Let’s talk wide receivers

Unless Redding , Horton , Colbie or Ladson steps up we won’t have a guy who can go up and make difficult catches 1 v 1 like Rambo. He wasn’t big or physical but he had a knack for winning those battles. That’s why I say this can be a solid / consistent group. Just play their roles without trying to be something they aren’t. Imo that’s enough to go with the current te’s, rb’s and qb.
I feel like Brinson can win those 50/50 balls. And Mallory has won some as well when given the chance (obviously not a wr, but has lined up wide several times)

Advertisement
If they are open drops I am getting concerned. If they are contested drops its likely our wr's are adjusting to the new physicality of the cb's. The coaches may be letting some additional contact go in practice in order to toughen up the wr corp.

This drop thing was going on back in April. I hoped that we'd have this cleaned up by now and somebody besides X would assert themselves.

That’s why I was skeptical with bringing in a OC like Gattis. The same **** happened with Enos, any OC that wants to run a pro style and complex attack at Miami should be fired immediately. I went to the first spring game with Enos and 80% of the players were lost and having to be guided to their spots by position coaches. This years spring game wasn’t as bad but the offense was boring and slow as fck. No explosion whatsoever.

Gattis is a great OC and coach no doubt, but he’s definitely not a fit here in my opinion. At Miami, it should be a no brainer to run a simple spread yet balanced offense predicated on space and speed. We were clamoring for the spread for a decade and we finally got a glimpse of its effectiveness last year when King went down and Lashlee decided to let TVD air it out. We were winning games by simply outscoring our opponents. Now when Mario comes in everyone suddenly forgets about it and decides to give Mario the benefit of the doubt just because. I’m just letting y’all know now, this offense will not be very good and expect the defense to carry the team. Thankfully we have an outstanding QB, because if it wasn’t for that we would really be doomed.
Any OC will always be an extension of the HC, and run what he wants run. Gattis will take his take his direction from Mario. I’m just trying to be optimistic that like Saban, Mario has realized that heavy run stuff isn’t the move and may stifle a guy like TVD. Soo idk how mad ppl can be at Gattis if things don’t look how they want offensively.

I feel like Brinson can win those 50/50 balls. And Mallory has won some as well when given the chance (obviously not a wr, but has lined up wide several times)
Mallory? Arroyo? Sure but none of these wr’s have consistently shown to be that guy so far, practice or games. Which is fine , it’s college not the nfl. There’s a lot bigger windows to throw in and scheming guys open is a lot easier. That’s why I say do it by committee , everyone have a role and be consistent. We don’t need a Rambo type season.

Last edited:
So I understand you correctly, we’re blaming Gattis for WRs who can’t perform the most basic attribute of a WR…….catching the ball lol. Outside of Rambo what have the those same WRs done since being under Lashee and now under Gattis?

Last year the passing game was Rambo, TE, Harley the screen play and then sprinkled in freshman WRs. And we still had a bunch of drops from WRs
Did any of these guys have issues last year? It’s 100% on the coach if his players can’t master the fundamentals. I’m sure you blamed Manny when his defensive players couldn’t tackle. That’s literally the job of a coach.

Advertisement
If they are open drops I am getting concerned. If they are contested drops its likely our wr's are adjusting to the new physicality of the cb's. The coaches may be letting some additional contact go in practice in order to toughen up the wr corp.

This drop thing was going on back in April. I hoped that we'd have this cleaned up by now and somebody besides X would assert themselves.
That's what I'm saying context matters if it is improved and tight coverage from the DBs someone has to look bad whether it's offense or defense

I’m up in NC. This years Heels team is different. They’ve had just as much or more talent than us in recent years. Not this year. They are down.
All the have is the speedy slot receiver Downs, we can double him and force everyone else to beat us

