Lessons from Jeff Stoutland

2018 was a weak class locally. We got Scaife and he’s our best OL by a mile.

In 2019, Dontae Lucas made freshman AA teams and was voted one of Athlon’s 35 breakout players for 2020.

But the real frustration came from Kaleb Boateng. He’s a guy I posted about all year. When we were scrambling late, he seemed like a no-brainer offer. We still ignored him. Then on signing day, he signed with Clemson.

Dontae Lucas reminds me of another Donaldson (who also got Fresh AA) dude is fat and was unimpressive... mostly getting the honors due to freshmen playing little at the position

Scaife I will agree has been our best olinemen in a room that is a joke.

I’m not even going to talk about Kaleb who is currently an after thought and I’m sure even die hard clemson fans on their boards would have to be reminded of him even being on the roster

Advertisement
Dontae Lucas reminds me of another Donaldson (who also got Fresh AA) dude is fat and was unimpressive... mostly getting the honors due to freshmen playing little at the position

Scaife I will agree has been our best olinemen in a room that is a joke.

I’m not even going to talk about Kaleb who is currently an after thought and I’m sure even die hard clemson fans on their boards would have to be reminded of him even being on the roster

Re:Kaleb

He may be an after thought at Clemson but that’s only because there is depth. But he will be a starter for them at some point either ‘21/‘22. While there are exceptions, most of the blue chip OL at the elite schools aren’t playing as 17-18 years old unless they’re just physically gifted (Neal,Leatherwood). Kaleb probably starts at Miami last year

2018 was a weak class locally. We got Scaife and he’s our best OL by a mile.

In 2019, Dontae Lucas made freshman AA teams and was voted one of Athlon’s 35 breakout players for 2020.

But the real frustration came from Kaleb Boateng. He’s a guy I posted about all year. When we were scrambling late, he seemed like a no-brainer offer. We still ignored him. Then on signing day, he signed with Clemson.
Lucas was never coming here as long as Lockette was at FSU but they definitely miss evaluated Boateng. Makes you wonder if Richt was already half way out the door at the end of signing day cause the put all there eggs in the Evan Neal basket and we knew he wasn’t coming.

Advertisement
Boateng actually played in four games for Clemson as a true freshman.

Adam El-Gammal, who we took over Boateng, played zero.

Boateng played? Was it in mop up duty when they were blowing out whatever directional school from *insert state here*?!

Lucas was never coming here as long as Lockette was at FSU but they definitely miss evaluated Boateng. Makes you wonder if Richt was already half way out the door at the end of signing day cause the put all there eggs in the Evan Neal basket and we knew he wasn’t coming.
For whatever reason, Richt had totally mailed it in his entire last 12 months on the job. At the end of an awful 2018 regular season that saw his offense collapse, the staff he oversaw had the following recruiting class lined up. No QB, no RB, 1 WR (Payton), 1 TE (Hodges), no OL.

What the **** was going on? That’s when they started swinging wildly at transfers like Kennedy and Martin and G5 OL commits like Nelson and Elgammal. Fortunately, the Pinstripe Bowl was the final straw and he quit. But, he did a lot of damage in that last 12 months.

Clemson OLs very rarely get proper playing time til their third or fourth year in the program. One of the reasons why they have good offensive line play.

Advertisement

Do you know if Richt/Searles evaluated him and didn’t like him or if they just never paid attention? Based on the offensive recruiting during that 2018 season, it’s certainly logical it was the latter.

Boateng played? Was it in mop up duty when they were blowing out whatever directional school from *insert state here*?!

Dabo played 111 players vs Charlotte last year. He also, I believe, eclipsed 90+ in other games. I get the premise D is trying to make but if we had the luxury of being up 40-50 points in the 4th we put in more guys too. Unfortunately we stunk and were in for the battle of our lives in the directional school game we played this year.

Just looked and he played 91 vs GT too.

Last edited:
For whatever reason, Richt had totally mailed it in his entire last 12 months on the job. At the end of an awful 2018 regular season that saw his offense collapse, the staff he oversaw had the following recruiting class lined up. No QB, no RB, 1 WR (Payton), 1 TE (Hodges), no OL.

What the **** was going on? That’s when they started swinging wildly at transfers like Kennedy and Martin and G5 OL commits like Nelson and Elgammal. Fortunately, the Pinstripe Bowl was the final straw and he quit. But, he did a lot of damage in that last 12 months.

I felt he quit the moment we ended 2017 with 3 straight losses and then failed down the stretch with the 2018 class.

This post is 1.5 years old, and our OL still sucks. Barry's failure in South Florida (in a year when the region sent five OL to Top 10 teams) is particularly egregious.

Justice is doing a much better job of recruiting locally and seems to be more personable than the last two coaches. With that said, we still need to improve the body types along the OL. It's fine to have a couple undersized bulldogs, but we need more monsters like that 2013 OL. I hope we scour the national metro areas to see if there are any oversized basketball kids or DL converts that haven't blown up yet.

Here are the starters in spring, along with the last two classes:

Starters in spring

LT- Campbell (Orlando)
LG- Traore (Atlanta)
C- Gaynor (Broward)
RG- Scaife (Miami)
RT- Herbert (Broward)

Jalen Rivers (Jacksonville)
Chris Washington (Nashville)
Issiah Walker (Miami)

Ryan Rodriguez (Miami)
Laurence Seymore (Miami)
Michael McClaughlin (Broward)
I have been yelling at the rooftops about OL for years, as you know. I’m cautiously optimistic on Justice. Rivers strikes me as a decent, low risk prospect. Walker has high upside. We’re finally getting pieces that look like they’re legit and not hope-based.

