Lol @ Lingard

Not true, you just need to be a blue chip that signs an LOI with them. Whether you ever qualify, don’t play or leave midway through your first semester because your QB tries to sexually assault you is irrelevant.
1630439061177.jpeg

Advertisement
I have no idea why this has been universally accepted as true, but it's absolutely false. Lingard was 100% ahead of Cam on the depth chart before his knee injury.

Lingard unfortunate knee injury, bad choice in transfer - but it's a fact Lingard was ahead of Cam before he got injured.

I seriously doubt this. Especially since all the contemporaneous reports were about him running up the backs of his offensive lineman.

Lets see what @DMoney has to say.

I’ll admit it if I’m wrong. But my recollection was that he wasn’t beating anybody out before or after he got injured.

I seriously doubt this. Especially since all the contemporaneous reports were about him running up the backs of his offensive lineman.

Lets see what @DMoney has to say.

I’ll admit it if I’m wrong. But my recollection was that he wasn’t beating anybody out before or after he got injured.
Lingard’s issue from Day 1 was contact balance and wiggle. He had legit speed. The two top guys were Homer and Dallas and I don’t recall who was third. My murky recollection is that it was a rotation.

Harris has proven to be the better player, with or without injury.

Larry Bluestein had it right from jump street. Lorenzo should have played LB. I always root for players who chose to be a CANE out of high school even if they transfer because sometimes **** don’t work out for whatever reason so I root for them to succeed unless they playing us then they can kick rocks. WITH THAT BEING SAID I REFUSE to root for any former Cane that transfers to one of our rival schools (mainly UF, FSU, and ND) so **** ALL UM TRANSFERS THAT GO TO THOSE SCHOOLS. No offense Lorenzo nothing personal it’s just what it is!!!
Does anyone know if the UM staff even asked him to switch to LB?

Lingard’s issue from Day 1 was contact balance and wiggle. He had legit speed. The two top guys were Homer and Dallas and I don’t recall who was third. My murky recollection is that it was a rotation.

Oh yeah that’s right, his first year would’ve been Homer or Dallas - no chance he would’ve broken in there. Those are both NFL running backs.

I believe you were 100% correct it was contact balance, he went down fairly easily into the line, but I also heard vision was an issue. I may be wrong there but I recall that. Either way, the fact that he’s not even getting any mention in the depth chart at Florida might mean that RB is just not his position.

As far as his speed? It’s absolutely legitimate. He has incredible straight line speed. But he has yet to show skill characteristics of a good college running back, maybe eventually he proves me wrong, or maybe find another way to use that speed on the football field. Who knows.

Advertisement

He had a strange running style and ran straight up like a 300M hurdler. Combine that straight up running style with a lack of wiggle and he was liable to get hurt out there.

@DMoney & @OriginalCanesCanesCanes - 100% Cam has had a far better career than Lingard. There's no argument against that.

BUT - we don't have to skew facts to make that case. Here's what actually happened....

Stats at the time of Lingards injury in the UVA game in 2018:

Lingard - 17-136 yds-8.0 ypc-2 TD's
Cam - 6-27 yds-4.5 ypc-0 TD's

Savannah St - Lingard had 3 carries and a TD before Cam got his 1st carry
Toledo - Lingard got 3 carries, Cam got 0
FIU - Lingard got 10 carries, Cam 5. Lingard got 3 carries before Cam's 1st carry
UVA - Lingard had 2 KO returns and a ST tackle before getting hurt. Cam didn't get on the field again until 3 games later when DeeJay was having fumbling problems.

Lingard was clearly ahead of Cam, as well as playing on ST coverage and KO returns (which Cam has never done). The coaches were clearly trying to find ways to get Lingard on the field more than Cam.

BUT - the fact Lingard was ahead of Cam on the depth chart in no way negates the fact that Cam has had a much better career.

Last edited:
Running back is not a position that is held back by politics. He isn't playing because he ******* stinks and whatever + attributes he brings to the table are offset by being unable to do a lot of other ****, to the point he is a liability out there. Not difficult. He wouldn't have played here either. He was immediately behind Cam Harris the moment he stepped foot on campus and he would have been behind every freshmen on the depth chart.

RB's need to be able to pick up complicated blitz schemes or your QB gets killed. If you can't master blocking, you aren't going to play. Because defenses can easily run blitz a one-dimensional RB when he's in.

To digress, fans always want to play the shiny new object, and think that their own coaches are in cahoots to sabotage their program and their very own jobs and their family's wellbeing. If a RB can't read a blitz, he's not playing. If a LB can't pick ups his reads and step in the right direction, he's not playing. Coaches spend months on the practice field coaching and evaluating. Occam's Razor.

Advertisement
Advertisement
RB's need to be able to pick up complicated blitz schemes or your QB gets killed. If you can't master blocking, you aren't going to play. Because defenses can easily run blitz a one-dimensional RB when he's in.

To digress, fans always want to play the shiny new object, and think that their own coaches are in cahoots to sabotage their program and their very own jobs and their family's wellbeing. If a RB can't read a blitz, he's not playing. If a LB can't pick ups his reads and step in the right direction, he's not playing. Coaches spend months on the practice field coaching and evaluating. Occam's Razor.
The importance of pass blocking is an often repeated thing, but it's really such a very small % of importance for what a RB does.

What's important is the ability to run the ball. You don't have to be good in pass protection, you just have to not be absolutely terrible.

Now that u think about it, did he even do any recruiting?
Apparently not .... I mean we have no one else to start at DE except Zach??? Really??? Dude is going on year 6 and we haven't developed any talent at all to fill that spot?? Instead he switches positions after sitting out a year, gets roasted in the bowl game and now he's starting against Bama.....
Really says alot about what we have recruited at DE since Zach has been here.... Just messed up...

Advertisement
….Lingard was clearly ahead of Cam, as well as playing on ST coverage and KO returns (which Cam has never done). The coaches were clearly trying to find ways to get Lingard on the field more than Cam.

BUT - the fact Lingard was ahead of Cam on the depth chart in no way negates the fact that Cam has had a much better career.

Ok 😜

Yeah - it's just funny how things are remembered sometimes.

Even though Lingard was clearly ahead of Cam as Freshmen, Cam was clearly ahead of Lingard as Sophomores. But then again, Lingard was clearly behind walk-on Jimmy Murphy as a Sophomore - which kind of undermines it being a straight "talent" argument.

Narrative is higher on the depth chart than facts - that's for sure.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back