double or that RB attention now more often than not, or at least 50/50. Now Taylor will be free to EAT. And they've both got 3 years eligibility.

I really hope and expect that Salave'a will rotate in 5-6 guys at DT to keep these kids fresh. We're about ready to crush teams in the second half especially. They will not hold up to our DL onslaught.
@grover , spot on 🙌🎯

I told myself when Mario was hired and it was revealed that the budget would actually be a thing that I would wipe the slate clean from everything I knew about this team over the past 15 years....
Everything has changed in how things operate now so my thinking is just appreciate Mario doing his thing.... If he feels we need a full scale roster purge then so be it... let it happen...
I'm thankful for any athlete that's come here to play and wish them all well but if ya gotta go then you gotta go...

Advertisement
Like all threads this got derailed too. The addition of Darrell Jackson gives us another consideration. *Please remember many of these guys interchangeable My take:

LDE Agude/Mesidor/Chantz/Roberts/Kelly/Davis
DT: Jackson/Miller/Haye
DT: Taylor/JHH/Moten
RDE: Lichtenstein/Moultrie/Harvey/Moss/Davis/Ismael

Agree but it’s gonna take 2 more transfer cycles to get to that point imo

I think we should be honest with ourselves. Mesidor and Agude are going to the league with one good year at Miami. Moultrie is in his 5th year so I'll be surprised if he stays beyond this year. I expect all of them to be gone next year which means we'll need another crop of 3-4 DL transfers.
Does not seem to be much of a problem for us in the portal.

Advertisement
Am I crazy for thinking this is the deepest d line room we’ve had since early/mid 2000’s?

Last edited:
Am I wrong for thinking this is the deepest d line room we’ve had since early/mid 2000’s?
Bill Hader Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

Am I wrong for thinking this is the deepest d line room we’ve had since early/mid 2000’s?
One thing is for sure, this is now (expecting a portal exit) the most versatile DL we’ve had in nearly 2 decades. So long as Miller sticks around, the additions of Jackson and Mesidor change the entire outlook. Specifically, the addition of Jackson really allows Steele a legitimate, sustainable path to playing those 303 and 404 fronts he’d probably like to utilize against many of our spread opponents.

We now have a few perfect pieces for the front, and while Jackson isn’t the traditional ‘big, wide, immovable’ human (looks like he can move his feet, too) people think about as 0 techs to shade or head up the center, he and Miller can definitely make it happen how we need it. Plus, we don’t need to sit here praying for Allen Haye to make some magical leap.

The Jackson pickup makes up for the big NT we lost to Auburn. I don’t think it can go overstated how important it will be for us. Extremely excited to see what Steele puts together now.

False information - he started the final game of the season.
Like all threads this got derailed too. The addition of Darrell Jackson gives us another consideration. *Please remember many of these guys interchangeable My take:

LDE Agude/Mesidor/Chantz/Roberts/Kelly/Davis
DT: Jackson/Miller/Haye
DT: Taylor/JHH/Moten
RDE: Lichtenstein/Moultrie/Harvey/Moss/Davis/Ismael
I know he was a freshman but Jackson didn’t start for Maryland last year… he is not a penciled in starter yet, let’s temper the expectations

Advertisement
Back