Advertisement

Yeah man.

I'll give the staff a free pass on Zion Nelson. He shouldn't have played last year, but if you're going to take a developmental tackle, you kind of got to just let a staff have a few of those.

But El Gammal...brother, I have no idea wtf we were thinking with that one. Boateng was a much much better prospect.

Shout out to St. Paul. Cretin Derham Hall!

In all honesty - Stout was a great OL coach - we said that then and it has proven 100% true.
mpls,

i lived in the Twin Cities for 13 years and never met another Cane fanatic. welcome!

Home was by Lake of the Isles w work at the IDS. Go Canes!

El gammal is clearly a kid whose not gonna help you until his junior year. He physically has the tools and anyone who has an understanding what the traits you look for in an offensive tackle knows he’s a guy you take a chance on but he JUST NEEDS DEVELOPMENT. @DMoney touched on the “ microwave society “ that we live in where as fans we wanna see the results right now. But if a kid has three different offensive line coaches in two years he’s being retaught different skills/schools of thought when developing linemen. Zion had no business out there this past season but because of his poor performance does that make him a bad tackle? Are we gonna give young offensive linemen a pass knowing they need to develop or do we want results now? We can’t have it both ways. Buy in large the kids we bring in are normally bigger than the kids the played against in Highschool. With that being said let’s have realistic expectations. God for bid if Jalen rivers or walker starts and have a bad year. You guys will berate them.

Advertisement
Yeah man.

I'll give the staff a free pass on Zion Nelson. He shouldn't have played last year, but if you're going to take a developmental tackle, you kind of got to just let a staff have a few of those.

But El Gammal...brother, I have no idea wtf we were thinking with that one. Boateng was a much much better prospect.

We were thinking it’s December and we had struck out on 97% of our targets so take a chance on a guy with elite size that doesn’t trip over himself when he moves laterally, lol. Put a gun to my head and ask me do I think he will be a significant contributor here at UM? Probably not. Do I understand the take given our desperate situation and lack of numbers? Yes. Also kid has only been here a year and was being coached by the worst OL Coach we have had since I’ve been alive. Maybe Justice can atleast turn him into a viable backup. Btw, I’m not coming at you foul with this post I’m just speaking/thinking out loud in response to the bolded part.

Our offensive line is bad. And the class is looking shaky. This got me thinking about Jeff Stoutland. He was our OL coach from 2007 to 2010. While at Miami, Stoutland signed five linemen who went on to start games in the NFL. For comparison, Alabama only signed four during the same time period.

Stoutland is now the OL coach for the Philadelphia Eagles, and is considered one of the best in the NFL. I studied his evaluation patterns and learned a couple important things:

City over country: Canes fans love to say that “we need country kids and Midwestern farm boys on the offensive line.” This is wrong. Those kids don’t usually like the city of Miami. It’s not a cultural fit. Stoutland recognized this and focused on city kids. He signed good players from places like Memphis, Omaha and St. Paul. None of the kids he signed were from rural areas.

Build a wall around South Florida: Another myth is that we should not recruit South Florida OL. If you look at the guys who have started for us and gone on to the NFL in this decade, they are usually from South Florida. The busts (Wells, Milo, Gadbois, Dykstra) came from out of state. It is better to get the cream of the crop locally than out-of-state leftovers who are not as easy to evaluate. Stoutland signed 64% of his OL from South Florida.

Culture matters: Stoutland was known as a good recruiter who connected with players. He was also from New York City, which fits in well with the two points above. Searels is a hard-*** country boy from Trion, Georgia. I’ve heard he’s a good guy, but I’ve also heard he has trouble connecting with players. We need a great teacher first and foremost, but it also makes sense to find someone who can connect with city kids.

Stoutland's signees (2007-2010):

Brandon Linder (Broward)
Orlando Franklin (Palm Beach)
Jon Feliciano (Broward)
Seantrel Henderson (St. Paul, MN)
Harland Gunn (Omaha, NE)
Tyler Horn (Memphis, TN)
Brandon Washington (Miami)
Shane McDermott (Palm Beach)
Ben Jones (Miami)
Jermaine Johnson (Broward)
Jared Wheeler (Broward)
Malcolm Bunche (Newark, DE)
Jermaine Barton (Broward)
Cory White (Jacksonville)

Like so many others, if you have an OL coach like Stoutland, you make him decide to go pro FROM UM, you do not lose him to another college because your not willing to spend the money....

Saban, and the like, cherry picking our coaches like they are taking them from La. Tech or something is part of the big picture problem of where Miami chooses to be now....

Also funny that @DMoney is bragging about an Oline prospect that Clemson took as Olinemen have been notoriously one of the more underachieving positions Clemson fields... they don’t have quality go in the early rounds.. **** their best olinemen they had that was an AA for them went undrafted and is currently on the Dallas cowboys practice squad and has been awful.

They win in spite of Oline play at times....

We were thinking it’s December and we had struck out on 97% of our targets so take a chance on a guy with elite size that doesn’t trip over himself when he moves laterally, lol. Put a gun to my head and ask me do I think he will be a significant contributor here at UM? Probably not. Do I understand the take given our desperate situation and lack of numbers? Yes. Also kid has only been here a year and was being coached by the worst OL Coach we have had since I’ve been alive. Maybe Justice can atleast turn him into a viable backup. Btw, I’m not coming at you foul with this post I’m just speaking/thinking out loud in response to the bolded part.

Only problem with that was we had Boateng BEGGING for an offer all fall.

There were a few other SoFla offensive lineman that went P5 that were still committed-ish elsewhere and went unrecruited by Miami.

Those late takes on the OL were something else.

Advertisement
Back