Let’s talk wide receivers

That gets shut down against any decent team and can't run the ball on even mediocre defenses. Respectfully brah, he ain't Enos. And I would rather wait until I see the product before determining if it's a failure
The offense Mario wants to run requires every position on the offense to have top end talent. You need an elite offensive line that can run and pass block, great backs and WR’s that create separation with little to no space to work with. Not to mention a QB that can run the complex system. There’s no arguing the spread does have flaws and is exposed at times, but what I don’t think you realize it gives MIAMI the best chance of success. Miami should never be under center and the TE’s be the focal point of the offense, we should be high flying and exciting to watch. And I hate to say it, but as long as we primarily recruit South Florida, our kids will never have the capacity to learn complex NFL type systems.

Advertisement
On CIS we hear that WR room is struggling except for X, so my question is what is X‘s level of impact? More Rambo or more Osborne

Cribby - let me ask you a different question. Aside from X (who we know is a dog), are the rest of the group hard workers? Are these guys putting in extra time studying the playbook, catching after practice, etc.? Or they going thru the motions?

Everyone on the team including the WR's have to know the WR position is our biggest issue. You would hope a Smith (he should be our #1), Ladson (his last chance if he wants a shot at NFL), George, B Smith, Redding, etc. would be putting in the extra work to step up and take that #1 or at least starting spots.

Regardless, I'm putting this on Gattis. Way too many 4 star WR's to all be JAGs. Either simplify the offense or motivate them to put in the extra work needed.

EDIT: And please explain why he cant hire Mark Duper as an analyst? Seriously, has no one called him??? What am i missing here? LOL but actually dead serious

Advertisement
The offense Mario wants to run requires every position on the offense to have top end talent. You need an elite offensive line that can run and pass block, great backs and WR’s that create separation with little to no space to work with. Not to mention a QB that can run the complex system. There’s no arguing the spread does have flaws and is exposed at times, but what I don’t think you realize it gives MIAMI the best chance of success. Miami should never be under center and the TE’s be the focal point of the offense, we should be high flying and exciting to watch. And I hate to say it, but as long as we primarily recruit South Florida, our kids will never have the capacity to learn complex NFL type systems.
South Florida kids go everywhere else and learn complex offenses. The defense is learning a more complex scheme too and it sounds like they’re not having any problems.

I agree with what you’ve been saying but its the coaches job to teach the players, if almost all of them are having trouble learning the playbook then its a teaching problem

Is it possible they are getting pushed hard mentally to see what they can handle? Then Gattis will throttle back to what they can handle and then build off that as the season progresses?
CAAA73B3-2B74-48EA-A8AD-B303EA3DB6B1.gif

Advertisement
So I heard somewhere that 1 receiver particularly is responsible for the majority of the drops. True or no?
I've actually seen clips of drills where the ball hardly hit the ground. Different in 7-7 & scrimmages I gather.

So I heard somewhere that 1 receiver particularly is responsible for the majority of the drops. True or no?
I've actually seen clips of drills where the ball hardly hit the ground. Different in 7-7 & scrimmages I gather.
The viewing period is typically 30-45 minutes on occasion. Whatever you saw is not the full picture.

If we lose 1-2 guys at a couple spots we won’t make it. OL and DT must stay healthy. Front like talent without depth is tough for a long season. It takes 2-3 years of building depth / talent. Just look at Clemson last year, they won double figure games in a season most teams drop 5-6. They had enough talent and depth to overcome the ridiculous amount of injuries.
Or Oregon last year. Had half the starters out including all the skill players yet won 10 games.

I don’t think that’s true, we’ve just lacked the staff and support to get the local kids up to speed effectively. We have that now. Still, it won’t happen overnight. So will be interesting to see the growing pains and adjustments made. Mario wants to win this season. 10-2 would have us closing a top 5 class.

Advertisement
I’m going to stop complaining about this issue. It is what it is. Fall camp is just confirming what I expected. We desperately needed a KJ this season. Oh well.

TVD would’ve been fun to watch with some ballers.

I felt there was no better time than now to discuss the pink elephant in the room. Yes….I’m talking the wr’s. I had a big part in creating this narrative in early spring. At that time me and a certain poster had a disagreement about the wr group , the poster mentioned he had heard the wr’s were balling. I told him it’s more like the opposite , they’re struggling, we had quite the battle lol. So since I had a small hand in creating this narrative figured it’s only right I pull everyone back off the life boat…..FOR NOW!!

First let’s fact check….are some wr’s dropping balls ? Yes….too many and it’s unacceptable. Are guys having issues picking up the offense ? Yes. Is there concerns about this group going into the season? YES!! Is X far and away the most consistent performer since spring? Yes.

