Let’s Talk

Advertisement
He and Willie Taggart are very different situations. Taggart wasn't a first time head coach, and it was clear as day he wasn't going to right that ship. You could argue that about Manny after losing to FIU, but the difference is the Seminole boosters. They're capable of holding the AD hostage. They raised $ millions to get rid of him and would not be refused. Meanwhile, we struggle to raise $10,000 so an out-of-work landscaper can drive a sign with incorrect grammar around campus for a few hours. While inside the Hecht, somebody's ******* daughter is telling our biggest boosters to comb her back hair.

That might be the most refrained way I’ve seen you comment on this.

I've resigned myself to the fact nobody in that **** Hecht center gives a **** about winning and is going to be proactive about the management of the football program right now......so may as well hope Manny figures this out. Thing is, I don't think it will be possible for our apathetic/incompetent management to side step another 6 or 7 win season with this schedule....so I have a good feeling that one way or another, this situation is going to resolve itself after this season if Manny doesn't do the bare minimum and win 9 games.

Lots of speculation using random numbers of wins, as if anyone cares.

The reality is who we lose to.

We just had a BOT finally, collectively, almost get off their ****s for the first time in 20 years. We just had Beta Blake do more behind the scenes maneuvering than he has done in his entire career. Manny is firing guys and mortgaging our future IC slots to produce this year.

With this craptastic schedule, I can only see the BOT tolerating two losses, not because it is a magic number, but because of who our opponents are.

Take the entire schedule. Rank it by difficulty. By the time you lose the third game on that schedule, it's time to make a change. The 9 wins against far crappier teams are not some kind of impressive accomplishment which offsets the 3 losses.

At most, we can only lose 2 of 3 against Michigan State, Virginia, or Virginia Tech, all road games. Any home losses or losses to teams worse than those three will be the death of Manny. Just being honest. Manny has been given everything. He wasn't forced to fire everyone he should have. He wasn't forced to take Alonzo Highsmith. He's gotten every transfer player he has really wanted/needed.

10-2 or he's fired.

let manny stay as long as he wants, even if we fail to meet expectations this year too. he is just too smart and innovative, eventually hes gonna figure out how to turn the ship around.

the best trait manny has is that he isnt stubborn. he will happily fire, hire, and adapt if things go south, if we run manny out we are really blowing it IMO.

Dabo went 6-6 year 2, and im sure clem fans are happy they didnt run him outta town!

Advertisement
Look, Manny should never have been hired in the first place and BJ should be axe for putting the school on the hook for his contract.

Having said that, do not look for the school to pull a Taggart on Manny unless a high profile name shows interest in our program.

I think to Canes Fans Manny is on a short leash.

I think to some of the BOT Manny is a on a short leash.

As they say “luck is when preparation meets opportunity.”

and I’m all for Manny getting lucky this year.

This is the perfect storm to get to 10 wins and bolster his resume, earn a lot of good will. And get recruits excited to jump on board.

I saw someone post a list of the “good teams” we’ll face this fall.

Ppl need to stop. These list of teams we play is trash.

Assuming we are mostly healthy We should feast given what we have at QB and DL alone vs these teams.

My biggest concern is actually WR where we truly have no idea what we have in that group.

Most of the WRs issues the last half
Decade has been Terrible QB play and then add in terrible Oline play with terrible schemes and this is where we are.

I’m really pulling for mark pope because I’m still
Holding on to him having the highest ceiling along with J. Payton.

Advertisement
Did Willie improve at FSU?
It’s laughable that the standard some people are putting forward is “every first year coach disappoints.”

LOL does every first year coach **** the bed and disgrace the entire program? Becuase that’s what we got.

maybe he turns it around maybe he doesn’t, we will know soon enough but acting as if last year wasn’t a catastrophe is insanity.

I’m much more of a believer in X’s and O’s and analytics than I am in things like “chemistry” and “locker room leadership”. Good teams have good game plans and they execute them. Bad teams have bad game plans and then blame losses on non tangible things. There’s a ton info motivational speakers out there who suck as coaches.

If Manny hangs on and winz offseason coach of the year, does he get a trophy?