Advertisement
How often did he do that? I didn't say he never did it in a game but too often he held onto the ball too long.
you stated a potential concern with TVD. I gave an example opposite of that view. But in all honestly, are we really doing this when TVD was 66% with 20 TDs to 3 Int in the second half of the year. Kid appears to be the sole of the team. Instead, of being concerned, let's get freakin pumped for the opportunity this team has in front of it. Will they let us down at some point, likely, but for now lets get pumped!

you stated a potential concern with TVD. I gave an example opposite of that view. But in all honestly, are we really doing this when TVD was 66% with 20 TDs to 3 Int in the second half of the year. Kid appears to be the sole of the team. Instead, of being concerned, let's get freakin pumped for the opportunity this team has in front of it. Will they let us down at some point, likely, but for now lets get pumped!
The concern was that he didn't do it consistently. The difference between good and great is how much you improve on weaknesses. He was good last year but everyone here myself included expects him to be great this year.

Just a thought here, but maybe the corners are just that more physical as they press on the wr's. From many accounts, the D is playing aggressively in Steele's scheme compared to Manolo's. Not being blind to the wr challenges as they need to catch the ball. Let's see how they perform against Southern Miss. A good tune up before A&M.

If our WR show some life and can step up , Clemson and A&M are winnable games in my opinion. Especially if the defense is as stout as we are proclaiming to be. If you go back and look at 2020 vs Clemson yes we got handled at the Line but we still had our chances on the Outside. Wiggins and pope got bullied I remember Wiggins fell down on a 50/50 ball got it picked and I think pope just got bullied for a int to. If we actually had some dawgs at WR that game I’m sure it’s a lot closer. I really really hope we don’t have a repeat of 2020 when it comes to the WR room . Lost the bowl game cause they just wouldn’t catch the ball.

PS does anybody know how our defense stacks up against A&M and Clemsons defense like are we just as good or below them ?

Advertisement
The concern was that he didn't do it consistently. The difference between good and great is how much you improve on weaknesses. He was good last year but everyone here myself included expects him to be great this year.
You can say that about any QB, including Brady and Rogers. Why not argue the 3 hole hitter is only hitting 350. Further, no examples of TVDs inconsistency have been noted. And he struggled in the first half of the FShatU game is a really bad example when he brought them back and put us up 2 scores. Oh yea, the short pass over the middle to Rooster who took it the house in that game, yea, there is another example.

We’ve had some of the worst coaching for 20 years and now we are complaining that the kids are getting too much coaching lmao can’t make it up. I hope like **** gattis is hard on these kids

We’ve had some of the worst coaching for 20 years and now we are complaining that the kids are getting too much coaching lmao can’t make it up. I hope like **** gattis is hard on these kids
Who said they were getting coached too hard ?

Advertisement
You can say that about any QB, including Brady and Rogers. Why not argue the 3 hole hitter is only hitting 350. Further, no examples of TVDs inconsistency have been noted. And he struggled in the first half of the FShatU game is a really bad example when he brought them back and put us up 2 scores. Oh yea, the short pass over the middle to Rooster who took it the house in that game, yea, there is another example.
Ok nvm TVD is the best to eva do it.

Is it possible they are getting pushed hard mentally to see what they can handle? Then Gattis will throttle back to what they can handle and then build off that as the season progresses?

I believe this is what is happening. No sense in ratcheting down the intensity when you haven’t played a game.

It would be nice if he installs some of the concepts from last year for continuity. But it’s still camp. He is teaching his system to a lot of young guys facing a defense that got much more physical overnight. They all, including Gattis, will need time to adjust.

Not sure its been brought up...I only skimmed. But other then A&M and Clemson who has a defense that has DB's that can come up and play physical and make it work. I'm going with the mind set that iron sharpens iron so our WR's even if they are not the 2nd coming of Andre Johnson are more than capable of helping us win as they are going against a defense in practice that we are being told has a chance to be really good. I mean who ever is getting matched up on Stevenson alone is going to breathe a sigh of relief in games. We've heard Couch is playing well. We have 3 really good safeties. Our WR's catch a few balls in games 1-2 they start to realize practice is harder then games most weeks.

Advertisement
Back