Let's Go USA!

I don't know, but a team of guys like say Darren Sproles, or Tyreek Hill (shifty little dudes you can't catch in a phone booth) playing soccer from youth might be interesting
They would have to be playing from the time they are babies. It isn't a sport you just "pick up" when older (a la basketball big men or football linemen).

Advertisement
baseball is a bigger cuban sport. soccer is big for the south americans and europeans. catch high level soccer on saturday mornings when they play EPL and whenever El Classico is played in la liga
Yea, baseball and boxing are big with Cubans

I'm with you... I've given soccer a chance but it just doesn't interest me. I grew up in the US and soccer just wasn't played much before... used to see it on Spanish programming only, but immigration slowly changed that. I can agree to disagree about futbol as long as it's civil. But living in Miami I've had soccer encounters that have left a sour taste in my mouth. I've been to sports bars that had soccer plastered on all screens, and even La Carreta during football season playing soccer on TVs, and they wouldn't change it... ironically Cubans aren't into soccer.
Regardless, I agree with Ellen... "be kind to one another".
LMAO. I watch Men's soccer although not religiously. The woman's game doesn't do it for me. I hear what you saying about the old days. I remember a friend decided to play soccer as a kid. I laughed and said that's for girls. Until the Colombians showed up in Miami around the mid 80's did I realize it was a sport for men.

They would have to be playing from the time they are babies. It isn't a sport you just "pick up" when older (a la basketball big men or football linemen).

Garcon played down here when he was a kid with mu buddy and im told he was really good but football makes the money and he knew that. so whose to say some of these guys haven't been playing since youth?

Advertisement
LMAO. I watch Men's soccer although not religiously. The woman's game doesn't do it for me. I hear what you saying about the old days. I remember a friend decided to play soccer as a kid. I laughed and said that's for girls. Until the Colombians showed up in Miami around the mid 80's did I realize it was a sport for men.
And that sums up exactly why the USMNT is so awful compared to the world's soccer powers. Not being critical to you individually, just saying that story illustrates how the attitude towards soccer has always been in the US. Very few young athletes have any interest in playing the sport; and understandably so, to some extent. Until that changes, we'll never be any good other than a flash in the pan here and there. It's a shame, but it is what it is.

And that sums up exactly why the USMNT is so awful compared to the world's soccer powers. Not being critical to you individually, just saying that story illustrates how the attitude towards soccer has always been in the US. Very few young athletes have any interest in playing the sport; and understandably so, to some extent. Until that changes, we'll never be any good other than a flash in the pan here and there. It's a shame, but it is what it is.
Exactly...

Soccer is a very, very difficult sport along with something like tennis and golf, you can't just pick up these sports at 18-20 and become a superstar at the next level.

We all love football but except for something like QB it isn't all that difficult to pick up

Advertisement
@For_The_U
So, is Pulisic our flash in the pan?
I enjoy watching the kid play.
I think he is the most skilled player to ever wear a US jersey, and he's only 20 years old. His technical abilities, vision, and maybe most importantly, his confidence have grown tremendously during his time in the Bundisliga. To me he looks like he's on another level than the rest of the guys he is playing with. I expect that will only continue as he joins Chelsea. Though HurricaneHauk makes a good point that the playstyle in the Premier League is so different from what he was used to at Dortmund. But I think he'll do fine and continue to develop at a high level, and for the USMNT his move there is huge!

But unfortunately we just don't have enough around him. The old guard needs to go. Period. I wouldn't be surprised if this Gold Cup is the last you see of those guys (Bradley, Altidore, Gonzalez, etc). And while there are a few youngsters I'm excited about, there is nowhere near enough talent on the US roster for Pulisic to be able to do anything great with achievement-wise. It was a **** crime that he missed out on the last World Cup. Sadly, I wouldn't be THAT shocked if we missed out again. Though odds are high we'll make it. I couldn't be more excited about Pulisic, but it would take 11 players of Pulisic's caliber for us to compete against the world soccer powers.

