Longtime heavy booster and Butch supporter says...

Advertisement
Appreciate the info, I believe you got it from a trusted/reliable source, just believe this time it is bad information.

Mainly, because I just don't see why he would be deciding between Miami or USC. He knows everything about the PAC-12/West Coast. USC has everything Miami has to offer and way more. The only thing Miami has to offer is an easier path to the conference championship but Kelly has already proven he could win the PAC-12 at a lesser school.

And even if this were true, we'd still, ultimately, have to compete with other possible openings, mainly Texas/LSU/Georgia. I expect one of those to open up, maybe even two. Highly doubt we land Kelly but if we do, we're officially back.

From just before the time Golden was fired, so many random rumors have come up that, while I'll drop a hint here and there if I hear something, sometimes I choose not to create a thread about it because I find it completely absurd or out of left field. In other words, just sounds like nonsense. Or, sometimes, it's not my info and I can't say I trust it.

As I've said in the past, I'm not the guy typically with any inside information. That's D$. A couple months ago, out of the blue, I was told Butch was already being talked to by some decision makers. "It was being worked on, supposedly." This was before Golden was fired, as some of you might remember. At that time, most people (including myself) thought he wouldn't actually be considered because of the UNC scandal and supposed hard feelings from his previous exit. Anyway, ends up true that he's a real option.

The point of this thread is to introduce another real option being worked on:

Chip Kelly. Less than an hour ago was the first time I've heard his name mentioned by someone connected to the program. The context was simple. He was actually asked about Mario Cristobal. This is a Hispanic guy, so you'd think/worry there's some support. "Hates the Mario option" is closer to where he stands there. More importantly, he threw out that it looks more like Chip Kelly right now than other names discussed, if we can beat out USC. Things are actually moving on this front. Specifically, "Kelly is between us and USC right now." I cringe a little in hopes it's true we have that kind of status, but that is an exact quote. I interpreted everything to mean Kelly is actually considering us, and that he's more likely to come back to college than I previously thought.

For those of you who wanted to "shoot for the stars," apparently we are. And, that's the point of this thread. I actually hate all of this stuff, as it's impossible to know what is real and what will actually happen. But, if this guy says it's a name being worked on, I believe him. He has no real reason to f* around or create misinformation. If it means I'll sound ridiculous for passing it along, so be it. If we somehow end up with a bottom level option, I'll now be incredibly disappointed.

Proceed with what's expected...

#playersnotnotified
#GrudentoMiami
#clickbait
#fml

I concur.

As an admin, I'm not sure why you're verbally jousting....

There's no reason to do it. If someone doesn't agree with content in your post, who cares?

Here's the expected bull****. Few things that bother me more than being called a liar, but it's inevitable from people behind a computer screen. So, I get it. Not a clue who you are because I don't recognize your screen name, but a lot of posters on here know me off the board and I've had the same username for 2 decades.

If you're up for a challenge, dig through anything you can find on the last coaching search. Not a peep from me because I didn't hear anything from anyone.

Keep your shirt on, tough guy. No one said a word about you.

You consider that a tough guy response? Without even a personal attack? Ha. Got it. Have at it, man.

You're rustled. And I STILL haven't said anything about you.

You insinuated this is nonsense, so I responded. I already admitted being called a liar is particularly bothersome to me. Nonetheless, I'm not going to personally attack you or pull a tough guy act because, ultimately, it's a message board. I'll drop this now.

Advertisement
Appreciate the info, I believe you got it from a trusted/reliable source, just believe this time it is bad information.

Mainly, because I just don't see why he would be deciding between Miami or USC. He knows everything about the PAC-12/West Coast. USC has everything Miami has to offer and way more. The only thing Miami has to offer is an easier path to the conference championship but Kelly has already proven he could win the PAC-12 at a lesser school.

And even if this were true, we'd still, ultimately, have to compete with other possible openings, mainly Texas/LSU/Georgia. I expect one of those to open up, maybe even two. Highly doubt we land Kelly but if we do, we're officially back.

#ChickenLitteFan

I think we'll have to disagree on Erickson. He was a very good coach in my opinion, but not a difference maker....

His recruiting was....suspect....and he went outside the state of Florida a bit too much....

