Lessons from Jeff Stoutland

Advertisement
Richt and Searles have completely mishandled oline recruiting.

2016 - Tre Johnson, our only recruit, left the program. I can dismiss this effort because it was a transition class. So with only one signee in 16, it should've been imperative to hit a home run in 2017.

2017 - Herbert, Donaldson, Hillery, & Dykstra. Nice mix of prospects. Not a home run class but a good enough foundation if we develop them right.

2018 - We lose two starters in KC & Darling. We recruit Scaife, Reed, and Campbell. Strong 3. Richt tells ESPN that Miami will be back when these 3 players are ready to start. Despite various players struggling all year long, Richt never starts Reed or Campbell. Scaife looked great.

2019 - The 2017 class didn't meet their expectations. Neal counts down the days before he can sign his NLI to Alabama. Our only two oline commits are on official visits to UF. Both of them unofficially visited UF last month as well. We should've made a much wider search this year. Ideally, we would sign 4 or 5 recruits this cycle w/ 3 projecting to offensive tackle.

Last edited by a moderator:

2016 - Tre Johnson, our only recruit, left the program. I can dismiss this effort because it was a transition class. So with only one signee in 16, it should've been imperative to hit a home run in 2017.

2017 - Herbert, Donaldson, Hillery, & Dykstra. Nice mix of prospects. Not a home run class but a good enough foundation if we develop them right.

2018 - We lose two starters in KC & Darling. We recruit Scaife, Reed, and Campbell. Strong 3. Richt tells ESPN that Miami will be back when these 3 players are ready to start. Despite various players struggling all year long, Richt never starts Reed or Campbell. Scaife looked great.

2019 - The 2017 class didn't meet their expectations. Neal counts down the days before he can sign his NLI to Alabama. Our only two oline commits are on official visits to UF. Both of them unofficially visited UF last month as well. We should've made a much wider search this year. Ideally, we would sign 4 or 5 recruits this cycle w/ 3 projecting to offensive tackle.

I really liked Last years class. They come back this year and i was ho hum about it...even with the commits. We need to recruit that position at a high level EVERY YEAR....I mean Nationally...But im still olf the mind we need a Grad Transfer and a Juco guy....we have some weight on the OL that really needs to be processed. We're not where we at until we start churning the roster to where guys have to transfer out that get beat out by freshmen

Advertisement
I really liked Last years class. They come back this year and i was ho hum about it...even with the commits. We need to recruit that position at a high level EVERY YEAR....I mean Nationally...But im still olf the mind we need a Grad Transfer and a Juco guy....we have some weight on the OL that really needs to be processed. We're not where we at until we start churning the roster to where guys have to transfer out that get beat out by freshmen

Reed and Campbell have to be ready to go for UF next year. Richt knows this. I wish they got more in game experience this year but it is what it is. The Butler OT would help a lot. We may need 2 grad transfers since it looks like we're too late or didn't win over JUCO linemen.

Our problem is we need all of our high 3* and 4* kids to be starter level, or our depth falls apart. We don't evaluate or develop our kids well enough to sustain depth. Additionally, we are way too selective with offers.

I’ve been saying this since Richt whiffed his first class, and I don’t give a pass because failing to hit the line hard when he got here was a big big big mistake. He should have scoured the juco and transfer market hard to bolster the line. Then the next cycle, the evals were awful. I was not too high on Herbert but he was ranked highly. Hillery I was not very high on either, but guys here talked themselves into irrationality on his potential. Dykstra, whatever. Leftovers from Iowa rarely work for us. Donaldson and Gaynor were the two takes I liked in that class.

I liked the takes in ‘18, but it was painfully obvious we needed another kid or two in that class, and Richt again went passive and stood on three kids.

And now ‘19, train wreck so far. Tarquin and Eguakun may be takes, but we need 5 legit kids to get back to some depth and competition in 2 years. Richt/Searels have just not done what they need on OL. We cannot compete with top teams with the OL they have.

Stoutland is obviously a quality coach but I refrain from slurping him as I'm still not sure to what extent he and Pannunzio threw us under the bus to the NCAA while they were at Alabaga.

Last edited:
Advertisement
We need talent on the line, period. Mahoney and Donaldson aren't studs that require us to not recruit more guards, tackles, or centers. Stack chips.
Then we’ll end up with a depth chart filled with guards lol

Go ask Alabama fans how much sleep they're losing about having 8 five stars at every position. Again...stack chips. At guards, tackles, and everywhere else
But Bama would sign 5* tackles and guards...not just guards.

Advertisement
I’ve been saying this since Richt whiffed his first class, and I don’t give a pass because failing to hit the line hard when he got here was a big big big mistake. He should have scoured the juco and transfer market hard to bolster the line. Then the next cycle, the evals were awful. I was not too high on Herbert but he was ranked highly. Hillery I was not very high on either, but guys here talked themselves into irrationality on his potential. Dykstra, whatever. Leftovers from Iowa rarely work for us. Donaldson and Gaynor were the two takes I liked in that class.

I liked all the tales in ‘18, but it was painfully obvious we needed another kid or two in that class, amd Richt again went passive and stood on three kids.

And now ‘19, train wreck so far. Tarquin and Eguakun may be takes, but we need 5 legit kids to get back to some depth and competition in 2 years. Richt/Searels have just not done what they need on OL. We cannot compete with top teams with the OL they have.

Agree. I saw Hillary at paradise camp and he didn’t inspire any confidence in me...so when I heard Herbert couldnt separate himself from Hillary, I knew we were in even deeper trouble.

Now, we lost our only two players to UF.

Add in QB recruiting and coaching. I won’t even say anything about playcalling and the QB flip flopping

Stoutland is obviously a quality coach but I refrain from slurping him as I'm still not sure to what extent he and Pannunzio threw us under the bus to the NCAA while they were at Alabaga.
It is interdasting that saban hired those two plus mario.

Somehow I suspect he ain’t hiring rumph, searels and banda.

Advertisement
OT Mark Fox- South Carolina commit from Northwestern. Other offers include Georgia, Florida, and Auburn. Miami hasn't offered.
OT Wardrick Wilson- Florida commit from Carol City. Other offers include Georgia, Michigan, Nebraska, Tennessee, and Kentucky. Miami hasn't offered.
Guard Maurice Smith- Boston College commit from Miami Central. Other offers include Florida State and Mississippi State. Miami hasn't offered.
OT Kaleb Boateng- Uncommitted prospect from Ft. Lauderdale with a Boston College offer. Miami hasn't offered.
Center Vincent Murphy- South Carolina commit from St. Thomas. Other offers include Texas, Florida, and Michigan State. Miami hasn't offered.
OT Jake Pope- Kentucky commit from St. Thomas. Other offers include Michigan State, N.C. State, and Virginia Tech. Miami hasn't offered.

All of the guys listed above are from South Florida but for some reason we go and offer a guy like CJ Elmonus from North Carolina when it looks like our offensive line commits are wavering.
Holy **** man. We have ONE ******* Oline commitment right now who is on the verge of flipping to UF any minute, and have absolutely no chance at landing our top target Evan Neal, and we still haven't offered the best south florida Olineman...smfh. Fire Searles already, ****.

Holy **** man. We have ONE ******* Oline commitment right now who is on the verge of flipping to UF any minute, and have absolutely no chance at landing our top target Evan Neal, and we still haven't offered the best south florida Olineman...smfh. Fire Searles already, ****.
I'm not defending Searles but we did offer Maurice Smith yesterday. He's the best offensive lineman in Dade this class.

Advertisement
Back