Louisville transfer LB KJ Cloyd commits to Miami

View as article
Advertisement
Corey flagg was the middle linebacker when we got blown out by fsu he was the starting linebacker when middle Tennessee state beat us or how about Duke save me with those weak *** stats that dudes average at best and not someone who should be starting for the Miami hurricanes

I'm not a big Corey Flagg fan...he's got limitations...but he's not a bum bum.

Most of this board LOVED Shaq Quarterman. Corey Flagg is basically Shaq Quarterman after federal and state income taxes.
Happy Big Brother GIF by MOODMAN

Come on man😂😂😂😂😂 Big Pause😂💪🏾

Advertisement
Corey flagg was the middle linebacker when we got blown out by fsu he was the starting linebacker when middle Tennessee state beat us or how about Duke save me with those weak *** stats that dudes average at best and not someone who should be starting for the Miami hurricanes
Exactly also Clyde played in a 3/4 now he’s in a 425 maybe it’ll fit him better

Advertisement
He also took a huge amount of snaps compared to this guy so the stat comps are laziness

Two down thumper. Much better going forward than backwards. I think you want him being the stack LB or mugging gaps in tite fronts.

Definitely don’t want him being the flat/seam defender in my mind. If an offense sees him having coverage responsibility they’re going to eat him alive on play-action deep overs, where he struggles to get depth.

Very similar player to Flagg in my view, but has more thump and size. Not sure on instincts, as you just don’t have enough sample size.

Can really help on specials and with depth. Not a challenger to start unless injury hits.

Every new coach likes to bring in an old head to help teach their system, be a good dude in the locker room, and help them feel “safe” with a guy in the room who knows what they want.

Normally those guys selected to play that role are great dudes, smart, tough, reliable players.

He also took a huge amount of snaps compared to this guy so the stat comps are laziness

Yep. From the Sports Illustrated article when he entered the portal:

he 6-foot-2, 229-pound inside linebacker played in 12 of Louisville's 13 games this past season, but did not have a consistant role on the defense. Out of the 879 total defensive snaps by the Cardinals in the 2023 season, Cloyd played in just 140 them, with the games against USF and Wake Forest being the only times he played more than 20 snaps. He finished the year with 15 tackles (nine solo), two quarterback hurries and a fumble recovery.

In his one year at Juco, he "collected 46 tackles (16 solo), 3.5 tackles for loss, 2.0 sacks and a forced fumble" per SI. And his HUDL claims he runs a 4.52 40.

He was the #2 LB coming out of Juco in 2020 and was going to start at UL this season. Plus Nicholson wants him. So not sure why CIS is down on the take. We were desperate for more talent at LB and he fits the bill.

Advertisement
Is this guy going to give us better production than a Ragone? Depth is only depth if they can contribute. At this point we're just bringing in bodies through the portal. I can't say, definitively, that some of these guys they're bringing in are better than what's here. If guys like this can give us snaps & not be total liabilities then great.

Do all these portal transfers not affect our 85 limit? Is the 85 still in place? If so, I prefer using the portal to polish off your roster with a legit starter/contributor. I know Mario is way more deliberate than this, but alot of the portal movement just seems like throwing stuff at the wall & see if it sticks.
Most of those types have already been picked over. Unless they're a recent graduate, no one new is going to enter the portal.

Yep. From the Sports Illustrated article when he entered the portal:

he 6-foot-2, 229-pound inside linebacker played in 12 of Louisville's 13 games this past season, but did not have a consistant role on the defense. Out of the 879 total defensive snaps by the Cardinals in the 2023 season, Cloyd played in just 140 them, with the games against USF and Wake Forest being the only times he played more than 20 snaps. He finished the year with 15 tackles (nine solo), two quarterback hurries and a fumble recovery.

In his one year at Juco, he "collected 46 tackles (16 solo), 3.5 tackles for loss, 2.0 sacks and a forced fumble" per SI. And his HUDL claims he runs a 4.52 40.

He was the #2 LB coming out of Juco in 2020 and was going to start at UL this season. Plus Nicholson wants him. So not sure why CIS is down on the take. We were desperate for more talent at LB and he fits the bill.
With all the visits this weekend, most are deflated expecting a heavy weight would fall. If announced during the week, the response would probably be different.

Let’s be fair. Flagg took way more snaps than Cloyd did
FACTS. I was just about to say….. the difference is that Flagg started and got major snaps, playing on SUBPAR LB groups (by the standards of this program) over his career. Cloyd hasn’t. He’s actually had guys playing in front of him that can play. Not saying that he’s some hidden gym that’s gonna come in and compete for a starting job. Just trying to explain the difference in stats

Advertisement
Not gonna go and bash or hype the kid, he hasn't played a ton, but looks the part and seems to bring in some athletic ability. He is familiar with Nicholson and he wants him in, so I'm good with it unless he shows me that he can't play.

It also takes pressure of Popo or any young buck to contend for a starting job. Let them compete and develop and grow.

In their spring game he was the starter. He’s #23. Doesn’t take long to find him.

Two things that stood out to me watching Louisville’s spring game...

1.) They are going to be absolute doodoo this year.

2.) Everyone likes to rag on Miami for their fan support, but geezus, there might be 1000 people at their spring game.

Advertisement
Back