Let’s talk wide receivers

Advertisement
i respect your opinion which is why I'm surprised at your position (just as you maybe surprised at mine).
I was early on the TVD hype train going back to the 2nd half of the UVA game when I saw him make throws and show poise that was really uncommon for his age. I think he is an absolute stud and an early round draft pick next year.

As for the underneath game, very good observation, but let’s remember that when the plays were called for a throw to an RB; Harris against CCSU and Rooster against UNC, he took it. I know that is different then a true check down but i don’t see him as a gunslinger at all costs. I also loved the 4th down throw to Rooster and the lollipop throw to Smith against VTech. Maybe I’m too far forward on my skis on this but I’m going with it.
I think currently he projects as early round pick. We also know that last year going into the season Rattler projected as a first round pick. If these WRs can't bail him out on occasion (IE: Rambo last year) and win one on one matchups he will be another casualty.

What does exceling in the underneath game mean? Was that 50 yard flat pass to Rooster not a check down vs UNC? Fairy sure that was not the first read.
How often did he do that? I didn't say he never did it in a game but too often he held onto the ball too long.

There will be a lot of angry fans if this team loses 4 or more games. Would probably mean Miami would lose 2 out of Pittsburgh, UVA, UNC, FSU, Duke, GT, VT.
People also expect Mario to be a miracle worker. We upgraded the DL but can the same be said about any other position yet?
OL?
LB?
CB?
WR???????
RB potential?
QB, TE, S should be good.

I feel the WRs will step up when the lights come on.

But, I’m afraid if they don’t, Gattis will say F it and just mostly pass to TEs & RBs.

Unfortunately, I think that hurts us with our backyard. There is way to many talented WRs in our backyard, so we have to prove we actually like getting the ball to them, so this maybe a battle Gattis might not want to fight, and just make the Offense a bit more easier for the WRs to catch on too.

Advertisement
That’s why I was skeptical with bringing in a OC like Gattis. The same **** happened with Enos, any OC that wants to run a pro style and complex attack at Miami should be fired immediately. I went to the first spring game with Enos and 80% of the players were lost and having to be guided to their spots by position coaches. This years spring game wasn’t as bad but the offense was boring and slow as fck. No explosion whatsoever.

Gattis is a great OC and coach no doubt, but he’s definitely not a fit here in my opinion. At Miami, it should be a no brainer to run a simple spread yet balanced offense predicated on space and speed. We were clamoring for the spread for a decade and we finally got a glimpse of its effectiveness last year when King went down and Lashlee decided to let TVD air it out. We were winning games by simply outscoring our opponents. Now when Mario comes in everyone suddenly forgets about it and decides to give Mario the benefit of the doubt just because. I’m just letting y’all know now, this offense will not be very good and expect the defense to carry the team. Thankfully we have an outstanding QB, because if it wasn’t for that we would really be doomed.
Enos had Jerrin Williams at QB. No offense is gonna do anything with that bum running the show. TVD will make our below average receivers look better than they are. These guys can still run and they will catch balls that are on the money. I expect our offense to be fine especially if our D is all it is said to be.

None of these guys had drop issues last year. Everyone was excited to see what these younger guys could do after watching them play in reserve roles last year. Now, there’s a new coordinator who’s also the wide receiver coach and they all of the sudden can’t play? I’m tired of the BS garbage that we need all Americans at every single position to be good. I’m not taking about beating Alabama here. I’m talking about good enough to beat garbage ACC teams.
So I understand you correctly, we’re blaming Gattis for WRs who can’t perform the most basic attribute of a WR…….catching the ball lol. Outside of Rambo what have the those same WRs done since being under Lashee and now under Gattis?

Last year the passing game was Rambo, TE, Harley the screen play and then sprinkled in freshman WRs. And we still had a bunch of drops from WRs

I think it's a combination of 1 and 4. I'd imagine going from Lashlee's offense to Gattis' is like the first time taking the training wheels off a bike, you're going to need some time to adjust. These guys seem talented enough for the light to eventually turn on.

I may get hate for this but I haven't REALLY liked, or loved, a WR recruit since Ahmmon. Maybe besides JT did I look at their HS tape and say "Yup, that's a star". They've all have just been decent to ok imo. Our best WRs since have been transfers. Do we need multiple 5* to win? Not necessarily but it doesn't hurt. I like Horton and Jacolby's potential.

