Let’s talk wide receivers

Threaten Talladega Nights GIF
1C2A915F-EEEA-4B7B-9BD5-313FCC0E98C1.jpeg

Advertisement
Easy answer the wrs we recruited are jags. If I was an NFL guy I ain't drafting none of em. Can't wait till we start getting savages again Julio Jones Andre Johnson types. I expect this group to struggle never understood why everyone was in love with most of em like they were godly. I do like X and B Smith that's it. I want wr recruits from HS that OSU and Bama want. Bring me that
Can’t agree with this take. The class of Brinson, George and Smith was the highest rated WR recruiting class at Miami in 247 history. If you think you need 5 stat receivers to have a competent passing offense, you’re ignoring the dozens of programs who put up huge numbers with guys rated much lower than ours. ****, we had our best passing offense ever last year with a couple of guys who didn’t even get drafted leading the way. If Josh Gattis can’t get a bunch of highly rated 4 star guys to produce, we need to start questioning his ability as a WR coach. Especially when George, Brinson and Smith all played very well when given snaps last year.

Practice is one thing, games are another.

Ja'Marr Chase who is the best WR prospect since Julio Jones, struggled with drops during his first training camp with the Bengals. That didn't effect his season at all. I'm still holding at hope that it clicks for these guys or they gain some major confidence after two cupcake opponents.

People also compared Restrepo to Edelman and Welker as if we have one of the greatest QBs to live.
What?
We do have one of the best QB’s in college football. He isn’t Brady but we also won’t face any NFL defenses. The comparison does not mean Restrepo/TVD are as good as Walker/Brady, but it does mean that they are the equivalent at a lower level of football.
We effectively have the college version of Welker/Brady or so the argument goes. I think it’s an incredibly appropriate comparison as to how I believe Restrepo will be used, how productive I expect he will be, and how often our very, very, very good college QB will target Restrepo.

why not?

Advertisement
Practice is one thing, games are another.

Ja'Marr Chase who is the best WR prospect since Julio Jones, struggled with drops during his first training camp with the Bengals. That didn't effect his season at all. I'm still holding at hope that it clicks for these guys or they gain some major confidence after two cupcake opponents.
Chase sat out his entire senior year of college, i agree with your point but that isn’t a good reference man lol

rebuilds take time for a reason...we aint there yet.
I just hope when the L's come that fans give Mario his 4 years like everyone else gets before going off the deep end.
give the man time and be realistic about your expectations.

Great post, im higher on Gattis as a WR coach than OC but the point about players thinking more than playing is spot on in alot of cases. Hopefully with game reps it clicks and we can have a productive offense for possibly TVDs last year

Advertisement
rebuilds take time for a reason...we aint there yet.
I just hope when the L's come that fans give Mario his 4 years like everyone else gets before going off the deep end.
give the man time and be realistic about your expectations.
Manny got fired after three and we were done with Richt after three. This ain’t a four year rebuild.

Coming from the simplicity of Air Raid principled passing attack where you dont have to be precise because it gets results was always gonna be a tough transition for our WR to dealing with Gattis who look like he got them running precise routes like Curtis Johnson (only guy I seen that would be right there when WR break on routes and make them do it again).. That transition was always gonna be a tough one, I think we should be good at finding guys to gain confidence as season goes on but hopefully this is just growing pains..

Wont speak on it til we see offense on field.. We have a ton of bodies, somebody has to step up right? RIGHT?!

We also need some SPEEEEEEED..

Advertisement
That’s why I was skeptical with bringing in a OC like Gattis. The same **** happened with Enos, any OC that wants to run a pro style and complex attack at Miami should be fired immediately. I went to the first spring game with Enos and 80% of the players were lost and having to be guided to their spots by position coaches. This years spring game wasn’t as bad but the offense was boring and slow as fck. No explosion whatsoever.

Gattis is a great OC and coach no doubt, but he’s definitely not a fit here in my opinion. At Miami, it should be a no brainer to run a simple spread yet balanced offense predicated on space and speed. We were clamoring for the spread for a decade and we finally got a glimpse of its effectiveness last year when King went down and Lashlee decided to let TVD air it out. We were winning games by simply outscoring our opponents. Now when Mario comes in everyone suddenly forgets about it and decides to give Mario the benefit of the doubt just because. I’m just letting y’all know now, this offense will not be very good and expect the defense to carry the team. Thankfully we have an outstanding QB, because if it wasn’t for that we would really be doomed.
You make a valid point, but here's the thing --

Gattis is doing what Mario wants him to do.

If you look at all of the other rumored OC's they were pretty much cut from the same pro-style cloth.

That’s why I was skeptical with bringing in a OC like Gattis. The same **** happened with Enos, any OC that wants to run a pro style and complex attack at Miami should be fired immediately. I went to the first spring game with Enos and 80% of the players were lost and having to be guided to their spots by position coaches. This years spring game wasn’t as bad but the offense was boring and slow as fck. No explosion whatsoever.

Gattis is a great OC and coach no doubt, but he’s definitely not a fit here in my opinion. At Miami, it should be a no brainer to run a simple spread yet balanced offense predicated on space and speed. We were clamoring for the spread for a decade and we finally got a glimpse of its effectiveness last year when King went down and Lashlee decided to let TVD air it out. We were winning games by simply outscoring our opponents. Now when Mario comes in everyone suddenly forgets about it and decides to give Mario the benefit of the doubt just because. I’m just letting y’all know now, this offense will not be very good and expect the defense to carry the team. Thankfully we have an outstanding QB, because if it wasn’t for that we would really be doomed.
That gets shut down against any decent team and can't run the ball on even mediocre defenses. Respectfully brah, he ain't Enos. And I would rather wait until I see the product before determining if it's a failure

Advertisement
You make a valid point, but here's the thing --

Gattis is doing what Mario wants him to do.

If you look at all of the other rumored OC's they were pretty much cut from the same pro-style cloth.
There’s a reason why Mario ignored a bunch of established spread OCs to hire a guy with three years experience. I’m hoping this doesn’t backfire.

Chase sat out his entire senior year of college, i agree with your point but that isn’t a good reference man lol
Lol I know, I didn't really like it when I typed it out but hit enter. My point is, can we see these guys in real games before we say the whole room as drop issues?

1. Guys are thinking more than playing. They went from a elementary style offense which is known for easy route concepts and even easier playbook to learn. The whole point of that O was to not think, just play and fast. This year it went to a college level playbook and it’s busting their asses. Instead of just running a route , putting your foot in the dirt breaking that thing off you’re unsure, maybe even looking at hashes so know where to round it off or just not confident in the assignment / play call.
IF this ^ is THE problem, then all eyes should be on Gattis to fix it. Gattis seem like a very smart football coach. Hopefully, Gattis does not let his ego and pride get in the way. Simplify the offense for the WRs and take advantage of an NFL caliber QB.

Don‘t be an Enos.

Last edited:
Great post

Some really good observations in there

As usual I’m sure it’s a combination of a lot of things

Not to be too overly optimistic but it’s also practice. Yes you should practice the way you play but we know that’s not really true all the time

I saw George and in particular Key Smith make absurd catches last year. They don’t have “bad hands”

I am cautiously optimistic this is going to work itself out and not be a lingering issue

Advertisement
Back