So, no, he's not what I meant by an occasional flash in the pan. He's a generational talent (in terms of US soccer) and we should all try and enjoy every chance we have to see him perform. But IMO he arrived at a really bad time and sadly I don't think he'll accomplish much with the international team. What I meant by that is we may have a few moments here and there where a starting 11 really gels and we make a nice run like we did in 2002 when we reached the World Cup quarterfinals vs Germany or like the time we beat Spain in the Confederation Cup, etc. But until we have a full roster of guys as naturally talented as Pulisic, we'll never achieve anything sustained. As much as I love Landon Donovan, a team full of players at his talent level just isn't good enough to beat the soccer gods consistently.

I agree, there’s always outrage one way or the other. But if she doesn’t want to go to the White House, it’s a free country, she doesn’t have to. It won’t stop me from celebrating the accomplishments of our national team. We can’t expect for people to agree with us politically 100% of the time. That’s just the way it is.

Go, not go. Hate Trump. Love Trump. I really don’t care either way. Diversity of thought is what makes America great, believe it or not.
Has nothing to do with Trump. One ***** threw the flag on the ground. There should a basic standard of decency and conduct for athletes who represent the country.

Advertisement
Has nothing to do with Trump. One ***** threw the flag on the ground. There should a basic standard of decency and conduct for athletes who represent the country.

People like you are always looking for reason to be outraged.

Nobody “threw” the flag down on the ground. That’s just hyperbole on your part.

What happened is they were doing some kind of a choreographed celebration, and the one player carelessly dropped the flag.

You know there are some people that are not aware of that that’s bad protocol. I’ll bet a lot of people aren’t aware of it. Or don’t remember it, if they were told.

I didn’t see anything malicious or premeditated or anything like that.

Was it careless and stupid and therefore possibly disrespectful? Yes. I don’t like to see the flag treated that way, and I would never do it, nor would I teach my kids to do that. But people do dumb stuff sometimes when they’re celebrating.

But at the same time, another player came and picked it up and the girl that originally dropped it helped her by handing it to her.

And anyway what we were talking about all happened before the celebration. At the end of the day people are angry because one of the players was disrespectful towards the president and said she won’t go to the White House. I don’t agree with that, I think she should put the politics aside and go to the house of the people as a sign of respect to the country. But if it was Obama I would want the player to go as well. I think you always set your politics aside when you’re representing the country. But this one player(s) didn’t. So what? You give her more attention and license by your crazy anger

But it’s a free country that’s her choice. And you’ll notice you don’t even know what my politics are.

Last edited:
Lmao soccer and most sports are about ALOT more than physical abilities. The Rock has better measurables than every HOF D-lineman how did that help him ? Usain bolt is faster than every human in history and played soccer growing up for years and he is still trash. Y’all don’t know **** about soccer so I get it but it’s still ridiculous the things you guys are saying

Are you sure about that Rock statement? I never heard that before.

Usain bolt is also probably not coordinated enough. Someone like Allen Iverson would dominate in soccer.

YOu know what country doesn't allow their athletes to throw the flag on the floor? North Korea. Maybe you should watch their events instead.

Advertisement
speed quickness means nothing if you can’t do all that while controlling the ball. Nash, Hakeem, Kobe all grew up playing soccer but weren’t good enough so switched to basketball and won MVP’s
Agreed, but the guys you mentioned are all way bigger than most soccer players. Like people throw out "what if Jordan played soccer?" He's too big. It's guys under 6 feet 150 to 185 ish who can change direction and have quickness we should be targeting. You can't teach that speed and elusiveness, you can sometimes teach the skill.

Are you sure about that Rock statement? I never heard that before.

Usain bolt is also probably not coordinated enough. Someone like Allen Iverson would dominate in soccer.
yep, it's not just being fast, it's being able to change direction. Think of some of the really quick and small guys in the NFL like a Darren Sproles.

We're in a sadder state of affairs than we think when you see how many people put political credence in the actions or opinions of athletes and actors.

**** when I played in college our red headed, fast as **** Irish kick off returner wouldn't take his helmet off during the anthem. Said it was his personal protest until the British got out of Northern Ireland. Nobody said anything, or made a fuss over it.
And it's honestly not people having issues with politics in sports. It's people having issues with DIFFERENT politics than they have that is the issue. Last time I checked, we were still able to speak our mind in the US.

Advertisement
Back