Lol @ Lingard

Youre playing semantics or getting caught up in wordplay.. There is a difference between their place and talent, especially when they are coming in at different times...Cam Harris was the better player as soon as he arrived on campus. Sound better? The point still stands.

Not an unfounded take...check the forums, plenty of people thought Harris was better as a prospect before they stepped foot on campus.
Correct - talent and and place on the depth chart are 2 completely separate things. The more talented player isn't always higher on the depth chart.

I feel like you think I'm saying Lingard was higher than Cam on the depth chart as Freshman to prove Lingard was more talented - and I'm not. I'm saying it because it's a fact that's gotten skewed. And it's weirdly a fact that's gotten skewed to the point that it's been accepted as true - so I'm trying to correct that.

Saying Cam was immediately higher on the depth chart is just wrong. It has nothing to do with their talent, or semantics & wordplay - it's just a fact.

For Example:
- I can say Chaney was the most talented RB on the roster last year, but I can't say he was higher on the depth chart than Cam, because that never happened.
- I can say Duke Johnson was more talented than Mike James from Day 1, but I can't say Duke was higher on the depth chart, because that never happened.

So yes - saying "Cam Harris was the better player as soon as he arrived on campus" does sounds better. There's no need to distort the facts about the depth chart. IMO - denying Lingard was ever higher than Cam on the depth chart, on top of being incorrect, just seems odd and unnecessary. It's pretty simple to prove Cam is better - just point to the stats.

Last edited:
Advertisement
This board is the best. Back when Lingard committed, folks on here called him Edgerrin James, program changer, and the best back in the nation. Tweed’s praise was being sung on every page. And his running style? I don’t remember one word being said about him being too stiff, or only a speed back.

I do remember there being some concern about A) the style of offense he played in
B) the level of competition he played against

but that was only a handful of posters. Most people, myself included were excited about this big dude who ran 4.4. I knew something was amiss by midway through that first season when he didn’t get a single carry after FIU. The coaches didn’t bother to find a way to give him some touches in a blowout win over UNC? I think they knew they had a dud on hand by then

I do remember there being some concern about A) the style of offense he played in
B) the level of competition he played against

but that was only a handful of posters. Most people, myself included were excited about this big dude who ran 4.4. I knew something was amiss by midway through that first season when he didn’t get a single carry after FIU. The coaches didn’t bother to find a way to give him some touches in a blowout win over UNC? I think they knew they had a dud on hand by then
I was excited about Lingard too, but there were legit concerns about him as you pointed out. To set the scene at the time, CIS staff writers were comparing Lingard to Todd Gurley, nd that was AFTER he seeing him in a full Spring practice, and there weren't too many people disagreeing with that. The comparisons for incoming freshman are consistently comical and way over the top.

But I wouldn't use Richts weird *** rotations and depth charts to determine talent

2016 - Gus & Homer couldn't get carries behind Walton & Yearby in a FAU blowout game - and they're certainly not duds.
2017 - Homer couldn't get any carries over Walton in ACC games, even with Walton not being 100%.
2018 - Yes, Lingard couldn't get any touches ina blowout UNC game, but neither did Cam. But Choc did (so what sense does that make?). It would be another 6 games after FIU, and another 3 games after Lingard got hurt before Cam got another touch - and that was mostly because DeeJay was having fumbling problems. But Cam certainly is no dud.

Sometimes rotations and playing time is just weird and don't make much sense. Sometimes an RB has more than enough talent to get touches, but can't get those touches unless RB's ahead of them stumble. There's a bit of luck involved.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Lingard with 71 yd game tying TD for Akron against Indiana
the office toby GIF

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Back