Punt returns, taking screens to the house, contested catches, YAC, play making ability, route-running.

Last edited:
Advertisement
We strikeout on a bunch of blue chip receivers or does the scheme not make them look good and not get natural separation? Is this a situation where TVD is firing it all over the field and we’re dropping passes even uncovered or does the offense just look like that 1990s borefest we saw during the spring game?

Im just saying we havent recruited as well as people think at that spot. Im talking 99-00-01 type athletes, we haven't been up to our old school caliber thats what I mean. Edit: what your saying is right they are dropping balls and regressing I dont know why im not talking about that, for me I dont like the way the position has been recruited for high caliber top end guys. Not saying they arent talented but I would like for us to grab some sure fire 1st round types there, same like we doing with the OL.
We haven't landed 3 HOF WRs huh?

And poof!!! Z’s recruiting headaches from the past come to pass.

Maybe if we focused on guys THAT WERE GOOD AT BEING A WR instead of guys who are just fast and have “potential“ then maybe we wouldn’t suck.

Btw Jacolby probably just has the yips. He was never one to drop passes.

Advertisement
Btw u man that be talking bout offenses need to be simple...when you get matched up against better teams, u get pummeled like Lashlee did v Clemson. I want the defense to think and have to play discipline. That's what gives you a chance when you play better teams. Players need to step up and I think someone will. Holla back mid season

What complicated offenses light up the big boys?

That wasn’t scheme or plays , that was an Ol being completely overmatched. The plays were over at the snap.

exactly. It’s not like there are a bunch of lower talent teams running “big boy complicated offenses” and lighting up Clemson or UGA.

My biggest concern here is the philosophy shift as it relates to complexity. We’re going from ultra simple, to very (or at least much more) complex. Being multiple is great, if you can make it work. It can also be disastrous if you end up sucking at everything and are good at nothing.

As it stands, it seems like the passing game is lagging behind the running game. To be fair, I’d be more concerned if the running game was worse off. Right now the outside guys don’t look great on the small bit of tape we get.

Who knows? Maybe someone puts together a couple monster games and flips a switch on his confidence. Maybe the group as a whole flips on the confidence.

They can also go in the tank for good and turn in into Pope/Wiggins. Maybe having a competitor at QB and savage head coach has helped them create the mental toughness that Pope and Wiggins never possessed or developed.

It’s cause for concern and they are quite obviously at a crossroads.
Ask yourself this....is that Lashlee simple "even ah caveman can do it" offensive scheme gonna beat the Clemson's or Bama's or UGA's with our current talent?

Advertisement
I follow East St Louis very close (Johnson’s Alma Mater). I definitely thought he would be a WR at A&M instead of DB. He played both ways but I always thought WR was his money spot. Guess that’s why I’m not a coach.

Ironically, I always thought the opposite about Jeff Thomas. Still think he would’ve been an elite corner.

Ironically, I always thought the opposite about Jeff Thomas. Still think he would’ve been an elite corner.
He was a really good db in high school. But nah WR was his main position. Not going to get into the what ifs and all that.

I'm really not worried about WR all that much - or at least not worried about the drops aspect of our WR group that much. First of all our WRs will be better as a whole than all but like 2-3 teams DB group that we face this year? Right now I'll be more worried about the overall speed and deep threat ability of our WRs than them dropping passes. Like if you gave me two options to choose from:

A) Your WRs don't drop any passes but you don't have a deep threat and the WRs aren't fully understanding the offense
or
B) Your WRs are fully understanding the offense and you do have a real deep threat step up, but you're dropping more balls than average..

I'm going to choose B right now. Catching the ball is a basic aspect of being a WR, but ultimately if you have these guys go and catch 100-200 passes after every practice and during summer, they WILL improve unless they just naturally suck **** at catching. Either that or it's just a confidence think or lack of concentration. That stuff can improve quickly.

It's more important having the full offense in place and someone stepping up as that deep threat. Cause look, if you have a deep threat and maybe he drops a couple of the bombs (and catches a lot of others), at least the defenses will have to respect it. If you don't have a deep threat, then the defenses won't even have to respect that aspect of the offense and it makes everyones job more difficult.

I'm more concerned with the OLine in general and whether TVD is going to be elite this year. IF TVD is elite and our OLine is good, I really don't think our WRs dropping a couple more balls than average is really going to hurt us all that much.

Advertisement
Back