I’m much more of a believer in X’s and O’s and analytics than I am in things like “chemistry” and “locker room leadership”. Good teams have good game plans and they execute them. Bad teams have bad game plans and then blame losses on non tangible things. There’s a ton info motivational speakers out there who suck as coaches.
Coaches who get players to buy in to mediocre game plans have better results than coaches who have mediocre buy in to good game plans. Coaches in the playoffs get both.

We’ve watched inferior athletes whip us annually because they have work ethic centric team cultures.

Advertisement
It’s laughable that the standard some people are putting forward is “every first year coach disappoints.”

LOL does every first year coach **** the bed and disgrace the entire program? Becuase that’s what we got.

maybe he turns it around maybe he doesn’t, we will know soon enough but acting as if last year wasn’t a catastrophe is insanity.

Yeah because this program wasn't already an underachieving dumpster fire before last yr, right? LMAO. It's easy to say going 6-7, with losses to La.Tech & FIU means "disgracing the entire program" but you have to look at the margin of losses, and the reasons WHY we lost. There is a tremendous amount of parity in CFB, and things can change dramatically from one yr to the next.

In my eyes manny needs to win at least 11+ wins to win me back and deserves zero leeway after last year’s abject performance. Unfortunately I think he’ll still be our coach into 2021 if he gets at least 8 wins, which would be pathetic considering the off season additions and cupcake schedule..
It's absolutely not a cupcake schedule though.

For some reason our fans downplay the ACC (esp. the ACC Coastal) all the time. It's obviously not a murder's row, but there's some good teams in there with future NFL players. We're also everybody's SuperBowl.

Now am I excusing the abject performance of Diaz last year, no.

Obviously we'll know we're 'back' when we rise above it, like Clemson have. We're a million miles away from that level though - anyone that thinks we're even a few years away from that is deluding themselves.

The goal this year is the same goal that it's been for the last 15 years for me. Win 10+ games, win the ACC Coastal, compete in the ACC Championship Game (we'll lose to Clemson) and continue to build and improve for the future.

Do that and you'll turn the heads of these 5 star SoFl kids that we're currently bleeding. It's our only chance or returning to some sort of prominence on the national level.

Advertisement
Coaches who get players to buy in to mediocre game plans have better results than coaches who have mediocre buy in to good game plans. Coaches in the playoffs get both.

We’ve watched inferior athletes whip us annually because they have work ethic centric team cultures.
Much easier to get players to buy into game plans that work. When you have a system that fails consistently like Mark D’Onofrio or Dan Enos, all the positive vibes in the world aren’t going to make it work. Manny Diaz was able to get really good production from his defense in 2016 using the same players who flopped the year prior in a trash system. Show players something that works and they’ll buy in.

It's absolutely not a cupcake schedule though.

For some reason our fans downplay the ACC (esp. the ACC Coastal) all the time. It's obviously not a murder's row, but there's some good teams in there with future NFL players. We're also everybody's SuperBowl.

Now am I excusing the abject performance of Diaz last year, no.

Obviously we'll know we're 'back' when we rise above it, like Clemson have. We're a million miles away from that level though - anyone that thinks we're even a few years away from that is deluding themselves.

The goal this year is the same goal that it's been for the last 15 years for me. Win 10+ games, win the ACC Coastal, compete in the ACC Championship Game (we'll lose to Clemson) and continue to build and improve for the future.

Do that and you'll turn the heads of these 5 star SoFl kids that we're currently bleeding. It's our only chance or returning to some sort of prominence on the national level.

For a Power 5, it is a cupcake schedule.

We play a horrendous OOC schedule, with what "should be" the toughest team (Michigan State) being a program that just dumped its head coach in scandal and had to go through a half-dozen choices to find someone willing to take the job.

The Coastal Division is the weakest in P5.

And the Atlantic cross-divisional opponents are not the toughest teams.

I understand that the ACC is not weak from top-to-bottom, but beyond Clemson, it is very mediocre. Nearly every team can beat nearly every other team, but inconsistently, so you get a bunch of 5-3 and 4-4 conference records.

Cupcake schedule.

Much easier to get players to buy into game plans that work. When you have a system that fails consistently like Mark D’Onofrio or Dan Enos, all the positive vibes in the world aren’t going to make it work. Manny Diaz was able to get really good production from his defense in 2016 using the same players who flopped the year prior in a trash system. Show players something that works and they’ll buy in.
Yeah, the offense checked out early last year.

Advertisement
Back