But you are right, he was quite good as a game day coach and had an interesting offense that was fun to watch - and lots of big backs during his time - Jones, Stewart, Bennett.....

Well, the only other guy that coached on the west coast did decent here (Erickson).

However, Kelly sounds much better than Erickson (Erickson wasn't a difference maker coach at all)...

I didn't really follow Oregon while he was there, but I know they won a pile of games....

This would be a solid hire if we can win out over USC. We would win championships with him....

I just hope he has a solid DC in his back pocket...

I think it's time to YouTube a few of Oregon's games from his tenure to learn a bit more about him....

Erickson was a very good game day coach and yes, he was a difference maker...If Kelly has any interest we need to rol out the red carpet and back up the Brinks truck. This is one of the only few on the planet who can actually get us back to winning championships. He is a perfect fit for Miami.

If he can adapt his offense to fit in Nick Foles, Sam Bradford, even Mark Sanchez don't see why he couldn't make Kaaya work.

First of all, CONGRATS to Laranaga's hoops for just winning the PR tourney.

-------------

Chip's "adaptation" simply isn't very good. The Eagles O is mostly pretty sad. Chip needs a dominant QB, just like everybody else. Otherwise, he seems average, at best.

I believe that Butch would build a more fundamentally sound team.

Advertisement
He's the biggest faqbot on the board. Follows me around like a puppy because I smashed him a few weeks ago.

LMAO. Can't wait to see how "rustled" you guys are when you realize that there was a negative 10% chance of Chip Kelly coming to Miami. And you fell for it. Got all excited for nothing.

What was your last screen name that got banned?

Lu- thanks for the info buddy. Been on the boards for nearly
2 decades and can say Lu is as legit as they come.

Amazing possibility and opportunity for Miami. We'd extremely lucky to land him. Tremendous hire and a guy who could change the entire dynamic that we currently have here within 1 year.

I think there are some naturals for him at USC though, particularly with recruiting because of his history at Oregon. The advantage is only early on imo because I think he would gain ground quickly at Miami.

He's an intelligent guy. He's working both programs trying to get the best deal possible. Anything is possible. From a fan standpoint, Shalala is gone. Our usual salary issues may not be as much of a problem anymore.

Bottom line- if our menu consists of Chip Kelly and Butch, we are in good shape.

Advertisement
This is the closest thing to good news we've had around here for as long as I can remember.

I've been saying it on this board since the day Golden was fired...I wouldn't even THINK about hiring a coach until I get a chance to at least talk to Kelly and hear him say no. He's worth waiting on...he's worth missing out on a few candidates for...cause at the end of the day if we were to get him, everything would change overnight.

Kelly's scheme + South Florida skill position talent = multiple titles in the next 5 years and an overnight top 20 ranking.

Pray to everything you believe in this comes to fruition. This would be the break this program has been needing and waiting for....for a decade.

Lu, I pray you are not toying with us (and I have no reason to supsect you would do that). 48 hours ago I thought we were destined to see Mario Cristobal as our next HC. Now Chip Kelly is allegedly a legit possibility. I may not sleep tonight. I am too amped up. Chip Kelly as HC of the U would be surreal. Please let this happen. We've suffered long enough.

Advertisement
When Sam was interviewed about his time as AD and advice he gave Blake, he said that you got to go after the guys that everyone says would never come here. Said they told him the same thing about Jimmy Johnson.

Well in 24 hours we have had coach info from D$ & Lu. Kliff to Chip. Good God man! Nobody knows ****. All the "sources" suck. We won't know soon enough. Want Butch but would love Chip. If you told me we will get 1 of them I could finally sleep well.

Last edited:
Lu, I pray you are not toying with us (and I have no reason to supsect you would do that). 48 hours ago I thought we were destined to see Mario Cristobal as our next HC. Now Chip Kelly is allegedly a legit possibility. I may not sleep tonight. I am too amped up. Chip Kelly as HC of the U would be surreal. Please let this happen. We've suffered long enough.

Well remember, just because Miami wants Chip doesn't mean he wants us. But the good news is, you can't go after Chip and then hire Mario. Haha if you're reaching that high you'll at least settle for a much better hire.

Advertisement
Back