Now let’s get to the part that doesn’t add up, these same guys that are dropping passes now wasn’t doing it last year. At practice or in games. JG was returning punts as a true Fr and was the most consistent guy the entire year. You don’t put guys with suspect hands back for the most hectic , dangerous play in football. Theres literally eleven guys flying down hill and you only have a split second to make up your mind.

So the question I have his why did this suddenly become a major issue? Here’s some of my theories.

1. Guys are thinking more than playing. They went from a elementary style offense which is known for easy route concepts and even easier playbook to learn. The whole point of that O was to not think, just play and fast. This year it went to a college level playbook and it’s busting their asses. Instead of just running a route , putting your foot in the dirt breaking that thing off you’re unsure, maybe even looking at hashes so know where to round it off or just not confident in the assignment / play call.

2. They’re actually facing a really good defense every day, I’ve been told by too many people to count this is as legit of a defense we’ve had in a minute. Big , fast and very physical. Especially a secondary who’s finally allowed to rough up wr’s off the line , which is hurting clean get offs. That leads to no separation. That’s not a good equation for success when most of the wr’s are kinda light in the ***. The one guy giving the D issues is X who’s 5’10 200.

3. Young guys pressing. We forget majority of these guys are getting their first real serious burn and are being asked to be more than role players. JG, RB and BS was the core that was being expected to take this group into the future. It’s different when you aren’t the fourth , fifth or sixth option.

4. Maybe they just aren’t as good as their ranking or as good as we thought they were. The rankings and us as fans overvalued this group.

So now the question is can coaches do anything to take the pressure off or put them in better situations? @LuCane and myself both mentioned that maybe Gattis could implement a little bit of what Lashlee was doing towards the end of last season. Ease up the playbook ,possibly throw in some of the route concepts and wider splits, which gives them more space to work with. I’m willing to bet they’re pressing at this point and as I said it’s likely mental. Simplifying things has been known to work, I’ve seen it too many times to count.

I’m not ready to throw the season away just yet even though I know wr is a concern. Confidence is a weird thing after guys make some plays when bullets start flying. They won’t face a better defense during the season , so it’s all down hill week one.

All we need is this group to be consistent, thats it. Not Andre J, Santana or even Rambo. Consistent Everyone play their role.

Imo we won’t see any 18 % drop rates this year like a couple guys who are no longer here.
I haven’t seen any real concentrated pile of plays so my opinion is questionable at best but I think the absence on an absolute ALPHA #1 guy really adds to this. A real leader alpha number 1 guy brings the level up across the board. When the guys you also compete against are dropping balls it becomes more acceptable.

Advertisement
Like 7-5 best chance? Michigan had a bum at QB, and Oregon had a RB at QB. They both won double digit games in conferences similar to the ACC. Don't think either were stacked like Bama. Actually Michigan composite talent ranking going into last season is exactly where we are going into this season.

I think the WR’s are going to B fine. With TVD slinging the rock, X shredding the middle of the field from the slot and with our dynamic TE’s and the RB’s getting involved in the passing game, that should really open up a lot of opportunities for the WR’s to show out and make some BIG plays this year. Unlike the last staph, there’s going to be a next man up mentally on this team and there isn’t a position on the field better suited for that type of mentality than the wideout group. Someone will step up!

All WR’s want the ball! Every WR’s wants to step up and make plays and be the man! It’s a show up and show out type of position. It’s also the position that produces the most Diva’s on any given squad because a lot of their game is mental. Confidence is the name of the game at that spot and once a wideout makes a big time play, it’s usually the spark that allows them to start playing free by not thinking about their assignments during the play.
Get open ,catch the ball and repeat on passing downs.

With that said, if one of these dudes drops a drive killing , game changing catch this year, they’re Moar than likely going to lose their spot to a dog that wants it Moar.
Which is every WR’s nightmare scenario. We’ve got extremely talented WR’s on this squad. Let’s see who seizes the moment and makes the most of their opportunities when the ball comes their way. Big Time Players Make Big Time Plays! We’ve finally got the coaches to coach em up! We gonna be fine!

TVD started 9 games bro I think you are jumping the gun. Restrepo has started how many games? We have not seen TVD work through his progressions and go to 2nd and 3 reads yet. We haven't seen TVD excel in the underneath game.
i respect your opinion which is why I'm surprised at your position (just as you maybe surprised at mine).
I was early on the TVD hype train going back to the 2nd half of the UVA game when I saw him make throws and show poise that was really uncommon for his age. I think he is an absolute stud and an early round draft pick next year.

As for the underneath game, very good observation, but let’s remember that when the plays were called for a throw to an RB; Harris against CCSU and Rooster against UNC, he took it. I know that is different then a true check down but i don’t see him as a gunslinger at all costs. I also loved the 4th down throw to Rooster and the lollipop throw to Smith against VTech. Maybe I’m too far forward on my skis on this but I’m going with it.

Advertisement
Back