Let’s talk wide receivers

That’s why I was skeptical with bringing in a OC like Gattis. The same **** happened with Enos, any OC that wants to run a pro style and complex attack at Miami should be fired immediately. I went to the first spring game with Enos and 80% of the players were lost and having to be guided to their spots by position coaches. This years spring game wasn’t as bad but the offense was boring and slow as fck. No explosion whatsoever.

Gattis is a great OC and coach no doubt, but he’s definitely not a fit here in my opinion. At Miami, it should be a no brainer to run a simple spread yet balanced offense predicated on space and speed. We were clamoring for the spread for a decade and we finally got a glimpse of its effectiveness last year when King went down and Lashlee decided to let TVD air it out. We were winning games by simply outscoring our opponents. Now when Mario comes in everyone suddenly forgets about it and decides to give Mario the benefit of the doubt just because. I’m just letting y’all know now, this offense will not be very good and expect the defense to carry the team. Thankfully we have an outstanding QB, because if it wasn’t for that we would really be doomed.
You are getting a bit ahead of things. If Gattis can get it work at MI, it can work here. The WRs still have time to refocus themselves. So Lets see how things go in the first few games. In the spring game, there was no discernable plays where the WRs or others did not know a play (however, playbook may now be more complex) Also, if I recall correctly, the first team offense scored on all drives but 1. However, there were some drops and missed long shots.

Advertisement
The coordinator inherited a bunch of athletes who can’t catch so let blame him
None of these guys had drop issues last year. Everyone was excited to see what these younger guys could do after watching them play in reserve roles last year. Now, there’s a new coordinator who’s also the wide receiver coach and they all of the sudden can’t play? I’m tired of the BS garbage that we need all Americans at every single position to be good. I’m not taking about beating Alabama here. I’m talking about good enough to beat garbage ACC teams.

IF we on a 9 route and the ball in the air with a DB on my hip. There aint no overthinking about it....If ball hits your hands, there is no excuses. Any time the ball in the air it should be every WR should have the mentality to "Go get it".
We don’t line up and run 9 routes all game. It’s a lot of short / intermediate stuff.

Advertisement
People here *****ing about Gattis when we have been previously subjected to the following OCs: Nix, Whipple, Fisch, Coley, Brown, Brown/Dugans, Enos, and Lashlee.
I agree with the overall sentiment but Lashlee being grouped with those guys is straight slander.. Dude took a offense ranked in 100s and made them immediately respectable with no spring in covid year then next season while losing his qb, top 2 back, and multiple olineman also got us good numbers overall.. Hopefully we only improve on that

TVD started 9 games bro I think you are jumping the gun. Restrepo has started how many games? We have not seen TVD work through his progressions and go to 2nd and 3 reads yet. We haven't seen TVD excel in the underneath game.
What does exceling in the underneath game mean? Was that 50 yard flat pass to Rooster not a check down vs UNC? Fairy sure that was not the first read.

Advertisement
Well we can‘t overcome injuries in key spots, if that happens be prepared. It’ll take multiple classes to fix that. Unc and Pit will be tough if healthy.
Yeah can't lose to UNC at home, and Pitt at home without Pickett and Addison. I agree Pittsburgh is a tough team with a good defense.

Last time we saw UNC they looked awful and that was with Howell getting blown out by a very average South Carolina team. Mack will retire at years end imo.

I'm not saying we can't go 8-4, because we can..just that lots of people will be angry with that outcome with this highest paid staff in ACC and TVD at QB.

Unless Redding , Horton , Colbie or Ladson steps up we won’t have a guy who can go up and make difficult catches 1 v 1 like Rambo. He wasn’t big or physical but he had a knack for winning those battles. That’s why I say this can be a solid / consistent group. Just play their roles without trying to be something they aren’t. Imo that’s enough to go with the current te’s, rb’s and qb.
I've been team Horton since before he committed so I'm sticking with that. He seems very coordinated and quick for his size and it sounds like he was actually winning contested catches prior to getting hurt. He may not kill it right away but as the season goes on i think he may fill the role of a diet Rambo to help keep the middle of the field open for the TEs/X.

Advertisement
Receivers were dropping passes during the Spring Game, we saw it ourselves on TV. We’ll see in a couple weeks for ourselves if they corrected this over the summer or not.

X flashed the most out of any of our receivers last year who are still on the team, it’s no surprise he is doing the best in practice. He’s a great athlete - I think he holds a squat record if im not mistaken - and he’s a dedicated and hard worker.

These are things we have seen with our own eyes. There is no narrative to dispel.

All this group has to do is find a couple guys that can just keep the chains moving. There’s no first rounders or Biletnikoff’s winners in that room rn. However, there’s good & workable talent there.

With a plus group of RB’s & TE’s + a really good QB- there should be enough play making to go around. What we lack at receiver- we make up for in other places. Great QB play for one is a big equalizer in CFB.

There’s enough talent at WR that it shouldn’t be a hindrance to our team to achieve realistic goals such as winning the coastal & it should not be used as an excuse.

*they took a kid in Ladson that was risky & most ppl knew what the deal was with him. Maybe Gattis should have got himself a better option out of the portal.

Advertisement
Sure. U hold your opinion and am a kep mine on this one. Not enamored with Lashlee offense.
Well thats not an opinion, the OL got owned at the snap **** near every play. No play caller on earth could have fixed that. Film makes it pretty self explanatory. Rewatch that game and watch both fronts lol. Then tell me how a play caller fixes it. Btw I wasn’t crazy about Lashlee but what he did here was impressive compared to how god awful we’ve been offensively. He made us pretty good. He took over one of the worst actuations in Cfb.

I agree with the overall sentiment but Lashlee being grouped with those guys is straight slander.. Dude took a offense ranked in 100s and made them immediately respectable with no spring in covid year then next season while losing his qb, top 2 back, and multiple olineman also got us good numbers overall.. Hopefully we only improve on that
Didn’t have his starting QB either of those springs either

I totally agree the way all that went down, obviously TVD did his thing, but that was some seriously difficult circumstances

Well thats not an opinion, the OL got owned at the snap **** near every play. No play caller on earth could have fixed that. Rewatch that game and watch both fronts lol. Then tell me how a play caller fixes it. Btw I wasn’t crazy about Lashlee but what he did here was impressive compared to how god awful we’ve been offensively. He made us pretty good. He took over one of the worst actuations in Cfb.
Kinda what happened with UGA and Michigan

Not to defend Gattis, but there was no chance there from what I was watching

Advertisement
Back